Possible upper respiratory infection

jpf

Hello, my new baby Veild Chameleon seems to have some of the uri symptoms. She is making a cracking or poping noise, and she has her mouth open and there are some bubbles in there. Please tell me if I need to go to the vet.
[Edit] I give her crickets as a staple diet, I dust the crickets with ReptiCalcium and ReptiVite. She has a ZooMed Repti-Fogger and I spray her Repti-Breeze 3 times daily. Please let me know if this is serious.

Attachments

• JPEG_20171116_150013.jpg
    JPEG_20171116_150013.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 1510874189832296881125.jpg
    1510874189832296881125.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Does he/she ever tilt his/her head up? How old is your cham?
I just noticed the uri symptoms today, when I got her at the reptile show the guy who sold it to me did not tell me how old she was. Could she have been sick at the show? she was only $100 for the whole setup and her. As far as I know she is only a few months old. I have not noticed her head up.

I just noticed the uri symptoms today, when I got her at the reptile show the guy who sold it to me did not tell me how old she was. Could she have been sick at the show? she was only $100 for the whole setup and her. As far as I know she is only a few months old. I have not noticed her head up.
That does not sound good. Please fill out the ask for help form.

That does not sound good. Please fill out the ask for help form.
Note, I have had her for 1 month now, where can I find the ask for help forum?

In the mean time If you strongly suspect a URI then I would advise bumping her basking temp up a couple of degrees above normal while you try to get a vet appointment.

"Veiled Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)"

Update I increase the temperature in her terrarium and she seems to be doing better not opening her mouth or anything I think it was 70 at basking spot. Was she cold? Every symptom she had seems to be gone

Update I increase the temperature in her terrarium and she seems to be doing better not opening her mouth or anything I think it was 70 at basking spot. Was she cold? Every symptom she had seems to be gone
Its 85 now*

I'm sure you are going to any way but keep a close eye on her for the next week or so to be sure it stays away. Glad she's doing better.

I haven't seen her mouth open or any bubbles. Could the heat have killed the infection?

It could have helped her system fight the infection. They don't get fevers so bumping the temperature might be similar to that for them.

From what I've read most reptiles and other cold blooded things develop a "behavioral" fever...in other words they find a place to sit where it's warmer and that acts like a fever. In captivity they have less choice of where to sit to warm up so we need to make sure we help them by giving them that opportunity.

When you think about it sometimes when we are sick we seek a NIC warm cozy place because we are chilly.

I've even read an article about bacteria developing a way to make the animal sit in a warmer place.
I've read about a parasite that makes a snail sit in the sun so it will get eaten because the snail is an intermediate host and the parasite needs it to get eaten.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom