Poor Humidity making my chameleon unhappy!

Hi Guys,

In our old house we had our panther chameleons routine perfect, everything was going really well and we had a VERY happy and friendly chameleon.

Since we moved (coming up to 2 months ago) we have had problems keeping the humidity up in his cage, his cage is upstairs in our office room which has slanted roofs which has little storage compartments round the outside. It can get quite cold in here without the heating on. In a day I am spraying his cage about 6 times to keep the humidity above 50% and have started drying our washing in this room too (trying to keep the humidity up around %65). but when I come in in the morning (or if I have popped out for a couple of hours) the humidity is around 20% and sometimes I've seen it at 17%. He is in a mesh cage so we are wondering if we should get some screens to try to keep the humidity/heat in a bit better...

Over the past couple of weeks, he's been getting less energetic and less friendly. he's really not a happy boy at the moment... On a normal day before the move he would happily explore the whole house all day long (if we let him) and when you would walk past the cage he would dive to the front and launch himself onto our hands (he used to love playing on our clothes airer too). At the moment (coming up for 2 weeks) he spends most of his time in the middle of the cage and isnt bothered about moving... he drinks alot from a pipette has eaten a few locusts but most of the days he doesn't eat any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Putting some plastic screening around 2 or 3 of the sides will help greatly. I also use a cool mist humidifier that I got at walgreens. It is also very helpful to have lots of live plants in the enclosure.

I suggest using a cool mist humidifier to increase the humidity in the room. This works really well for me living in a cold climate as I was having the same issue. I recommend plugging it into a timer that you can set to come on/off at various times of the day. It doesn't need to run 24/7, just as much as you need to maintain appropriate humidity levels.

Back
Top Bottom