please help

dbmonroe

My young nosy be panther is almost solid black and his tail doesnt seem to be working right.Seems like Iike hangs up on everything and he curls it to the side. He seems to be reallyaaggravated. Just started this today

The dark colors means hes stressed or cold. Are his temperatures right? My Cham has almost the same problem as yours. I was told that it could be she's cold or stressed.

-Nosy be panther. 5/6 months old. I've had him about 2 months
-we handle him 15 to 20 minutes every few days
-he eats crickets and meals worm twice daily and we dust them on average twice a week wiyh repti calcium with d3
-mist his cage 3 to 4 times a day for a minute or so and usually see him drink
-his droppings are usually black with white

Cage info
-open screen cage 18x18x36
-using an 18" reptisun 5.0 uvb tube and a regular heat lamp
His basking spot stays around 90-100 and the bottom of the cage is 70-80. Night temps are usually around high 60s to low 70s
-I have a zilla digital thermometer and hygrometer
-large live ficus tree
-cage has always been in the corner of the living room. The top of the cage is roughly about 6 feet from the floor
-we are located in southeast kentucky

Current problem
Yoshi has been almost solid black for the past two days and hasnt eaten nor drank. Nothing has changed from our normal routine. Last night while he was sleeping I snuck in and he wasall pretty and orange but even with no one in the room he turns black as coal and I know hes not cold. Hes been really hateful toward us with his neck puffing out and turning red whenever we get close. He shed about this time last month could thag be a possibility? Thank you for your time please help
Derek and Kirsten

How big is he? He might be getting too big for his cage, although I highly doubt that.

I think maybe your basking spots are a little too hot. For panthers I believe basking spots should be no hotter than around 82 degrees. Ambient temp 72-80. Until he is 10 months old you will need to lower the basking temperature by around 10 degrees.. Then up it to 85-90 when he is a year old.

So he is probably very grumpy or unhappy because of the temperatures.

I'm not sure if this is the cause but i'm pretty sure that you should only be using a D3 based calcium 1-2 a month and using a calcium without D3 every-every other feed

I'm not sure if this is the cause but i'm pretty sure that you should only be using a D3 based calcium 1-2 a month and using a calcium without D3 every-every other feed

Yes this also.

D3 calcium twice a month, non-d3 calcium lightly dusted every feeding or every other.

The temperature is the likely culprit.

Dusting should be:
plain calcium everyday
calcium with d3 twice a moth
Multivitamin twice a month too.

Have you changed anything in his cage lately? Or maybe handling him more often? Can he see any other animals, dogs, cats, other chams?

Other then that stuff just make sure his basking temp is no hotter then 85 until he gets older

Try to find some Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus. I dust the food every day with it, and have excellent results. My Panther Chams seem to do well with it.
---When the females are laying they will probably need more calcium in their system or the eggs will draw it from their bones, making them weak. If you find that they don't have a good grip and walk on the bottom of the gage a lot get her to a vet.

We have a pit bull but he doesnt get close to the cage. The cage has had the same setup since we put him in it

Have you changed anything in his cage lately? Or maybe handling him more often? Can he see any other animals, dogs, cats, other chams?

Other then that stuff just make sure his basking temp is no hotter then 85 until he gets older

Nothing has changed in his cage. Always been the same setup. We have a pitbull but he doesnt get close to the cage

Nothing has changed in his cage. Always been the same setup. We have a pitbull but he doesnt get close to the cage

It's most likely the heat then, they turn darker in basking temps and when it's just too hot over all. Switch out your basking bulb with a regular light bulb around 45 watts, check the temps and then lower or raise the watts depending on the temp.

If nothing seems to work, try moving him to another location. I live in the outskirts of San Diego and I have it setup to where I take the cadges outside during the day for natural sun light with water drips, and when the temperature reaches 85F, I'll bring them back inside. I have to watch for roadrunners, hawks and snakes.
Two months ago I saw a goffer snake looking inside that cadge wondering how to get inside for a quick lunch. Had to put him in the neighbors yard (and asked him not to come back).

Back
Top Bottom