Popping sound when breathing?- Veiled Cham

Isxbvlle

I heard that this popping sound may be a symptom of RI. My veiled cham has been making this sound since I got him around 5 days ago. When holding him in my hand while another one of my family members was making adjustments to his husbandry, a white wet splotch appeared on my hand. Is this possibly excess mucus? And if so, does this sound like it could possibly be RI? He is eating and drinking normally (I have seen him do both). picture of him is during his sleepy time :)

Attachments

• C826735B-4990-415E-89B7-A7D186FB3FA1.jpeg
    C826735B-4990-415E-89B7-A7D186FB3FA1.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Extra info, he has made this popping sound multiple times. However, he does not hold up his head or gape his mouth in any concerning way.

He's new to you right? If so it's unlikely anything you did caused an infection. That said, he's in your care now so it's good your diligently observing him and asking for help.

I think getting in to see a vet familiar with chameleons ASAP would be prudent. Chameleons often hide their symptoms, so sometimes by the time they present symptoms, it's further in the course of the infection and important to act quickly. Do you know of any vets in your area who are familiar with chameleons? If not, let us know where you are and we can try and find one.

The only other thing I can think of is if you're misting him or holding a dripper on top or giving him medicine and he's aspirating (choking) but I don't think that'd be the case here.

If you go to the vet and it's not an RI then that's a blessing. But going means Atlas gets a wellness visit, you might catch an RI in time, and you get to know your vet. Worth it to go and asap, IMHO.

He's new to you right? If so it's unlikely anything you did caused an infection. That said, he's in your care now so it's good your diligently observing him and asking for help.

I think getting in to see a vet familiar with chameleons ASAP would be prudent. Chameleons often hide their symptoms, so sometimes by the time they present symptoms, it's further in the course of the infection and important to act quickly. Do you know of any vets in your area who are familiar with chameleons? If not, let us know where you are and we can try and find one.

The only other thing I can think of is if you're misting him or holding a dripper on top or giving him medicine and he's aspirating (choking) but I don't think that'd be the case here.

If you go to the vet and it's not an RI then that's a blessing. But going means Atlas gets a wellness visit, you might catch an RI in time, and you get to know your vet. Worth it to go and asap, IMHO.
I know an exotic vet that works with reptiles about an 1 1/2 hours away from me. Bad news is that my father is not very knowledgable on reptiles and has refused when I suggested a vet visit and dismissed it as me overanalyzing, not wanting to allow a vet visit after we got him so recently. I am still a minor in this situation and am not sure how to convince him

Last edited:
Is it only happening when you hold him?
this is happening both when I hold him and when he is in his cage (does not happen that i know of when he is asleep). I got him from petco 😬 and got most of his supplies from somewhere else due to incorrect information from Petco employees.

I know an exotic vet that works with reptiles about an 1 1/2 hours away from me. Bad news is that my father is not very knowledgable on reptiles and has refused when I suggested a vet visit and dismissed it as me overanalyzing, not wanting to allow a vet visit after we got him so recently. I am still a minor in this situation.

Does the vet work with chameleons though? Some vets might know other reptiles but not know much about chameleons. That does make a big difference.

There are other young chameleon keepers here who have learned from the forum and shared threads with their parents to help them understand the importance of quick intervention and vet assistance. That might help you as well.

So say you don't take him to the vet and he does have an RI. Popping can be a tell tale sign of an RI. The chameleon will get worse, and as he gets worse, his chance of recovering from the infection decreases.

So you do take him to a good chameleon vet. The vet either confirms RI and prescribes antibiotics. Atlas has a better chance at recovery. Or the vet says it's something else or something benign. Then your chameleon has had a wellness checkup, which every pet ought to have on an annual basis anyway so the vet can keep an eye on your pet's health. Plus, you could bring in a fecal sample and get him tested for parasites too.

Going to the vet might be inconvenient or costly at times but ultimately worth it given the benefits of going versus the risk of not going.

Hopefully @Beman and @kinyonga and @MissSkittles and others will chime in soon as well.

Does the vet work with chameleons though? Some vets might know other reptiles but not know much about chameleons. That does make a big difference.

There are other young chameleon keepers here who have learned from the forum and shared threads with their parents to help them understand the importance of quick intervention and vet assistance. That might help you as well.

So say you don't take him to the vet and he does have an RI. Popping can be a tell tale sign of an RI. The chameleon will get worse, and as he gets worse, his chance of recovering from the infection decreases.

So you do take him to a good chameleon vet. The vet either confirms RI and prescribes antibiotics. Atlas has a better chance at recovery. Or the vet says it's something else or something benign. Then your chameleon has had a wellness checkup, which every pet ought to have on an annual basis anyway so the vet can keep an eye on your pet's health. Plus, you could bring in a fecal sample and get him tested for parasites too.

Going to the vet might be inconvenient or costly at times but ultimately worth it given the benefits of going versus the risk of not going.

Hopefully @Beman and @kinyonga and @MissSkittles and others will chime in soon as well.
Will do, I can try to push my parents in the correct direction and hopefully be able to get him to a vet. In all honesty I’m not sure if the vet I’m reffering to is experienced in chameleons. I can give them a call tomorrow and check.

Will do, I can try to push my parents in the correct direction and hopefully be able to get him to a vet. In all honesty I’m not sure if the vet I’m reffering to is experienced in chameleons. I can give them a call tomorrow and check.

Calling ahead is always helpful! Some members here can also weigh in with vet recommendations if you share the city or general area in which you're looking for a vet.

We all just want the best for Atlas. ♥️🦎

Back
Top Bottom