Popeye the Pirate Cham Update

Kent67

Retired Moderator
When I went to say goodbye to Chad and Darci after the Super Show ended Chad asked me if I wanted this fresh import who had come in with one eye, looking very dark and dirty. I really didn't quite know what to expect. He was/is dirty, with what little bit of skin has shed coming off brown and gray. He ate the first couple of days he was here but then seemed to lose interest. Soon after I heard him wheeze and inspected his mouth, finding the gooey, bubbly badness indicative of a respiratory infection. Again, I waited a couple more days to see how it would go and then put him on Baytril. While doing so, he's been receiving at least one long shower a day, approximately 45 minutes, and I've been assist feeding him. After a few days of the assist feeding his gripping strength was noticeably improved. After a few more days his color started improving, too. On Sunday he started eating on his own again! We've got just a couple more Baytril treatments to go before we're finished but these pics tonight have me pretty optimistic. I can't wait until he goes through a complete shed!

DSCF8441a.jpg

DSCF8444a.jpg

could u please post a picture of his no eye spot... i am curious.. sry. hes gorgeous! congrats on his progress! hope the best!

Remember what I said about him being dirty? Check out the freshly shed back right leg compared to the rest of his body. Hopefully the rest of him will shed soon...

DSCF8542a.jpg

One more, still have high hopes for this guy:

DSCF8543a.jpg

I remember seeing this guy there. Glad you got him Kent. Hope he does well for you. he definately has some potential.

Glad he went to an owner that will take good care of him from chad and darci that take amazing care of their animals, to an amazing chameleon keeper:)

Does this prove that, in the right hands, ideal captive care exceeds the "natural land" at this point of decreasing environmental times?

I think the only thing it shows, not proves, is that even after being mistreated, starved, and dehydrated during the capture-export-import process, some F. pardalis can be reasonably resilient. I still have fears that his kidneys may have been compromised by the dehydration but only time will tell. The species is so "weedy" that they would be fine living in people's backyards and agricultural fields even in the event of a total loss of primary habitat....as long as the physical changes to the land don't negatively influence the amount of rainfall. I'd love to think my care exceeds the quality nature provides, and thanks very much for suggesting it, but I just don't.

Thanks again for the compliments and well wishes everyone. Popeye is actually a very calm, mellow guy who doesn't seem to mind handling. I've never purchased an import that looked so bad initially but so far it seems he's going to bounce back just fine. I wish he would finish this shed already, though!

Yeah, me too. I hope he grows his missing eye back. LOL Thanks, Josh. Hope all's well with you!

Good job looks way better then when I seen it at the show. I wanted to buy him but my girlfriend didn't want to deal with another wc.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that earlier request, too. I've never taken any pics from that side and, unfortunately, I think I killed my camera today when I slipped, fell, and dropped it into about 4 feet of spring water. :(

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that earlier request, too. I've never taken any pics from that side and, unfortunately, I think I killed my camera today when I slipped, fell, and dropped it into about 4 feet of spring water. :(

oh jeez! hope you are alright. thats too bad :( Well when you get a chance that would be cool if you posted some, i am very interested on what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom