Popping sound when breathing?- Veiled Cham

Hi. I have no experience myself with respiratory infections and agree that Atlas needs a visit with a good vet. Here’s some reasoning for your parents. Just as if you had gotten a dog or cat, your chameleon needs to be checked for parasites (taking in a fresh poo for testing) and to have his health checked. Especially coming from Petco, there is a good chance your little guy has contracted parasites and chain pet stores do not check for them. If he does have an RI, without treatment it can be fatal, just like pneumonia in us. Atlas looks very young and baby chameleons are fragile. If he is indeed sick, waiting until he shows more signs of it will be too late to help him. If you’ve bought all of the correct products to keep your guy, if nothing else you have a financial investment in keeping him well, not to mention the emotional investment. Sometimes it helps if you offer to do extra chores or somehow make a ‘deal’ with your parents for the cost and trouble of a vet visit.

Hi. I have no experience myself with respiratory infections and agree that Atlas needs a visit with a good vet. Here’s some reasoning for your parents. Just as if you had gotten a dog or cat, your chameleon needs to be checked for parasites (taking in a fresh poo for testing) and to have his health checked. Especially coming from Petco, there is a good chance your little guy has contracted parasites and chain pet stores do not check for them. If he does have an RI, without treatment it can be fatal, just like pneumonia in us. Atlas looks very young and baby chameleons are fragile. If he is indeed sick, waiting until he shows more signs of it will be too late to help him. If you’ve bought all of the correct products to keep your guy, if nothing else you have a financial investment in keeping him well, not to mention the emotional investment. Sometimes it helps if you offer to do extra chores or somehow make a ‘deal’ with your parents for the cost and trouble of a vet visit.
Thank you so much, I managed to convince my parents of the importance of this vet visit and we are looking into taking him to one 🙏

Hello. Welcome to the forum! I just read all of this. & just want to add that Petco has a 2 week policy. So if your parents are not willing to take him/her to vet. Call petco & tell them what is happening. Then you "return" him/her. They take to the vet. & have to do all the medicine or whatever in their care. & once him/her are better they will allow you to buy once again

It did not work this way for me.. I got a sick little one as well. & it was too late when they decided they wanted to finally take him to vet.

Butt I also have no experience w.a RI I would just like to ask does he do the popping like continously when you're their. Or is it like just a puff out the nose. Like once in a while?
Cause that could be a defense mechanism, but if it's happening more than once in the short time you're standing there. I'm afraid it might be more serious. All in all , a vet check is important no matter what animal. Unfortunately it's hard to convince people that reptiles need the same love & care as other animals but I wish you luck!!

Hello. Welcome to the forum! I just read all of this. & just want to add that Petco has a 2 week policy. So if your parents are not willing to take him/her to vet. Call petco & tell them what is happening. Then you "return" him/her. They take to the vet. & have to do all the medicine or whatever in their care. & once him/her are better they will allow you to buy once again

It did not work this way for me.. I got a sick little one as well. & it was too late when they decided they wanted to finally take him to vet.

Butt I also have no experience w.a RI I would just like to ask does he do the popping like continously when you're their. Or is it like just a puff out the nose. Like once in a while?
Cause that could be a defense mechanism, but if it's happening more than once in the short time you're standing there. I'm afraid it might be more serious. All in all , a vet check is important no matter what animal. Unfortunately it's hard to convince people that reptiles need the same love & care as other animals but I wish you luck!!
Hello! I’m able to bring him to the vet very soon so I’m hoping this will clear up my questions and ensure his safety. Atlas makes the popping noise pretty frequently (not every breath but it happens when he puffs out his throat defensively)

Hello! I’m able to bring him to the vet very soon so I’m hoping this will clear up my questions and ensure his safety. Atlas makes the popping noise pretty frequently (not every breath but it happens when he puffs out his throat defensively)
Could you post some more pics of him for me please? I just want to see the jaw alignment on him. In the picture of him sleeping it looks like the front of his mouth does not align. So I just want to double check.

Popping really is not a healthy noise from a cham so it is better to have it looked at sooner then later.

Posting to follow ( trying to learn anything and everything) ! I know in humans/dogs this is a sign of URI and untreated leads to pneumonia.
For you and your baby I hope it's just an aggressive warning to back off..

Could you post some more pics of him for me please? I just want to see the jaw alignment on him. In the picture of him sleeping it looks like the front of his mouth does not align. So I just want to double check.

Popping really is not a healthy noise from a cham so it is better to have it looked at sooner then later.
Sure! Here’s some more pictures, I only have a few since I wanted to give him a little space to get comfortable. (Most of these pictures are from his old cage, the husbandry has been improved)

Attachments

• D2D9E21B-3DCC-4C53-8568-586C981B0FF2.jpeg
    D2D9E21B-3DCC-4C53-8568-586C981B0FF2.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 8D988606-1345-4E7F-BFAC-B6C6BD2B39A6.jpeg
    8D988606-1345-4E7F-BFAC-B6C6BD2B39A6.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 3F08682B-760F-4DCD-81E4-FB9FD6E57C32.jpeg
    3F08682B-760F-4DCD-81E4-FB9FD6E57C32.jpeg
    644.4 KB · Views: 78
Sure! Here’s some more pictures, I only have a few since I wanted to give him a little space to get comfortable. (Most of these pictures are from his old cage, the husbandry has been improved)
So if you can take some recent ones for me. Something is going on with the front of his mouth. But I can not see it all that well. This would be a cause for concern as well. You can see it in the sleeping pic and in the first pic above. But the pic above is not very clear so I can not totally make it out.

So if you can take some recent ones for me. Something is going on with the front of his mouth. But I can not see it all that well. This would be a cause for concern as well. You can see it in the sleeping pic and in the first pic above. But the pic above is not very clear so I can not totally make it out.
Sure, I’m not home atm so I can link some photos later. I assumed that was dirt from the substrate in his previous cage (he has a bare bottom with no substrate now) but it is something worth checking out. I am dropping him off by petco today to get a return and then buy him back once he receives medical treatment/inspection.

Sure, I’m not home atm so I can link some photos later. I assumed that was dirt from the substrate in his previous cage (he has a bare bottom with no substrate now) but it is something worth checking out. I am dropping him off by petco today to get a return and then buy him back once he receives medical treatment/inspection.
Really really think hard about buying him back... Petco and petsmart are not always good about getting them taken care of... I have heard horror stories from an employee. Try to get some pics of the mouth before you take him in. You may not want to get him back if it looks like it is something more extensive. Honestly these guys are expensive not only in what they need but when medical issues come up you can spend hundreds in one visit.

Really really think hard about buying him back... Petco and petsmart are not always good about getting them taken care of... I have heard horror stories from an employee. Try to get some pics of the mouth before you take him in. You may not want to get him back if it looks like it is something more extensive. Honestly these guys are expensive not only in what they need but when medical issues come up you can spend hundreds in one visit.
I am considering this. If i end up deciding to purchase another veiled from a more trustworthy source, can the infection spread through husbandry to a new cham? He is in a fully screened enclosure but I can clean everything down or replace things if needed.

I am considering this. If i end up deciding to purchase another veiled from a more trustworthy source, can the infection spread through husbandry to a new cham? He is in a fully screened enclosure but I can clean everything down or replace things if needed.
A respiratory infection most likely can’t spread, but several other things can. When re-using any enclosure, it’s best to clean everything thoroughly with an anti microbial cleaner.

I noticed the mouth too...good catch.

Back
Top Bottom