Poop? Urate?

First, best wishes to both you and Lou, hes gorgeous. Second, never feel bad about second opinions. I had my dentist flip when I got a 2nd opinion on keeping the tooth he wanted to pull - later I found out it had to do with some insurance scam.

Most importantly I'd like to reiterate what a few people before said; You know Lou better than anyone so that puts you in a unique role being his caregiver. That is to say, you can experiment - if X works, keep doing it or try Y. Obviously for medicines and such you have to have a vet. Basically, you're informed [know what and how to administer injections etc], you have the ability and most of all you have love for your animal - I'd say if he keeps improving then maybe TRY treating him at home?

I also want to shout out that Manuka Honey... and if I'm not mistaken its ANY honey, just to a lesser degree. For skin wounds it works wonders!

Best of luck to the both of you!

First, best wishes to both you and Lou, hes gorgeous. Second, never feel bad about second opinions. I had my dentist flip when I got a 2nd opinion on keeping the tooth he wanted to pull - later I found out it had to do with some insurance scam.

Most importantly I'd like to reiterate what a few people before said; You know Lou better than anyone so that puts you in a unique role being his caregiver. That is to say, you can experiment - if X works, keep doing it or try Y. Obviously for medicines and such you have to have a vet. Basically, you're informed [know what and how to administer injections etc], you have the ability and most of all you have love for your animal - I'd say if he keeps improving then maybe TRY treating him at home?

I also want to shout out that Manuka Honey... and if I'm not mistaken its ANY honey, just to a lesser degree. For skin wounds it works wonders!

Best of luck to the both of you!
I appreciate your thoughts and support! Definitely going to the other opinion on Monday morning, would like to know their thoughts and get some bloodwork done. He pooped normal today, but is definitely showing signs of dehydration still. I was hopeful that the next urates would be whiter. I am setting up his mistking in his main enclosure tomorrow and then am going to let him explore if he’s up to it, hoping that will improve versus the daily hand mistings he’s getting. The problem with the hospital tub is that’s it’s plastic. So it definitely gets humid in there but it’s difficult to regulate without always having a damp towel which I’ve been changing out 2-3 times a day because I was his healing feet to have a point of not being damp. Today’s poop after some outdoor sunbathing for 30 minutes.
Enough orange to be concerned (to me). The poop was a healthy brown. Honestly this photo doesn’t cut it due to lighting. he’s been drinking and eating on his own since taking him off the second round of fortaz, which he’s been injected with the last 24 days, every other day.

Biggest questions for Lou for the second opinion:
His elbow is swollen, almost 2x as big as the other. (Psuedo gout?) I was a fool and went with pet store employees advice of bumping him to a 10.0 uvb from his 5 3 months ago, and nearly every or every other feeding for the last 2 years had been using calcium with d3.

His foot wound is healing so much better, but he still has a black spot under one heal and now that bottom of the foot is inflamed.

If I had known what I have learned in the last month alone with so much help here all this shit could of been avoided. :/

Biggest questions for Lou for the second opinion:
His elbow is swollen, almost 2x as big as the other. (Psuedo gout?) I was a fool and went with pet store employees advice of bumping him to a 10.0 uvb from his 5 3 months ago, and nearly every or every other feeding for the last 2 years had been using calcium with d3.

His foot wound is healing so much better, but he still has a black spot under one heal and now that bottom of the foot is inflamed.

If I had known what I have learned in the last month alone with so much help here all this shit could of been avoided. :/
Also, these random swellings didn’t happen until after I took him to the vet for problem number 1, a foot gash that kept busting and bleeding out. I fear he’s been over medicated with good intentions that made other things start to pop up, or that were slowly developing and now are present. I’m feeling sketched out about the fortaz.

I am by no means an expert and have royally screwed up somewhere. It’s been about $1000 in 4 vet visit bills + enclosure upgrades which has made me have to sit out a week. I have gone with my gut taking him off the fortaz because was on a second round(last injection his head ticked for 2 minutes and scared the shit out of me) and since day 2 of no injection has shown improvements in the appetite and drinking and active department. I get paid tomorrow and have a visit with Texas Avian Monday morning.

Back
Top Bottom