Potentially injured or sick chameleon

JacobPf

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veild, Female, she is (I think) 2 years old. How long has it been in your care? 1 and a half years
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once or twice a month
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 5-8 a day What is the schedule? Morning How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flukers orange cubes
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoomed Repti Calcium with D3, everyday
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle and little dripper. Twice a day, Yes I have seen her drink lately.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown droppings. Never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Shes been good for a long time. I got her at a reptile show a year and a half ago.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16 x 16 x 30 inches
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a dual lamp with a exo terra night heat bulb and a reptisun 10.0 mini
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? It's 79.3 degrees at the basking spot.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I dont know about the humidity, I spray twice a day.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants just plastic.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my basement, Not by any fans or air vents, It is kind of a high traffic area.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Colorado

Current Problem - Hello everyone, my chameleon yesterday was found at the bottom of her cage not moving at all, her left eye was purple and swollen. When saw this, I panicked and immediately got her out and inspected her. She wasn’t really moving and when she did she wasn’t opening her eyes and when she moved she would fall. I was very confused and concerned because she had eaten and drank that morning and was perfectly fine. It was quite late and I didn’t have the money to take her to the vet, but when I sat next to my heater she opened her eyes and started acting normal again. I’ve been keeping a close eye on her and she seems fine like before the incident. I just thought I’d come here and see if anyone knows why this happened because that really scared me and I dont want it to happen again. At first I thought she had fallen but I'm not sure. Thanks! Jacob.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 155
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 136
One more thing, could she be gravid? I saw her the other day trying to scratch/dig out of the bottom of her cage.

I’ll put my responses in red.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veild, Female, she is (I think) 2 years old. How long has it been in your care? 1 and a half years
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 5-8 a day What is the schedule? Morning How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flukers orange cubes She should be fed that amount every other day now that she is an adult. Crickets are ok but you should be giving a variety of feeders. The orange cubes are not good. Fresh organic fruits, veggies and some better commercial mixes are suggested. Attaching feeder and gutloading sheets.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoomed Repti Calcium with D3, everyday She is getting too much D3. Should be calcium without D3 every feeding and then calcium with D3 every other week, alternating with a multivitamin. Some use Repashy calcium with LoD with every feeding and nothing else.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle and little dripper. Twice a day, Yes I have seen her drink lately.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown droppings. Never been tested. Is always a good idea to get a fecal done for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Shes been good for a long time. I got her at a reptile show a year and a half ago.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16 x 16 x 30 inches She really needs a much bigger enclosure. A 24x24x48 is a good size.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a dual lamp with a exo terra night heat bulb and a reptisun 10.0 mini You need a linear T5 fixture with a 5% uvb bulb. Coiled bulbs do not provide adequate uvb.

• Getting called away...will finish in a bit or someone else can take over.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? It's 79.3 degrees at the basking spot.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I dont know about the humidity, I spray twice a day.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants just plastic.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my basement, Not by any fans or air vents, It is kind of a high traffic area.

Current Problem - Hello everyone, my chameleon yesterday was found at the bottom of her cage not moving at all, her left eye was purple and swollen. When saw this, I panicked and immediately got her out and inspected her. She wasn’t really moving and when she did she wasn’t opening her eyes and when she moved she would fall. I was very confused and concerned because she had eaten and drank that morning and was perfectly fine. It was quite late and I didn’t have the money to take her to the vet, but when I sat next to my heater she opened her eyes and started acting normal again. I’ve been keeping a close eye on her and she seems fine like before the incident. I just thought I’d come here and see if anyone knows why this happened because that really scared me and I dont want it to happen again. At first I thought she had fallen but I'm not sure. Thanks! Jacob.

I’ll put my responses in red.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets What amount? 5-8 a day What is the schedule? Morning How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flukers orange cubes She should be fed that amount every other day now that she is an adult. Crickets are ok but you should be giving a variety of feeders. The orange cubes are not good. Fresh organic fruits, veggies and some better commercial mixes are suggested. Attaching feeder and gutloading sheets.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoomed Repti Calcium with D3, everyday She is getting too much D3. Should be calcium without D3 every feeding and then calcium with D3 every other week, alternating with a multivitamin. Some use Repashy calcium with LoD with every feeding and nothing else.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown droppings. Never been tested. Is always a good idea to get a fecal done for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen, 16 x 16 x 30 inches She really needs a much bigger enclosure. A 24x24x48 is a good size.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I use a dual lamp with a exo terra night heat bulb and a reptisun 10.0 mini You need a linear T5 fixture with a 5% uvb bulb. Coiled bulbs do not provide adequate uvb.

• Getting called away...will finish in a bit or someone else can take over.
  • I will continue!!

Your basking spot should be around 80-82. On the care sheet it may say 80-85, but by maintaining a slightly lower basking spot and less food you will help her produce less clutches with fewer eggs. Make sure you measure temps with a digital thermometer, with a probe (no stick on circles)
You need to get a hygrometer, preferably a digital one. Humidity for a veiled during the day should be around 30-40, and during the night 70-100. You should be misting for 2-4 minutes in the morning and in the evening. if you are having humidity troubles at night, you could invest in a fogger and run it only in the coolest parts of the night. Never run a fogger in the middle of the dest, heat + lots of humidity = RI.
I would recommend tossing the fake plants and getting live ones. Fake plants dont hold water droplets well and there is always the danger of your cham eating them. Some good real plants to put into your enclosure are ficus benjamina (Ficus tree) , monstera deliciosa ( cut/split leaf philodendron) scheffalera (Umbrella plant), golden Pothos, and more. Take a look at this list: http://veiledchameleon.com/safe-plant-list
I would recommend putting it in a place where there isn't many people going around her cage.

I would see a vet asap. Chameleons should never close their eyes during the day, much less lay on the bottom of the cage, along with falling. Huge sign of sickness.

Also, Do you have a laybin in there for her? Has she ever laid eggs before?

I dont have a laybin but I am getting one tonight. She has never laid before. What do you think I should get for the soil? I feel some eggs in her belly. She isnt showing any signs of sickness either, I have no idea what happened yesterday but she is completely fine now, she has both of her eyes open. It was dark in my basement when I got home (around 10pm). I'm not sure she even fell, I just saw her at the bottom and ive never seen that before.

I would still take her to a reptile vet, whether she is 'acting normal' or not. They are amazing at hiding sickness, and by the time they start going downhill it can be too late.

01AD5F7D-0E9D-484C-B453-B36D0AEAC6E1.jpeg
6F3B8CBB-ACA0-4BAE-BF84-54C82963AB11.jpeg

Yes, you definitely need to see a vet. She’s gotten too much Vit D which is a fat soluble vitamin and builds up in the body, hasn’t gotten appropriate uvb, this may seriously affect her ability to pass her eggs plus never ever mess around with anything concerning eyes on any creature.

I would still take her to a reptile vet, whether she is 'acting normal' or not. They are amazing at hiding sickness, and by the time they start going downhill it can be too late.
I cant afford to go the vet. I am hoping and praying its just her having eggs. I know they are good at hiding sickness but she hasnt had any symptoms of sickness at all, ever.

For a lay bin you’ll be needing a good sized container at least 10-12” wide, long and deep. Fill with washed play sand or a mix of organic soil and washed play sand. Moisten until it can hold a tunnel without collapsing. Laying females need absolute privacy once they start or they will abandon their attempts and get eggbound. I cover half the enclosure with a light sheet.
I am skeptical and concerned that she will be able to pass her eggs without problems. It’s always preferred to bite the bullet and get veterinary care before needing one in the middle of a Saturday night and/or watching your beloved cham in distress.

For a lay bin you’ll be needing a good sized container at least 10-12” wide, long and deep. Fill with washed play sand or a mix of organic soil and washed play sand. Moisten until it can hold a tunnel without collapsing. Laying females need absolute privacy once they start or they will abandon their attempts and get eggbound. I cover half the enclosure with a light sheet.
I am skeptical and concerned that she will be able to pass her eggs without problems. It’s always preferred to bite the bullet and get veterinary care before needing one in the middle of a Saturday night and/or watching your beloved cham in distress.
I only have an extra $40 to spend. All I can afford is the laybin RN. Is there any specific sand I should get? Also how many pounds should I get?

The sand I use is produced by Kings and comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sandbox toys pictured on it. Your lay bin should be opaque and a minimum size of 12" X 8" X 8" deep filled almost to the top with sand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel. If she starts to dig, don't let her see you watching her.

The calcium/D3 should only be used twice a month. The calcium at almost every other feeding.

If you talk to a vet they might let you make payments so they can see your chameleon.

How long do they usually take to lay eggs? Shes has been digging for about two hours and she is just sitting still looking around with her eyes open. Her butt isnt in the hole she dug either. I have the cage covered in two sheets of paper so she doesnt see me or anyone else. I can see her through the top of the cage though.

She might dig several test holes and then should settle on one and dig it until she's happy with it. She should then turn around butt demon...usually in the evening...and lay the eggs....fill in the hole and tamp it down and return to the branches thin and hungry and thirsty. It can take several hours to several days or longer to dig the hole and several hours or more to lay the eggs ad bury them. Don't let her see you watching her when she's digging.

Okay, I will check again later tonight. How should I feed her if it turns out to be a multiple day thing?

Back
Top Bottom