Possibility of overwatering my plant

djstorm1987

Just purchased a plant in my chameleon`s cage. What do you guys do to not over water your plants? I am awaiting for my mister today and would like to know this so I can set the appropriate setting. I am also using a dripper but since the dripper falls in to the plant and am concerned of overwatering it I have stopped using it temporarily. I also use a fogger but I`m starting to feel that it may not be useful once I get the mister. What are you suggestions? Thanks

No the fogger won't really be needed and I don't water my plants at all the mister does that for me, if its getting a little to much water in the pot it will just go out the bottom, the roots will only take as much as they want

No the fogger won't really be needed and I don't water my plants at all the mister does that for me, if its getting a little to much water in the pot it will just go out the bottom, the roots will only take as much as they want

Once I get my misting system do you think it will still be required for me to use the dripper?

What are your timings and duration of your mister. I would like to see what setting I can use to play around with.

In my experience,

The key to not overwatering your plant is to give it good drainage. I use 2 inches of rock at the bottom of my plants pots to help draw the water out. you want the dirt to dry out between watering. I've had no problems with my ficus dripping & misting my chams.

I also firmly believe that dripping is required in desert climates. Chams need the drip to wash the desert dust from their eyes.

Jason

In my experience,

The key to not overwatering your plant is to give it good drainage. I use 2 inches of rock at the bottom of my plants pots to help draw the water out. you want the dirt to dry out between watering. I've had no problems with my ficus dripping & misting my chams.

I also firmly believe that dripping is required in desert climates. Chams need the drip to wash the desert dust from their eyes.

Jason

This is great advice. If the layer of river rocks at the bottom is not enough, you can cut your organic soil with 50% sand to decrease water retention.

In my experience,

Jason

The plant as well as the pot is sitting on one of those clear plastic holders made specifically for plants. The pot has 2 holes on its side where the water comes out Just yesterday me and my father covered the base with a black thick foam that would seem to do the work. For how long do you leave your dripper on and how many times? I would also like to know what type of plastic covers do you guys use to cover your cage? if my misting system does not bring the humidity up I may need to cover the cage with a plastic cover preferably transparent to not make it noticeable. I have been trying to find a similar one in 4 different stores yesterday but have had no luck.

My musters go off 5 times a day at 7,10,12,3 and 6 for two minutes for panthers and was same when I kept jacksons

I will go ahead and try that. Any recommendations as to what plastic cover I can use for my cage to not let the humidity escape? I have been on the look out yesterday but have not had any luck.

I have my plants in self watering pots. They have false bottoms that take extra water which I can drain easily. :)

I will go ahead and try that. Any recommendations as to what plastic cover I can use for my cage to not let the humidity escape? I have been on the look out yesterday but have not had any luck.

I use plastic shower liners from Walmart. They are in the same aisle with the shower supplies. The ones I get are opaque in coloring, and say anti-microbial/ anti-mildew on them. They were like $9 a piece last I got some. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom