Pothos Questions

Padose

So, Picasso has been eating his wax plant, regardless of what other greens I put in his cage. I have bought collards, kale, and tried other fruits, to no avail. He still munches on his wax plant.

I want to get another live plant, and Pothos is at the top of my list. It grows fast, but for those of you that have pothos, how fast? If he keeps nibbling on it, will it grow quick enough to keep up?

Other affordable plant options and why would be appreciated too, thanks!

I dont thinkg youll have anything to worry about as far as how fast the plat will grow there is no way he will eat the whole plant before it has time to regrow what was lost. You can also do a Ficus Tree.

I dont thinkg youll have anything to worry about as far as how fast the plat will grow there is no way he will eat the whole plant before it has time to regrow what was lost. You can also do a Ficus Tree.
Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case, my wife and I are going to go get one tonight. Our wax plant just is not growing very fast, and no matter what I do he nibbles a leaf or three every day it seems. I did get a ficus start, but I don't know how long it's going to take to grow into something more than a twig.

My pothos looked a little bare after a coupke weeks in his cage. He definatly did some damage. But it caught up with tge 6500k light and have had no competotion with him since that light

I have corn plants in my cages,seem to grow fairly well and have no toxicity to chams,hibiscus also has no toxicity. Ficus do have toxicity and are not recommended for big plant eaters... see plants on Resources this forum

I would worry a lot more about the toxicity of those plants than about them not growing fast enough to recover. Pothos contain oxalic acids, which are known to forward renal diseases - and chameleons in captivity unfortunately are really sensitive to renal problems. Hoya sp. (wax plant) contain glycosides and saponines, which won't be a good idea to "feed" chameleons as well. So I would remove any of those plants if eaten regularly (or in bigger amounts less often) and replace them with eatable, definitely non-toxic ones (e.g. Calystegia sp., Hibiscus sp., Tropaeolum majus). The flowers may be very attractive to Chamaeleo calyptratus, too. And a much more similar food to this found by chameleons in the wild than kale or collard.

Back
Top Bottom