Pothos plant

Leroux2008

I just bought a Pothos plant.... it took me FOREVERRRRR to find it in walmart because no one new what in the world I was talking about.... and when I asked someone she said Oooo nooo all we have is fern in the hanging plants..... and I look to the side and can obviously see Ivys hanging.... but it was hiding XD

Anyways to the point....... is there a certain way to trimming the pothos plant, like there is with bamboo? When you clip bamboo you have to clip it in certain spots or it wont grow back... like if you cut the stalks they dont grow back there but if you cut where the leaves me the stalk you can regrow another bamboo stalk......

I need to trim my pothos because it was unkept... it was the healthiest one I could find but its all over the place! I also dont want to start trimming it and then it dies because I did to much?

I seen some hibiscus at walmart also... but I was contemplating buying that for now... I think ima go back one of these days and get it for an outside plant for my chameleons since it supposidly needs alot of light and gets pretty big. I alsooooo seen an umbrella plant which if I have time I think im going get it tomorrow haha >>

Pothos <3
pothos.jpg

im no good with plants but from my experience pothos is very hardy and you can root the cuttings easily and then you have more pothosssss LOL

What do you mean by root the cuttings? Do you mean they grow roots when you cut them also like bamboo? Im mainly just wanting to know what would be the extents of cutting it... like how much can I cut without killing it?

if you cut off a pc and put it in a glass of water and wait a week or two, it can grow roots and then be planted in soil creating another plant. i have never really needed or wanted to cut my plants back i like them big and bushy. but i find pothos to be a very hardy plant and would think you could trim it alot with not many problems.

Okkkayyy Thank you much ^^ That is really neat.... Could you imagine..... one of our limbs getting cut off and regrowing to make a new us? =p I might try growing another one =D sounds fun

ya its pretty cool i just do it all the time its fun and i give em away. i even took the liitle piece of pothos that came in the container that my last baby cham came in and got it to grow roots so now its a growing plant.

to get them to root i useually cut off about a 4inch pc with one or two leaves and place that i a glass of water in the sun, they dont all root so the more you try the better the success you will have.

Ah okay pretty much a trial and error phase. Im definitely going to do some clipping and Ill just try to regrow the extra pieces. Thanx for your help by the way. =]

You can buy a rooting compound that will help them start to root....but of course, don't root them in the chameleon's cage. You don't want it to drink the water with the rooting compound in it!

dip the end of your cutting in some diluted Vit B rooting complex (or water it with it) and they will root in no time. :) Haha its probably good humans don't work that way..

haha i dont like to trim them, i kind of just let them go crazy. but just make sure you dont trim a lot, ive done that with ficus and it never grew the same again for some reason.

If a vine has reached the length you want, wait for the next leaf to appear then remove it. That should stop that vine from getting longer, though eventually you might find it creating two new vines.

That leads me to: if you want to bulk the plant up, clip the vines at the point where they root into the soil. They'll almost certainly produce multiple vines from that point.

Mine has grabbed the sides of the cage with its roots and is pretty well consuming the interior. I'm sure my chameleon (who can completely hide from me) is delighted by this.

Then you just need to keep an eye on it. You can nip those roots off before they grab on and even after they do you can cut them free. I actually like it, but I understand that many wouldn't.

my pothos are humongous! i love them like that.i find the longer the vines are the better to wrap and drape them on everything and over eachother and also allow them to hang down.i am letting mine grow wherever they chose to grow :) both my chams have a fav piece of the pothos vine they will snuggle up to every night,same one always..my boyfriend always looks in there after the lights go off and says the same thing..."where are they" and i say... "dear,they are in the exact same place they have been every night since we brought them home" lol ;)

lol I havnt stuck it in there yet so ima see how much I have t5o work with.... I have other plants in there also.... its in a hanging basket im not exactly sure how in the world ima hang that..... i might just set it at the bottom cut off the hanging basket thing and do something with the vines

Back
Top Bottom