Popcorn

I was just asking these same questions for a project next year- planting clover ( you can get that at any seed elevator ) but the corn, I am not so sure about - the reason is- the corn has little "hairs" all over it, and as the plant grows, these hairs become more stiff, I am worried it could scratch their eyeballs- also, the edge of the leaves get sharp - my horse once spooked, and ran in the corn field , my legs were really cut up from the leaves - and right now it is "tasseling " - the pollen parts break off in little bits, and are dusty - I am going to pass on the corn - otherwise- it is just the type of plant I was going to use too- but my project is a huge outdoor thing - but I like the ideas you are getting, as I need a low ground cover too :)

FWIW, I've always used fully planted cages. My old quadricornis breeding setup from the 90's pictured below. At one time I had 80 cages going. My cages have a tubbed bottom and I plant right in them.

I've grown just about everything in my enclosures, including avocado trees, bamboo, ornamental grasses, ferns. I do not use houseplants, they are too expensive, I use plants from the forests and my property. I also gather seeds and spores and put them in the cages where they will start on their own. My plants do so well that they grow out of the drain holes in my cages. The females can lay right in the roots. I keep a few empty cages for swapping out when I'm cleaning and pruning. If you set it up right it will work.

Attachments

• cage1.jpg
    cage1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 80
FWIW, I've always used fully planted cages. My old quadricornis breeding setup from the 90's pictured below. At one time I had 80 cages going. My cages have a tubbed bottom and I plant right in them.

I've grown just about everything in my enclosures, including avocado trees, bamboo, ornamental grasses, ferns. I do not use houseplants, they are too expensive, I use plants from the forests and my property. I also gather seeds and spores and put them in the cages where they will start on their own. My plants do so well that they grow out of the drain holes in my cages. The females can lay right in the roots. I keep a few empty cages for swapping out when I'm cleaning and pruning. If you set it up right it will work.

that sounds cool. i will try the avocado tree.

Back
Top Bottom