Please read...

TommyTsunami88

...I am worried that my new veiled 4 month old male isn't eating or drinking. I received him on Tuesday this week. He ate 3-4 pretty large crickets which now I feel were wayyyyyy to big for him when I got him out of the package and into the enclosure. I mist him for about 30 seconds three to four times a day. He seems pretty thin which bothers me. I have all the correct temps and what not and have my herptivite and rep cal but he wont eat so he has no supplements yet and he is VERY TIMID. Do you guys suggest I feed him pinheads? And I would love some feeding advice for a younger cham and new owner. Sorry to post another thread but I figured my other one wasnt very helpful in explaining. Thanks in advance.

Welcome!
At the top of the health forum there's a pretty detailed form that you may want to fill out, as it might help people help you troubleshoot things and make sure you're doing everything right.
If your guy is the size of the average 4 month old male veiled, pinheads would be rather smaller than you'd want to go and I'd go with 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch crickets (depending on his size). A rule of thumb is the length of the bug should approximate the distance between the cham's eyes, though they will eat bigger and doubtless do so in nature (my young veiled female scared me half to death last summer eating a cicada when she was outside).
30 seconds misting 3-4 times a day isn't nearly enough unless you've also got a drip system of some sort going. I find I have to mist my guys anywhere from 2-5 minutes before they even figure it out and start drinking.
A few days without eating, even if he ate right when you got him, isn't exceptional with a new chameleon. But fill out the form and maybe we can give you some more specific advice. And good luck!

Back
Top Bottom