Possible Mouth Rot?

ren.contreras3

Hi so my chameleon, Mango, is a male veiled chameleon and he is about 14 months old and I noticed this brown-ish stain on his upper and lower teeth a few days ago. It looks darker on one half of his jaw as you can see in the photo. His jaw closes fully with no separations or misalignments and his appetite is good, so that makes me think that his teeth are healthy. I looked through the forums to see if anyone else had posted about the same problem and I saw a lot of conflicting replies. Some people said it was mouth rot and others said it was normal tooth staining. Can you guys let me know what you think it is?
What are signs of mouth rot that I should watch out for?
Mango_Possible_Mouth_Rot.jpeg

More Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    • Male Veiled Chameleon, about a year and two months old, been in my care for a year
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
    • Not too frequently, he’s pretty grumpy so my family and I really only take him out when we’re cleaning his enclosure
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    • A decent variety of insects that we order through the mail: Crickets, silkworms, dubia roaches, superworms, mealworms, hornworms, waxworms…
    • He lives at my dad’s house so I’m not super sure about how often they feed him but I know he usually always has a few bugs in his “shooting gallery” or crawling around his enclosure.
    • The feeders are fed a green gut load powder that our exotic vet recommended, but I can’t remember the name right now.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    • Repti-Calcium with D3 every one to two weeks
    • Rep-Cal Calcium two to three times a week
    • Herptivite Multivitamin two to three times a week
    • Rep-flashy Vitamin A once a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    • We manually mist two to three times a day for about five minutes and place a dripper over some plants (half are real and half are plastic) so that it trickles down. We see Mango drinking
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    • Feces looks normal and healthy: his urate is a light cream color and his droppings are not hard. He has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your chameleon that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    • Showed early signs of MBD about six months ago, we took him to the exotic vet and he gave a care plan to correct the vitamin deficiency and he’s better now.

Looks like you missed the other half of the form, i will fetch it for you 🙂 but I can tell you off the bat you need to change somethings. Veileds are NOTORIOUS nibblerz and its vital to have live plants ONLY anything else is unnatural and poses an impaction hazard. Just ditch the mealworms, they aren't nutritious and there are just SO many other feeders, you seem to know that variety is important.Now you say your parents care for him and feed him? You sure they stick to his supplement schedule? And aren't over doing it on the supplements?[you don't want your feeders COMPLETELY covered, just a nice little sprinkle]

Im not familiar with all your supplements but typically its
Calcium w/ NO D3 every feeding
Calcium w/D3 every 1st and then you alternate that with a multivitamin

He has reached maturity where now he should only be fed every other day. Can you get pics of your setup? That's the other HALF of the form. 🍻

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Photos can be very helpful

Back
Top Bottom