Please help!

i woke up to my chameleon laying on a branch with his eyes extremely sunken in and when I took him out he opened his mouth and wouldn’t close it. He’s so weak and pale. What do I need to do for him?? What’s wrong??? He gets appropriate lighting, water every day, food every day with appropriate supplements. I’m sitting in the bathroom with him and the shower is on to make the room humid to help him be more comfortable. I don’t know what I did wrong. His eyes were completely fine when I put him to bed last night

Attachments

• BA8F085F-DA43-4DDE-9CEA-0059899BE471.jpeg
    BA8F085F-DA43-4DDE-9CEA-0059899BE471.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 141
While looking for a vet, you'll want to keep a close eye on him. Unfortunately, eyes suddenly sunken in that far is highly characteristic of a chameleon that is very near the end of their life. Just want you to be prepared in case it's already too late. I'm so sorry for you and your beautiful boy!

Wow, he looks crazy dehydrated and malnourished in that pic. Please fill out the how to ask for help form listed above once he’s stable. It looks like something has been wrong for awhile based on the pic.

Wow, he looks crazy dehydrated and malnourished in that pic. Please fill out the how to ask for help form listed above once he’s stable. It looks like something has been wrong for awhile based on the pic.
His eyes were perfectly normal last night. It’s just this morning that he has sunken eyes here’s a picture of him A few days ago

Attachments

• 7AFA6858-8E4B-4D9C-B6C6-297A8328AB9B.jpeg
    7AFA6858-8E4B-4D9C-B6C6-297A8328AB9B.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 115
To everyone worried: he passed away while we were at the vet. I told the vet all of my husbandry and he said everything was perfect and the only reason he’d go from perfectly healthy to completely destroyed is maybe by some toxic thing he breathed in or the fact that we moved just a week ago and he got to stressed to handle it. I’m devastated. Just sitting in front of the box he’s in, crying. The vet made this little card with prints of his tail and feet. I love you so much Jasper.

Attachments

• CB10B7F1-38FD-46EE-B2A9-7FBE500228DD.jpeg
    CB10B7F1-38FD-46EE-B2A9-7FBE500228DD.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 85
It would still be helpful to curious minds if you fill out the form. My chams send their love to their lost friend!

To everyone worried: he passed away while we were at the vet. I told the vet all of my husbandry and he said everything was perfect and the only reason he’d go from perfectly healthy to completely destroyed is maybe by some toxic thing he breathed in or the fact that we moved just a week ago and he got to stressed to handle it. I’m devastated. Just sitting in front of the box he’s in, crying. The vet made this little card with prints of his tail and feet. I love you so much Jasper.
I’m sorry about what happened :/ Make sure to remember him and the good memories.

It would still be helpful to curious minds if you fill out the form. My chams send their love to their lost friend!
Chameleon Info:

Sorry for the wait. Here’s the write up. Sorry for any typos or stuff like that, I’m very tired

• Your Chameleon - The species: ambilobe sex: male
  • and age of your chameleon: I’m not entirely sure, 6-7 months I think. How long has it been in your care: I got him when he was 2 months so about 4-6 months
  • Handling - once a week at most. He gets a bit stressed when I hold him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: crickets
  • What amount?: as much as he wants as I’ve been told juveniles are supposed to eat at much as they chose. I was just about to put together a count of how many be is limited to because he was coming of age that he no longer was a “juvenile”
  • What is the schedule?: I feed him morning or mid day
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders?: I get them from a person who pre - gut loads them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: there were so many different ways that people says we’re correct about how to suppument and this is the schedule I saw was the most fitting. Dust with calcium without D3 all days of the week except one day out of the week do calcium with D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Spray - mister one gallon bottle How often and how long to you mist? 2 times a day- late morning- early evening Do you see your chameleon drinking? Absolutely. I even put the spray bottle on stream and put very little pressure on it and he drinks right from the stream ever other day if not every day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Colors are great imo, poo and urate are very well formed, not hard or not runny. He’s never been tested for parasites unfortunately.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: I’d say he’s a very hyper - stressed cham. He’s always been like this. Never liked me or being handled that much. Slightest thing will stress him very much.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage: it’s all mesh / wire for good ventalation What are the dimension? 18x - 18x - 36x was going to upgrade to the bigger size when he got bigger very sorry I don’t have a full picture of it. I took it down today without thinking about getting a photo. I couldn’t see it without bursting into tears and I didn’t feel like crying every time I walked into that room.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?: 2 lamps: one is a thermal heating temp thingy- the other is a no heat UVB UVA light I believe the brand was zoo med What is your daily lighting schedule? Wakes up at 9 am. ( turn on lights ) goes to bed at 9 pm ( turn off nights )
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Ambiant temp: 75 - 80. Basking: 90 Lowest overnight temp? 70-75 How do you measure these temps? With the temperature gauge. I put it in various spot of the cage annually to make sure the temps have stayed at the same temps and nothing is to hot or cold.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 40-60 % it’s hard to keep the humidity perfect so I have a humidifier. And he’s on a bathroom so it’s easier to regulate. When he looks any bid dehydrated I crank the shower to high heat and let it get very humid In the bathroom (80-85%) What do you use to measure humidity? One of those little humidity things that looks just like the temp gauge
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Used to have a jade plant in with him but the jade was getting to much humidity and died so I didn’t put any more live plants in with him.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? bathroom Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No, bathroom is upstairs and the most used bathroom is downstairs At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? counter heighth (If that makes sense lol )
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Idaho

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

Sorry for the wait. Here’s the write up. Sorry for any typos or stuff like that, I’m very tired

• Your Chameleon - The species: ambilobe sex: male
  • and age of your chameleon: I’m not entirely sure, 6-7 months I think. How long has it been in your care: I got him when he was 2 months so about 4-6 months
  • Handling - once a week at most. He gets a bit stressed when I hold him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: crickets
  • What amount?: as much as he wants as I’ve been told juveniles are supposed to eat at much as they chose. I was just about to put together a count of how many be is limited to because he was coming of age that he no longer was a “juvenile”
  • What is the schedule?: I feed him morning or mid day
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders?: I get them from a person who pre - gut loads them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?: there were so many different ways that people says we’re correct about how to suppument and this is the schedule I saw was the most fitting. Dust with calcium without D3 all days of the week except one day out of the week do calcium with D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Spray - mister one gallon bottle How often and how long to you mist? 2 times a day- late morning- early evening Do you see your chameleon drinking? Absolutely. I even put the spray bottle on stream and put very little pressure on it and he drinks right from the stream ever other day if not every day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Colors are great imo, poo and urate are very well formed, not hard or not runny. He’s never been tested for parasites unfortunately.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you: I’d say he’s a very hyper - stressed cham. He’s always been like this. Never liked me or being handled that much. Slightest thing will stress him very much.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage: it’s all mesh / wire for good ventalation What are the dimension? 18x - 18x - 36x was going to upgrade to the bigger size when he got bigger very sorry I don’t have a full picture of it. I took it down today without thinking about getting a photo. I couldn’t see it without bursting into tears and I didn’t feel like crying every time I walked into that room.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?: 2 lamps: one is a thermal heating temp thingy- the other is a no heat UVB UVA light I believe the brand was zoo med What is your daily lighting schedule? Wakes up at 9 am. ( turn on lights ) goes to bed at 9 pm ( turn off nights )
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Ambiant temp: 75 - 80. Basking: 90 Lowest overnight temp? 70-75 How do you measure these temps? With the temperature gauge. I put it in various spot of the cage annually to make sure the temps have stayed at the same temps and nothing is to hot or cold.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 40-60 % it’s hard to keep the humidity perfect so I have a humidifier. And he’s on a bathroom so it’s easier to regulate. When he looks any bid dehydrated I crank the shower to high heat and let it get very humid In the bathroom (80-85%) What do you use to measure humidity? One of those little humidity things that looks just like the temp gauge
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Used to have a jade plant in with him but the jade was getting to much humidity and died so I didn’t put any more live plants in with him.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? bathroom Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No, bathroom is upstairs and the most used bathroom is downstairs At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? counter heighth (If that makes sense lol )
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Idaho
You must gutload your feeders yourself! Calcium with D3 should be given twice monthly, not weekly, and you need a multivitamin twice monthly, too. Panthers need more mistings a day than that, at least 3-4, for at least 2 minutes each time, but preferably for 5 minutes each time. What color was his urates? If he was stressed, then no handling and put more cover in his cage/fix what was stressing him out in his cage. Were there enough branches, vines, plants, plant cover in his enclosure? Was the uvb light linear or compact? Panthers prefer a temp drop at night, usually around 10 degrees, I believe. Humidity was too low, misting more and live plants would help with that. Never use hot water to mist your chameleon! Only use room temp! He might have been stressed with the cage on the floor, raise it up. Again, sorry for your loss!

It really sucks he passed away so early in his life. If you plan on trying again, use this forum as a resource, there is really limitless amounts of good husbandry info to be had here.

Back
Top Bottom