pothos leaves starting to droop

True, they do not tolerate direct sun. But they certainly can be outdoor plants. Pothos is native to tropical regions of Southeast Asia, specifically Malaysia. If you live in a similar warm (65 to 85F), humid climate, you should have no trouble growing them outdoors. Even where I live I have them outside in pots hanging from/under trees in Summer.

If too much direct sunlight on the leaves and they will gradually become a pale washed out green color. In too little light, the new growth leaves will be very small and the stems thin and weak. If a Pothos receives too little water, the leaves will wilt and become weak. Some of the older leaves will turn bright yellow. If the soil is kept too moist, the roots will rot and cause the leaves to wilt because there is no way for the plant to absorb the moisture in the soil. With overwaterng, the leaves turn a dull, pale color. It takes awhile for this to happen. They are quite forgiving. They prefer water that is not too hard. If you have hard tap water, maybe collect some rain water for them. Note: Pothos LIKE to be quite potbound - 75% roots and 25% soil is fine!

You're lucky mine get burnt or they loose that nice waxy feeling the have. Hey thanks for all that info!

Well my cutting is doing superb but my big plant isn't! that's the problem. I think I over watered it at some point and also think that it was root bound. Thats when I repotted it in the same pot with new soil and trimmed back the roots. I think the roots are growing because when I gave the pole it climbs up a lil tug the soil was being dragged up with it if you know what I mean? My other pothos isn't doing to great (the hanging one) as the tips of the leaves go black and then the leaves eventually die and new growth is slow!

Well my cutting is doing superb but my big plant isn't! that's the problem. I think I over watered it at some point and also think that it was root bound. Thats when I repotted it in the same pot with new soil and trimmed back the roots. I think the roots are growing because when I gave the pole it climbs up a lil tug the soil was being dragged up with it if you know what I mean? My other pothos isn't doing to great (the hanging one) as the tips of the leaves go black and then the leaves eventually die and new growth is slow!

I experienced droopy leaves with all of my plants even though they had proper drainage, elevation and circulation. I think one of the bigger problems lies in the soil. What kind of soil are you using? Granted I am a major live-plant novice, but I have done tons of research (including talking to local plant nursery employees) and am currently trying out some different techniques. Feel free to read my blog, it's all about the basics on plants soils and my experimentations with them. Like I said, I am new to keeping live plants, but hopefully my blog gives you some more ideas.

I'm currently using topsoil in with the "big" climbing pothos. I have coir in with my cutting and also top soil with my hanging pothos.

I have coir in my cutting which is doing fine. In the ones that aren't doing so well (the climbing and the hanging) they both have top soil.

It probably has something to do with the sunlight/heat. Don't give them direct sunlight, and make sure they're not overheating. I left my hibiscus outside in the sun for a half hour after showering it, and the entire thing was droopy! After a few days in the a/c it straightened right up.

Also, have you recently relocated your plant? Some plants have a hard time adjusting, I know, I know, it sounds silly, but honest.

Nope the climbing one was fine then all of a sudden went right down hill. I find my plants actually do better when I don't water them :| ?

Back
Top Bottom