Popcorn

I have been spraying my chams wastes down into the plant soil for years. Never had a problem and I believe it to be beneficial for the plants. I use Jade plants ,Gardenia and Umbrellas. When it gets to be too much waste in one pot I swap plants and rotate. Its not too often I do that though.

I have been spraying my chams wastes down into the plant soil for years. Never had a problem and I believe it to be beneficial for the plants. I use Jade plants ,Gardenia and Umbrellas. When it gets to be too much waste in one pot I swap plants and rotate. Its not too often I do that though.

I set up my first planted terrarium in the early 90s with some anoles. I never removed poo or changed the soil. In fact I never did anything to it and everything was fine for years. This doesn't change the fact I was unknowingly taking risks. That's what it is, a risk.

If you want to drink non pasteurized milk, or use non pasteurized reptile fertilizer you could very well be fine. But it is still a risk and saying it isn't is ignorant.

exactly my idea!
how long does it take to decompose?

It can take up to a month, the trick is to use stones covering the soil in the pots. I use a hand sprayer and blast it out of the leaves and onto the rocks. Then I make sure it falls into the crevices so that it reaches the soil underneath. Any waste that doesn't make it into a pot at the bottom of the enclosure gets picked up and thrown away. You want to keep things looking clean after all. The waste needs microorganisms to break down its nutrients. This is only done when it is placed under the rocks into the soil where it is dark and moist. Some may cry that this is a bacterial hazard but I believe a little compost bacteria is not harmful at all. Just watch for fungal growth, if you see any then its time to rotate and leave the old plant pot in the sun for a week to get some healthy sunlight and renew its cycle. I rotate about once every month or two.

If you want to drink non pasteurized milk, or use non pasteurized reptile fertilizer you could very well be fine. But it is still a risk and saying it isn't is ignorant.

Calm down there buddy, careful how you throw out words. I never said it wasn't a risky method. Still, it is not as hazardous as many make it out to be. Chams are not as delicate as some people think them to be. They thrive in the wild when man isnt around to displace them. I gave an opinion and advice, can you respect that?

I do drink non pasteurized milk. I see no risk in that friend. Im heading off to bed now, good luck OP.

Calm down there buddy, careful how you throw out words. I never said it wasn't a risky method. Still, it is not as hazardous as many make it out to be. Chams are not as delicate as some people think them to be. They thrive in the wild when man isnt around to displace them. I gave an opinion and advice, can you respect that?

I do drink non pasteurized milk. I see no risk in that friend. Im heading off to bed now, good luck OP.

I'm not always nice. I do respect your opinion, and reading the details of your method I would believe it is less risky than it sounded at first, and isn't too far from what I do except I wipe out everything I can before spraying into the rocks.

I persist that it is important to point out any risks you might be taking. I've been keeping herps an other animals for over 25 years and have a good understanding of biology and how natural systems work. From reading your posts I get the impression you do as well. This means when you are aware of a risk it is important to pass it along.

And maybe the CDC is full of Cr.., wouldn't be the first time. I personally know of nobody who has gotten sick from reptile poo, however, the advice nurse assured me it happens.

i meant to put dandelion instead of popcorn.
does anyone know where to get dandelion seed

gosh its a very common weed where I live. People spend hours and hours trying to get rid of them (or lots of dollars to spray chemicals on them).
I can send you some seeds through the mail - I don't think its illegal. Even if you don't use for a cage planting, you could grow it as feeder gutload or for your own green salads.

maybe clover would be easier for you to get?

Being from Nebraska, I would like to see this even attempted... Without a Cham...

Still makes me laugh a little with I see "Popcorn Seed":D

Being from Nebraska, I would like to see this even attempted... Without a Cham...

Still makes me laugh a little with I see "Popcorn Seed":D

just go buy some raw popcorn seeds. not the buttered up kind in the microwave bag. add dirt and water then boom,little green sprouts! they grow pretty fast. I did it to show my 4 year old brother how to grow things.:)

say CORN! haha. not popcorn! Us Huskers take our corn Seriously!!! lol. The constant water flow that goes on in a Cham cage will cause your corn to have "Rootless Corn Syndrome" (No I didnt just make that up) haha. Not to mention you would need quite a bed of dirt on the bottom. Shallow seed depth and too much moisture will cause issues with Corn!

And Since I mentioned the Huskers, I gotta say GO BIG RED!!!!!!!;)

say CORN! haha. not popcorn! Us Huskers take our corn Seriously!!! lol. The constant water flow that goes on in a Cham cage will cause your corn to have "Rootless Corn Syndrome" (No I didnt just make that up) haha. Not to mention you would need quite a bed of dirt on the bottom. Shallow seed depth and too much moisture will cause issues with Corn!

And Since I mentioned the Huskers, I gotta say GO BIG RED!!!!!!!;)

eww! A husker! ;)[my cousin lives in Nebraska] But yeah my plants died because the substrate was to shallow, like you said. They handled moisture well though.

!!!GO DENVER!!

Back
Top Bottom