Post you Roach Enclosures...Please

Enclosure is simple, get a plastic container like mine ($10 at home depot), hole saw drill bit, screen to cover the holes, hot glue gun to attach the screen, egg crates, heat pad w\ thermostat, water crystals and food.

IMG_20190612_220217.jpg IMG_20190612_220235.jpg

What are the water options besides crystals?

Can you just silicone sand to a dish and/or invert a water vessel like how chicken waterers do it? That way it’s a very shallow layer and textured to allow climbing out.

Or is water even needed beyond what’s in veggies?

What are the water options besides crystals?

Can you just silicone sand to a dish and/or invert a water vessel like how chicken waterers do it? That way it’s a very shallow layer and textured to allow climbing out.

Or is water even needed beyond what’s in veggies?

They will get moisture from the food.

They do get all the moisture they need from food. However, I still like to mist the sides of the enclosure and the roaches drink from the droplets

How much time does it take to work with this colony and what tasks? Love to know your care routine! You’re clearly doing it right.

This is currently how I keep 1 of my 3 colonies of dubias going. They are on a 50/59 mix of sand and dirt, coco fibers, stagnant moss, cork flats and a stick lol I have more cork coming. I have spring tails and beetles as a CuC for the dubias

smaller colony
655B7F92-C5F3-463D-AF89-9F759B6603EC.jpeg 6AEAF7D1-D20D-4463-A779-A32CA98D1EA8.jpeg

We currently have a colony of dubia which is thriving somewhat. Tons of shiny pregnant females. When I go into the colony I can actually see births in progress (tiny, white dubia all over the place). More nymphs than I can count but I think we are feeding faster than they can grow. There are no medium to large subadults, which is the size I want the most. In your experiences, how long does it take the nymphs to grow into that size? I know we need to not touch the colony....

We currently have a colony of dubia which is thriving somewhat. Tons of shiny pregnant females. When I go into the colony I can actually see births in progress (tiny, white dubia all over the place). More nymphs than I can count but I think we are feeding faster than they can grow. There are no medium to large subadults, which is the size I want the most. In your experiences, how long does it take the nymphs to grow into that size? I know we need to not touch the colony....

FOREVER. Its like 6 months at 75-85f from hatch to adult. They grow at a rate of 1/8" every 3-4 weeks. This kinda works out better vs crickets which can outgrow baby chams pretty quick.

Uhh not sure how to word this...

They get long. When they first molt and go shinny, they are not really "mature", they are kinda short and flat, like a shiny nymph. Then when they are mature they will get long and puffy.

Not preggers

images

Ready for preggin
15-Adult-Female-Dubia-Roaches-and-10-Adult.jpg
How can you tell/ if can you tell if a female is pregnant?
I agree with nightanole. I was always told the pregnant ones are super shiny and fat.

Back
Top Bottom