Please Help

Patm523

I have a veiled chamelion about 6 months old. He has had 3 sheds before this last one which started 4 days ago. He only took 1 day to shed before. I now notice that he hasn't gotten all the old skin off his belly.

The biggest thing that worries me is for some reason his back legs arn't working well. He is shaker. And drags himself over his branches. I am completely confused as to what is going on with him. Can somebody give me some advise here? Thanks in advance.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Fill this form out and post some pictures. This will give some insight as to what could potentially be wrong.

As far as I know, shedding can take longer the older your cham gets. The leg issue sounds a bit more concerning though. Again, pictures and insight into your husbandry speak volumes

ajs replied to a thread you are watching at Chameleon Forums.
Please Help
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Moe has been with me for 4 to 5 months. As I said he is a veiled Chamelion and is a male.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Every now and again as he is grumpy and stresses when you get close to him. He turns black and green and hisses when I try to reach for hi.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Crickets he devoures them. He gets 10 to 15 a day. He is also given BSF 2 times a week, wax worms. I used to give him horn worms, but I think he got bitten by one so now he runs from them. Dubai roaches now and again, but he really doesn't eat them. I put greens along with finely diced melon usually cantaloupe. He has not eatten any if the greens or melon though.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I use Reptavite Calciumn every morning along with Flukers vitamin supplement. No d3 as I do it every morning.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I must every morning until everything is soaked. I have a friend that dies misting 2 times a day will I'm at work. I then mist before they go to bed. I see them drink. I have a reptile misting system but it can't be relied in so that is why I use a misting bottle.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Medium brown in color, huge, firm but soft also has a yellow to white urine sack. No testing for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • That's about all I know. I bought him from Flchams.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24 x24x 36 inches glass. I tried the reptibreeze but no matter what I did I could not get humidity up. So I switch to all glass. The top is screen and the doors are open slightly all day.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I use the T8 tropical bar light. I have a basking light that is 100 watt and a 100 heat emmitter. The ammitterr is never turned off. Lights are in from 8:30 to 8:30.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Floir is at 72 degrees middle of cage is about 76 and the top is at 80.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • I use a reptafogger for 12 out of 24 hours. There is also a bowl in the bottom to help with humidity. I have a digital gage for temp and humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • I have plants for them but no live plants, most are plastic or silk.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • The cage us in the dining room so I guess it is high traffic. By the patio door. From the floor the tip if the cage is 5 ft 7 inches
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Western Washington
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

He has been in his latest shed for 4 days now. He has shed in one day 3 times before. Now I notice that his appitate is slowed. His back legs move but it is like he doesn't know what to do with them. He is wobbly, and drags his back end over his vines. I just not sure if this is something I need to take him to the vet for. I am new at this so just looking for advice.

Thanks
Pat

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Fill this form out and post some pictures. This will give some insight as to what could potentially be wrong
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Please Help at Chameleon Forums with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.​

@MissSkittles you re better at this than me . He needs a husbandry review too! So it is normal for some chams to stop eatting during shed . It's a paticular painful time for them if it's stuck. As previously mentioned the rocking motions and dragging of his legs sounds like it's to remove the shed. You can hand spray lukewarm warm over the shed to help assist him .

Some if these products I'm not sure about. I have shed ease but the directions say to soak him for 20 minutes. Seems excessive to me. Should I do this?

If the water doesn t work mix a shed ease bath but don't put him in it soak it into a soft cloth cloth or paper towel and lightly pat the shed . Or add it to a new misting bottle and spray it on to the old shed. They make shed ease spray but it sounds like you have the solution drops

If the water doesn t work mix a shed ease bath but don't put him in it soak it into a soft cloth cloth or paper towel and lightly pat the shed . Or add it to a new misting bottle and spray it on to the old shed. They make shed ease spray but it sounds like you have the solution drops
Thank you so much. I will see how he's doing with being sprayed with warm water first. Thanks again,
Pat

@MissSkittles you re better at this than me . He needs a husbandry review too! So it is normal for some chams to stop eatting during shed . It's a paticular painful time for them if it's stuck. As previously mentioned the rocking motions and dragging of his legs sounds like it's to remove the shed. You can hand spray lukewarm warm over the shed to help assist him .
Will do my best.

Back
Top Bottom