Posting my silkworm experience

We cut out 3 more moths today. One was clearly desolving the cocoon but when we cut it out, it looks more like a baby bunny then a silkmoth. That one is barely moving and very tiny so something apparently disturbed its metamorphasis.
ED399E16-3D22-4922-9117-D7376B1D6BEE.jpeg

Of the other two, one came out fluttering and hasnt stopped. The other started laying eggs immediately. I THINK its a male and female only because the flutterer is nonstop fluttering and climbing on the relatively still female. They dont seem to have fully locked together so hopefully whatever they are doing is working!

04561489-DA63-4F6E-937B-7763BA0E06C2.jpeg
A7318C03-2EE4-4E00-9A14-D0BEDA0011ED.jpeg

I expected the male to be skinnier with bigger wings, so I am really not sure if I have two females or a mating pair. Here’s a video of their dance...

Silkworms mating?

We cut out 3 more moths today. One was clearly desolving the cocoon but when we cut it out, it looks more like a baby bunny then a silkmoth. That one is barely moving and very tiny so something apparently disturbed its metamorphasis.
View attachment 230058

Of the other two, one came out fluttering and hasnt stopped. The other started laying eggs immediately. I THINK its a male and female only because the flutterer is nonstop fluttering and climbing on the relatively still female. They dont seem to have fully locked together so hopefully whatever they are doing is working!

View attachment 230059
View attachment 230060

I expected the male to be skinnier with bigger wings, so I am really not sure if I have two females or a mating pair. Here’s a video of their dance...

Silkworms mating?

I'm pretty sure you have a male female there locked up, that's how mine looked and I got lots of fertile eggs.
It's sad just how pathetic they are! Once mine paired up, I put clear deli cups (with air holes) over them to control where the female laid her eggs. I would remove the male when they separated but kept the cup over the female.

Still waiting to see if I have fertilized eggs. I fed off the female silkworm after she laid (and when Charlie bit down it shot fluid about 5’ across the room... GROSS). Still waiting for other moths to emerge so I have this grumpy old man just hanging out yelling at me to get off his lawn.

F7400429-581D-4979-8938-D1689A518AE4.jpeg

The silkworms are between 1.25 - 2” long, with the average being 1.5”. I’ve been feeding them off a bit since they hit 1.25”. A bit small for my guys but they are the perfect Cheetos sized snack.

5916BCB9-B19E-4CA6-A9E5-E7CF5C94604F.jpeg
C51065D6-44EB-4ED1-A12C-F0535F3D6935.jpeg

My veileds love them. The panthers... eh. So its a good thing I have another THOUSAND hatching! 500 zebras and 500 blacks.

A94A3847-F630-4965-B8D5-296DDAECF144.jpeg

I am not a fan of the petri dishes. The lids flop around and im always afraid I’m going to drop them or knock them over. Plus the caterpillars climbed on the sides and some got squished between the lid and ledges. At their next food change I’ll be using the net technique to move them over to a sandwich sized tupperware container, instead.

Ate you heating the eggs to get them to hatch?
Cute moth pic!

This batch I just placed near my heat lamp but I actually think that was too warm. The side of the petri dish was warm and Im glad I didn’t cook the hatchlings. A lot congregated on that side, though, so maybe they liked the warmth.

My last batch I put in a cricket keeper with a heat pad on the side. It kept the eggs at 80 degrees... but I think room temp is fine if its in the 70s. Might take a few extra days to hatch, though.

Feeling a bit guilty feeding these guys off ... not really. I do feel guilty that the ones I tend to feed are the ones “praying” :p

Babies willbe 5 weeks old tomorrow and some are getting pretty large. The largest are about 2” long and as wide as a pencil. My guess is some willbe ready to cocoon in 5-7days. I’ll be cocooning 3 or more dozen.

Last go I let 12 cocoon. Of those, 1 emerged deformed, 1 pair attempted to mate but I dont believe the eggs were fertilized. The others are still cocooned or dead. I’ll be very lucky to get ANY fertilized eggs... so next time we’ll do at least 3 dozen.

I have a new batch of black and zebra babies that hatched a few days ago. They all look like normals right now - it will be interesting to see when they develop their color/markings. 500 babies make a lot of poop! They’ll be split into two different rearing bins soon. I hate the petri dishes.

2B84AE0A-C625-4093-8E84-9735279BDC3A.jpeg

I have maybe 100 or so worms in a bin but there is condensation forming, even with ventillation. I’m contemplating trying the open tray + netting method to cut down on moisture. Also would make feeding and changing easier... maybe.

I’ve also got hornworms pupating... man did they stink!!! I tried Repashy’s hornworm food. PEW!

5DE75449-51E5-41EE-BBF1-620F6074BB61.jpeg

Also trying BSFL breeding as of yesterday. o_O

Uggg repashy's horn worm food is disgusting. It smells sooooooo bad. Also it does not seem like the ones I get really like to eat it. Let me know if you find another hornworm chow that is better.

So I realized my silks were ready to come out of the cocoon because I could hear it moving in there. However by the time I realized this and got it out it had already laid all its infertile eggs in the cocoon. So I opened the other few and they were dead from not being able to get out. No sign of them trying to get out like others prior. The other ones secreted some gross red/brown liquid which I could see through the cocoon so I cut them out after 12 hours of them not making progress. Kinda sad that they can not get out on their own :(

Uggg repashy's horn worm food is disgusting. It smells sooooooo bad. Also it does not seem like the ones I get really like to eat it. Let me know if you find another hornworm chow that is better.

So I realized my silks were ready to come out of the cocoon because I could hear it moving in there. However by the time I realized this and got it out it had already laid all its infertile eggs in the cocoon. So I opened the other few and they were dead from not being able to get out. No sign of them trying to get out like others prior. The other ones secreted some gross red/brown liquid which I could see through the cocoon so I cut them out after 12 hours of them not making progress. Kinda sad that they can not get out on their own :(

We did the same - we cut out 2 that had spewed the brown liquid, the other had very very faint discoloration so we cut that open. We cut two others but they weren't quite moths yet (or they're dead, but didn't open it enough to see), and the others formed very thin cocoons from being disturbed. I can see that they are pupating but they could be dead by now. Glad I get a chance to "do over" with them. The best lessons are often from failure!

I don't think the Repashy's foods smell all that bad when cooked, but holy crap did it stink to high hell after they pooped it out! I agree, they don't see too enthused about it, but we'll see how babies do if I get any. Maybe the adults developed a taste for whatever they were raised on. I'm going to try Rainbow Mealworm's food next time around, but holy crap Hornworm food is expensive. Much more expensive then silkworm chow!

We did the same - we cut out 2 that had spewed the brown liquid, the other had very very faint discoloration so we cut that open. We cut two others but they weren't quite moths yet (or they're dead, but didn't open it enough to see), and the others formed very thin cocoons from being disturbed. I can see that they are pupating but they could be dead by now. Glad I get a chance to "do over" with them. The best lessons are often from failure!

I don't think the Repashy's foods smell all that bad when cooked, but holy crap did it stink to high hell after they pooped it out! I agree, they don't see too enthused about it, but we'll see how babies do if I get any. Maybe the adults developed a taste for whatever they were raised on. I'm going to try Rainbow Mealworm's food next time around, but holy crap Hornworm food is expensive. Much more expensive then silkworm chow!
I bought mine from rainbow. Do they have their own as well? Let me know because all I have found is the repashy brand. And yes it is really expensive when your feeding so many lol.
I am looking forward to seeing how your new babies differ in looks from the others. Should be very cool!

Yes, they have their own. My hornworms are always very healthy from them so I hope it's the good stuff! I might try to make my own, but there's a lot of ingredients and if it fails its another expensive mistake.

Yes, they have their own. My hornworms are always very healthy from them so I hope it's the good stuff! I might try to make my own, but there's a lot of ingredients and if it fails its another expensive mistake.
Shoot you learn something everyday! I could not find any other hornworm food besides the repashy on their site so that is what I bought. Tiny expensive bottle :(

Shoot you learn something everyday! I could not find any other hornworm food besides the repashy on their site so that is what I bought. Tiny expensive bottle :(
I've been getting my hornworms food from Oregonsilkworms.com along with their silkworm chow. Good pricing I think, and the bugs seem to really like it.

Starting to realize I spend more time preparing food for the bugs and chams then I do my own son... he’s old enough to learn to cook! Lol

There’s 50-75 large silkies now that are eating about as fast as I can dish it out. I fed and cleaned them this morning and the foods gone and the container is full of poop already.

Silkworm chow is easy to make but MAN does it stink when cooking!! I’ve gotten molten silkworm chow flung in my face a few times, on my clothes, etc. The chams love making silkworms explode in my face and eyes, and I’ve tasted it coming out of the wrong end of a silkworm.
Tonight - Clarice’s poop looked a but suspicious. Upon closer inspection... she was practically pooping pure silkworm chow. (They’ve gotten mostly silkies this past few feedings). I feel I am becoming one with the chow.

4DA14A60-4695-42AC-B871-6893B8FF73AE.jpeg

The zebras are starting to show stripes and blacks are showing a little color.

74A3160D-E4C1-48A9-A691-C9C854EEFBAA.jpeg
1F9F5BA0-84BD-4F93-BAD5-1A6727B33EB2.jpeg

I HATE PETRI DISHES!!! If its an option, dont use them! The lids arent secure, the airflow is nonexistent, they are awkwardly shapes, and they encourage MOLD. I have serious mold growing on the old eggs and Im still trying to move babies over. Just buy some sandwich sized cheap plastic containers at target and poke a few holes with a knife. So much better and usable for the first few weeks (unless you want to split colonies up into several). I try to have two for each colony so that if one container sprouts mold or illness, I don’t lose my whole colony. (Hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom