Poop? Urate?

Hillary anne

Established Member
Lou has been home from the vet for two days. The vet mentioned concern for a sack in stomach via xrays. I took him out to sunbathe for a good 45 minutes and right before taking him inside he pooped this:

Way bizarre, anyone have any insight on what this is? He was extremely dehydrated when i picked him up Monday. Have been hand nozzle-drop water feeding him since Monday evening. I hope this is a good thing.

Being outside always encourages my guys to poop, too... personally, if they're concerned about something in his intestines I'd be glad that he is successfully pooping.

I can't tell you if that's a good poop or not... I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone here is! The urates are probably inline with the dehydration but I have no idea if the slimy, light brown poop is ok. Whats he eating?

Being outside always encourages my guys to poop, too... personally, if they're concerned about something in his intestines I'd be glad that he is successfully pooping.

I can't tell you if that's a good poop or not... I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone here is! The urates are probably inline with the dehydration but I have no idea if the slimy, light brown poop is ok. Whats he eating?
Since at the vet? I believe a cricket or two and a tube feeding.

That looks like the results of tube feeding with a light colored poop and dehydration that is improving as the urate is going from orange to a nice white end. Hopefully the next one is even whiter.
Ferretinmyshoes is very rarely on here anymore.
Thank you!

I put it in a plastic bag and in the fridge. For some reason my gut told me to. Upon returning today to pay last weeks vet bill they did not run a second fecal and I’d rather be safe than sorrier than I already am. I am still shocked they requested to hold and observe him for nearly a week and he looked on deaths door dehydrated when I picked him up :(. Had a water bowl in his enclosure and I even dropped off his sprayer, that has a slow drop release. :(((

I personally would not leave my chameleon at the vet unless they were doing treatments daily that I could not do by myself at home. My house is going to be less stressful. If they are doing something important like tube feeding or giving injections then he would probably have to stay.

I personally would not leave my chameleon at the vet unless they were doing treatments daily that I could not do by myself at home. My house is going to be less stressful. If they are doing something important like tube feeding or giving injections then he would probably have to stay.
This was a hard lesson learned for sure. They had me drop him off because on to of foot injury and feet liaisons he also was dragging his vent with bright blood, they did a cloa wash and pulled out suppressed hemipenal shed. He is on an injection of fortaz but I was taught how to inject him. Bah. I was really upset. Vet and I agreed on to no more drop offs unless it’s only a few hours and same day. I was sent home with sporanox oral today and am nervous about this being the 4th med he’s on now :/.

This was a hard lesson learned for sure. They had me drop him off because on to of foot injury and feet liaisons he also was dragging his vent with bright blood, they did a cloa wash and pulled out suppressed hemipenal shed. He is on an injection of fortaz but I was taught how to inject him. Bah. I was really upset. Vet and I agreed on to no more drop offs unless it’s only a few hours and same day. I was sent home with sporanox oral today and am nervous about this being the 4th med he’s on now :/.
The thing that upsets me the most is I called To check in daily and was told he’s doing great, but not ready to come home! I’m so glad went in and took him home when I did. I do not think he got any care over the weekend. Just two days home and he’s not in the best shape but he is looking and acting far better than when I took him home.

The vet tech called tonight and I am at a loss with conflicting feelings and thoughts. The orange in his urates they insisted were from it sitting in a stomach for a while but I know it’s maybe a combo from that but a big factor was his dehydration.
I accidentally kicked out some of his Fortaz tonight but he got more than half his dose. They told me to wake him up and administer it again with full dose. I am concerned to do that because stressing him out even more after water therapy and applying/administering his other meds. They told me to come in Friday for bloodwork and a bio... $500, which is not so much except all my funds this last month have been depleted to him, and he is showing some improvement being home.
My gut is telling me to hold off on the additional Fortaz shot, is telling me to let him take it easy until next week because maybe familiarity will boost his appetite again. He is on two antifungals now one topical one oral for his small foot liaisons, Fortaz every other day, metacam, and the silver sulfadine on his larger foot wound. For three weeks he has been in and out of the vet, this last time finding an interesting round mass in his stomach thats was movin down his tract and shrinking with 2 xrays done the week he was in their care.
The biopsy takes 7 days blood work 2-3 days.
I think my vet is an amazing person and they are great but I am having a hard time still accepting his dehydration. I can not do the biopsy or bloodwork Friday even if I wanted to, possibly one or the other but not both. This is based off his foot wound and the small liaisons under his foot. With meds they aren’t inflamed anymore and seem to be healing. I think stress is wearing him down and am doing absolutely everything I can and am now having some doubts. I mentioned getting a second opinion and was told that the other place was their rivals and that if they felt they couldn’t help they’d suggest someone else...I am wondering why bloodwork and biopsy wasn’t recommended 3 weeks ago and not until I mentioned getting a second opinion. It may be because it’s taking a while to heal. I will share a photo of his foot 3 weeks ago, and then yesterday.:
foot liaison- treating with topical Antifungal and oral as of today.
Foot three weeks ago
Foot yesterday.

He is drinking, is in his hospital tub and was adventurous when I took him outside to sunbathe and he pooped, the color is from the tube feeding(confirmed).

Even if money wasn’t a huge concern I think that having a break for 3-5 days without this constant back and forth stress could be helpful, but I don’t know. I really wish that I knew an exotic vet or somewhere to bounce these ideas and his start to where he is now with. :(:/

Last edited:
The vet tech called tonight and I am at a loss with conflicting feelings and thoughts. The orange in his urates they insisted were from it sitting in a stomach for a while but I know it’s maybe a combo from that but a big factor was his dehydration.
I accidentally kicked out some of his Fortaz tonight but he got more than half his dose. They told me to wake him up and administer it again with full dose. I am concerned to do that because stressing him out even more after water therapy and applying/administering his other meds. They told me to come in Friday for bloodwork and a bio... $500, which is not so much except all my funds this last month have been depleted to him, and he is showing some improvement being home.
My gut is telling me to hold off on the additional Fortaz shot, is telling me to let him take it easy until next week because maybe familiarity will boost his appetite again. He is on two antifungals now one topical one oral for his small foot liaisons, Fortaz every other day, metacam, and the silver sulfadine on his larger foot wound. For three weeks he has been in and out of the vet, this last time finding an interesting round mass in his stomach thats was movin down his tract and shrinking with 2 xrays done the week he was in their care.
The biopsy takes 7 days blood work 2-3 days.
I think my vet is an amazing person and they are great but I am having a hard time still accepting his dehydration. I can not do the biopsy or bloodwork Friday even if I wanted to, possibly one or the other but not both. This is based off his foot wound and the small liaisons under his foot. With meds they aren’t inflamed anymore and seem to be healing. I think stress is wearing him down and am doing absolutely everything I can and am now having some doubts. I mentioned getting a second opinion and was told that the other place was their rivals and that if they felt they couldn’t help they’d suggest someone else...I am wondering why bloodwork and biopsy wasn’t recommended 3 weeks ago and not until I mentioned getting a second opinion.

He is drinking, is in his hospital tub and was adventurous when I took him outside to sunbathe and he pooped, the color is from the tube feeding(confirmed).

Even if money wasn’t a huge concern I think that having a break for 3-5 days without this constant back and forth stress could be helpful, but I don’t know. I really wish that I knew an exotic vet or somewhere to bounce these ideas and his start to where he is now with. :(:/
I think I’m defensive as hell because of this dehydration thing And not getting any fluids for 6 days. I can’t get over how sunken in his eyes were and how he could hardly get up until about 20 minutes of dripping for him to drink and him desperately licking up all the water he could find.

I will give my opinion just because I know that making decisions in this case can be hard and you have gone through so much with this guy and I cant imagine how hard its been. So, all I can tell you is what I would do it I were you, given the threads you've posted.

If I felt the vet wasnt properly caring for my animal, and the animal improved in my care, I would wait for another poop and see what happens. It was mentioned in another thread -- I would also start trying Manuka Honey on the foot. I totally understand your frustration and hesitation. You've done everything you possibly can--pay attention to him as I know you will, and see what his next poop shows.

I would also be making plans to see a different vet in the meantime. I would happily help you research new vets. I am very impressed with the way you have handled this whole experience and I am really rooting for you and your little dude.

Lou update. I picked up some more fortaz and some carnivore care from the vet today and am doing home care to see how this goes and getting bloodwork done when’s I can afford it it in the next week. He took to his syringe feeding like a champ. Was irritated at first but once he licked the first drop he drank the rest with no hesitation, went Ahead and gave him two syringes of water.Let him chill for a but and then gave him his shot of fortaz before bed. He was active and fell asleep soon after his lights shut off.

Miste his hospital bin this morning and he was licking up all the water on his bridge. Healthy tongue! Swelling down. He looks happy this morning. Think I’ll take him out to sunbathe in this humid Texas heat later this afternoon. He’s looking on the upswing in comparison to Monday.

Back
Top Bottom