Possibly dumb question

Vert340

Established Member
So recently I started using flying feeders for my T-Hoe cham and he loves it. So I want to if its possible to make flying feeders his staple. I am feeding him blue bottle flies since I can use those to get him those good gutloaded nutrients since BBF can be gutloaded. I am also giving him BSF larva and am feeding him the BSF that end up coming out of the larva survivors.

So this is where I have a question. I know that BSF larva are great for calcium, but are actual BSF themselves a good or decent source of calcium too?

Because if they are then I'm ready to ditch smelly crickets (as soon as my cricket crack gets used up) as a staple and start using flying feeders as a staple.

Any input is appreciated!

If you did a bunch of bees wasps and moths in variety maybe. Bsf won't do-- my understanding is that most of the nutrients in the larvea is used to pupate and hatch.

I feed roaches, silks and bsfl as "staples"

Even if the BSF's were nutrient sufficient your cham would probably get bored with them after awhile and therefore it would be to your advantage to have a variety of feeders. That way your Cham stays properly fed,

Even if the BSF's were nutrient sufficient your cham would probably get bored with them after awhile and therefore it would be to your advantage to have a variety of feeders. That way your Cham stays properly fed,
Well for the BSF I was really just caring about them being a good source of calcium. The nutrients are what the BBF are for since those are flies you can gutload. It's been almost a whole month of feeding him gutloaded BBF and BSF now and he hasn't gotten bored. Which is why i brought it up in the 1st place, he's one of those that goes on hunger strikes often but flies seem to just solve that. I supoose I'll keep BBF as a staple and stick with crickets too then.

If you did a bunch of bees wasps and moths in variety maybe. Bsf won't do-- my understanding is that most of the nutrients in the larvea is used to pupate and hatch.

I feed roaches, silks and bsfl as "staples"
Ah thats a shame! I was hoping that BSF would be similar to their larva in nutrition so that i could use em for calcium in my chameleons diet. Makes sense that it all gets used up tho.

Do you grow your own silks or buy em? I want to use em as a staple eventually in the future and it seems that i gotta a growing thing wity em because they are very pricey online haha.

Ch
Ah thats a shame! I was hoping that BSF would be similar to their larva in nutrition so that i could use em for calcium in my chameleons diet. Makes sense that it all gets used up tho.

Do you grow your own silks or buy em? I want to use em as a staple eventually in the future and it seems that i gotta a growing thing wity em because they are very pricey online haha.

Check out the forums for people who have bred them. I just purchase mine.

Back
Top Bottom