Possible RI?..

tameraivy

http://youtu.be/GKfInNaChAEHello. This is my friends 3 month old panther boy.. She sent me this video, and I am wondering if any of you might know what could be going on?..
At first I thought he may have a cricket stuck in his mouth/throat, but when she told me there was a light click noise when he opened his mouth I assumed a possible respiratory issue.
His ambient temp is 75, and basking area is 81. He is in a 16x16x30 screen enclosure, and has a zoo-med 5.0 uvb tube bulb and fixture as well as 50 watt basking lamp. He has a ficus, and fake plants and vines. Keeping the humidity levels up has been hard for her, so I have suggested wrapping the cage partially with a shower curtain, and misting more often. She put him in the bathroom with the shower going to get him a humidity boost. He is so young that I am worried about him, and wonder if he is too small to be treated with a medicine if he does have a resp. infection..
Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated as I have never experienced this myself.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Does he also wobble a little bit when trying to walk or after he starts gaping and clicking?

I am treating mine for an RI. My male veiled basically does the same thing your panther is doing. I would get him checked at a vet, he may administer some baytril to help fight it off.

Does he still eat insects and drinks? He looks at early stage. Judging from the video no bubbles or mucus

Sorry, but this is the only video that she sent to me..
Thank you for your reply.. He doesn't wobble, or have any bubbles.. Like you said, it seems to be early stages. He is eating, drinking, and acting normal other than these episodes.
I will advise her to take him to a vet.
Is he too small for treatment? That concerns me a bit..

Judging from the video your panther looks about the same age as my veiled so no I do not think he's too young for antibiotics. My vet prescribed me some Baytril and told me to administer around 0.02 of a ml to him daily for 5 days. The vet in your friend's area will be able to guide her more accurately. If I were her I would make an appointment asap, even to just get a clear head.

Back
Top Bottom