portable ac unit options

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all! I think it's finally time for me to get a portable ac unit for my office. The central air in the duplex I rent just isn't strong enough for my two chameleon cages and guinea pigs and me and my think fumes as I'm working all day.

Can you share product links? Or advice as I try and decide which unit to buy?

Things I'm thinking about:
- my window slides up and is very long (50 inches)
- I want it to be able to automate a day temp (72) and a night temp (65)
- needs to be easy to maintain and clean
- I already have a dehumidifier but many seem to have it built in, should I keep my dehumidifier or sell that once I get the portable AC unit?
- I work from home and am on zoom calls all day so needs to be reasonably quiet. I already have an air purifier running so there is a base level of noise

I use the edgestar 12000 btu. Comes with window kit. Keeps room nice and cool during summer

If you have central AC, all it may need is some slight rebalancing of the system to compensate for your farts er... 'think fumes'.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=rebalancing+central+air
Hahaha too real!! I think part of the issue is I don't keep the door open to keep my cats out. But I will check out a few videos and see if we can do something. Our landlord is a great guy and pretty responsive but he has a block around the AC unit we have whenever we have an issue it's an uphill battle to get it addressed.

That may not be an issue here. Re-balancing doesn't usually involve any messing with the AC unit per se; it's generally/often done by adjusting the dampers on the various supply ducts & registers.

I won't suggest doing it on the Q.T./Down Low, even though I may know 'someone' who may have done that Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... :cautious:

Booster fan in the ductwork works great but you rent so prob not option. I only have two returns in my basement so I put two Booster fans in works for basement. But without portable ac couldn't get below 69. With ac I get to 65 or lower

I have the rolling floor unit with the vent tubing that installs in the window. I bought it when my central ac died so I could move it around easily if needed until my unit was replaced. If I hadn’t already had it, I would have opted for a window unit for my chameleon room, just for saving space. I don’t recall how many btu’s it is (maybe 7,500) but the room is tiny…maybe 10x11’…and with all of the heat from 4 chams, 3 geckos and a beardie, it just barely keeps up. I’d say keep the dehumidifier. I’m sure you’re getting the same weather I am…too cool for the central ac to go on and the rain making everything humid.

I have something very similar to what @MissSkittles has. Works great but I warn you it is extremely loud vs the window unit I got to go in my daughters room. It took me months to get used to sleeping with it in the room. They do have a dual function setting for dehumidifier but it is separate from the air function. The thing about the portable ones is that they pull air from the room and then vent outside so they automatically pull the moisture from the air a bit but you still have to drain them. I did not have to do it too frequently being in AZ but we have hardly any humidity. Anyways if you went portable or window unit you would probably need to keep the dehumidifier.

Hey folks! I tried adjusting the registers in my duplex and that didn't make a difference so I got the portable AC unit. I did look into window units but they weren't going to work with my super long window. Same for booster fans in my duplex's weird shaped registers.

I'm thinking of replacing the tubing to the insulated polyester, but the tube is like right behind me in my zoom background for work and I don't wanna look like I'm in the basement, lol. Can I put like a fun cloth over top of the tubing to make it look less hideous? Or would that be unsafe?

Can you share product links? Or advice as I try and decide which unit to buy?

Things I'm thinking about:
- my window slides up and is very long (50 inches)
- I want it to be able to automate a day temp (72) and a night temp (65)
- needs to be easy to maintain and clean
- I already have a dehumidifier but many seem to have it built in, should I keep my dehumidifier or sell that once I get the portable AC unit?
- I work from home and am on zoom calls all day so needs to be reasonably quiet. I already have an air purifier running so there is a base level of noise
I would go with a window unit and not a portable unit. Window units are specifically made for windows that slide up and down. Additionally, window units are much more efficient which means that the electricity bill will be lower. I currently have a portable unit, but if my window units could slide up and down I would use a window unit. Also, you need to know if the HOA will allow it a window unit. Any appropriate btu ac will get you down to 65F at night.

For my portable AC unit, I bought a digital thermostat from Amazon that works extremely well. Never did it fail once over the entire summer. You can set it and forget it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7NYY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Should work for most ACs, just make sure to check the wattage and volts.

About whether or not to keep the dehumidifier is up to you. Running an AC unit alongside the dehumidifier is going to use a ton of electricity and may cause a short.

A new AC should be reasonably quiet. And window AC units are known to be quieter than portable ACs. But I feel like I would be confident being on a zoom call with the AC on even if it does get a little loud when it turns on. Zoom surprisingly drowns out a good portion of white noise.

I would go with a window unit and not a portable unit. Window units are specifically made for windows that slide up and down. Additionally, window units are much more efficient which means that the electricity bill will be lower. I currently have a portable unit, but if my window units could slide up and down I would use a window unit. Also, you need to know if the HOA will allow it a window unit. Any appropriate btu ac will get you down to 65F at night.

For my portable AC unit, I bought a digital thermostat from Amazon that works extremely well. Never did it fail once over the entire summer. You can set it and forget it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7NYY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Should work for most ACs, just make sure to check the wattage and volts.

About whether or not to keep the dehumidifier is up to you. Running an AC unit alongside the dehumidifier is going to use a ton of electricity and may cause a short.

A new AC should be reasonably quiet. And window AC units are known to be quieter than portable ACs. But I feel like I would be confident being on a zoom call with the AC on even if it does get a little loud when it turns on. Zoom surprisingly drowns out a good portion of white noise.

Valid points! I already bought the portable unit. I'd love a window unit instead but the window is super long (60") and while our landlord is chill we'd have to install brackets and plywood to fill up the gaps. I got a midea one that can be controlled via my smartphone.

I'll run the dehumidifier still but not at the same time as the AC unit. I still have to do a few more things to get the humidity right in my Veiled's enclosure, but at least temps will be on the right track now!

And it doesn't seem too loud. It's quieter than the dehumidifier, which I've run while being on calls before.

Hey folks! I tried adjusting the registers in my duplex and that didn't make a difference so I got the portable AC unit. I did look into window units but they weren't going to work with my super long window. Same for booster fans in my duplex's weird shaped registers.
Sorry that possibility wouldn't work for you.

I'm thinking of replacing the tubing to the insulated polyester, but the tube is like right behind me in my zoom background for work and I don't wanna look like I'm in the basement, lol. Can I put like a fun cloth over top of the tubing to make it look less hideous? Or would that be unsafe?
I would just not cover the hot end (leave a few inches), and maybe not use synthetic fabric that may be affected by heat over time. 100% cotton (e.g. quilting fabric—lots of great prints) should be good, but whatever you like.

Valid points! I already bought the portable unit. I'd love a window unit instead but the window is super long (60") and while our landlord is chill we'd have to install brackets and plywood to fill up the gaps. I got a midea one that can be controlled via my smartphone.
This may be moot; I should have asked for clarification before. Mea culpa.
1638788413985.png
Window type?

:confused: Doesn't the AC unit have an integral thermostatic control? :unsure:

It's a hung window that's 60" along the sill (horizontal). Actually the saga continues because my portable AC unit puts out air that smells very strongly, like chemicals. Might have an issue with its refrigerant? Upon further inspection the fins look all beat up and seems like Amazon might've sent me one that got returned by someone else. So gonna return that. I guess with a window unit we could figure out a solution for the insulation...like plywood and duct tape. 😭

Back
Top Bottom