Post you Roach Enclosures...Please

Got it,...... Skull Cleaners??? Do they like clean the bugs themselves?

They eat the things that the roaches wont eat, and they eat the dead roaches. If you get your cleaner crew correct, you end up with hash tag "just frass" at the bottom of the bin.

They get their nick name, since if you want that really cool deer skull head or other perfect skeleton, you just throw them in a bin with said cleaners, and come back to just perfectly clean bones.

I think my cleaner crew is 2-3 versions of darkling beetles, and some super worms / meal worms. I wish i had some real skull cleaners (fuzz kind that are a bit over 1/2" long), but the 8-10 that came "free" with my last order of supers, got eaten by said supers. Im a bit salty about that one, should have just popped them in the dubia bin from the start.

Are super worms considered CUCs?

No, but there is a Darkling CUC.

The "Litter Beetle" and their larvae "Lesser Mealworms", are CUCs. There is a couple others I think.

Skull eaters? Y'all talking about Dermestidae (Dermestids) beetles right? AKA as Skin beetles / Buffalo Beetles, because they will feast on Human Skin, and Devour an entire Buffalo.

They are flesh eating Scarabs and will clean bones perfect, like Night said. Lots of people use them as CUCs for roaches and the like. I would never ever put them in a Viv with a Cham though.

They are also heavily used in museums and taxadermy to clean bones.

Larvae look like a hairy caterpillar, Beetles are just small Scarabs.
Beetle_and_Larvae__42258.1510409482.1280.1280.jpg

They do not mess around.

I don't use them personally, as they are dangerous. If you forget feeding or 2 and they run out of dead roaches, they will kill and eat live ones. Don't feed them for a week, and stick your hand in there and they will nibble your hand. If they get out of control, it can cause issues in your colony.

Isopods, will eat dead and only dead things, and eat poo and whatever you feed the roaches. They will not try to eat live roaches.

Last edited:
Aren't lesser mealworms and buffalo beetles the same? I have read multiple places that they are safe etc. As a CuC.

Should I remove them from my colony?

Back
Top Bottom