please help! the back of his head looks swollen

Don't know... It tookhim a little longer to shed so I bought flukers humidifying spray to help his shedding and skin dry.

He does look a little better than this morning.
I just misted his whole cage and him as well.

I'll post some new pics

Hi and welcome to the forums. :) Honestly I agree with what most of the other posters have said. Please get him checked out with a reptile veterinarian his mouth looks a little off and from what you are describing he is not acting normally. Remember that chameleons in the wild if they are acting weak will get picked off by predators therefore they are excellent at hiding illness often until it is too late. I'm not trying to scare you I'm just trying to provide a needed urgency to the situation.

Please stop beating around the bush and making excuses. The form still has not been filled out. Seems that may not be an issue since he is going down hill fast.

Highly experienced people have told you take him to a Vet. But you ignore what you do not want to hear. No one is picking on you, frustration that you are not doing as asked tends to leave everyone feeling very helpless.

You said..."He started being less active and going downhill on his appetite when I got a new veiled CHAMELEON. I recently seperated them and ever since I bought my veiled ,hes not as active as before "...do you mean you had the two of them in the same cage??? You didn't quarantine the new veiled?? How old is the veiled??

will you please copy the form in note pad and put your answers beside the questions and then paste it in your message. please fill every question COMPLETELY out.

you are asking questions and getting answers but when you are asked questions we are not getting full answers.

if you dont mind me asking..what is your age?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, I would rather delay my happy and joyful tune to kind of emphasize urgency here....

We are trying to help you, obviously people have tried and tried again to reach out and get enough information to actually go through with it but at this point, it seems to be setting on deaf ears.

People want to help your cham before it gets serious. If you want to see how SERIOUS things can get, search up Mouth Rot on the forums. After you are done with that, search up MBD. I understand you are new, but maybe instead of getting more chams... try helping your current ones thrive.

Regardless of how you go about this thread, PLEASE take your little one to the vet. If you don't want to tell us everything, fine BUT don't let your little one have something go under the radar and cause something bad in the end.

Please, do not mistake urgency for rudeness. I am only saying this because I would not want to see an unhappy person and a hurt cham due to improper keeping.

As many have said, I would recommend bringing your chameleon to a reptile vet.
He's a beautiful chameleon, by the way. Absolutely gorgeous.

Guys , don't think I don't want to take him to vet.. I'm gonna tell u guys straight out.. i dont have that kinda money for even a check up ,that's the truth... It's sad. I really don't think hes weak cause of not eating, i think he.might.be injured from the fall he took 2 days ago. His neck looks a lil stif

How do I copy and paste health form.. its not that I don't want to, I just don't know how peoples. Grrrrrrrr

I don't know if I can help, but I will be in Orange County this weekend for my son's karate tournament.

If I can figure out the time, I might be able to come by and look at your set up, supps, cham etc

I should be careful offering this, last time I did I ended up spending half my day off and the person never bothered to call me.

But I am willing to at least try, and if need any supplies, I might be able to bring them.
Let me know, anne

How do I copy and paste health form.. its not that I don't want to, I just don't know how peoples. Grrrrrrrr

Seriously?

okay, I've copied it and am pasting it here.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Copy that (highlight it, right click, select COPY). Start a new post, PASTE it (right click, select PASTE).

Type in your information. Be as specific as possible. Name brands for everything, especially lights and supplements. You've already posted pictures of the chameleon, but pictures of the enclosure would be very helpful.

It's hard to copy and paste on my cell. Finally got it!

your care? Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I hold twice a day ,haven't held him the past two days.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? I am feeing him worms and crickets. Haven't crickets. More worms last few days ,don't want budge for crickets...every now nd then.

What amount? 9 times a day,right now its at 2

How are you gut-loading your feeders? I don't
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium d3 3 times a week .. I know I'm supposed to give him straight calcium.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Spray bottle him and the cage 3 times daily.

Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes ,the other day I think he had too much water and a watery saliva cane out of his mouth. Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings- his dropping look like its surrounded in a bubble and it has a too of white at the end. Last two days haven't popped.

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you- He fell off his terrarium and landed on grass. Casque also looked swollen but looks like the swelling went down( that's the day I fed him too much water).
Back of neck looks swollen ,might be from fall.

Cage Info: Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2 1/2 foot high terrium / 18 inches wide. Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Just switched to reptisun 5.0

What is your daily lighting schedule? Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Uvb 9 hrs a day with daylight basking bulb. Then at 7 pm I put red heat bulb on
At night it about 82.... ILL GET TO THE REST.. MY PHONES GONNA DIE

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relativeto yourroom floor? Location - Where are you geographically located?

My advice:

Stop holding your chameleon twice a day. It's not necessary and it probably isn't wanted by the chameleon.

Feed your crickets!!! Sorry, but that's basic. You'll find lots of advice on that here, but in my opinion, the most important thing is that you DO IT. I'm not going to condemn you for using a factory made food, I just want you to feed your crickets!

Get a "dripper" going so there is more continuous water available to your chameleon. STOP forcing water into his mouth.

I mention, again, the possibility that this is not a male. How sure are you and why are you so sure? I'm not a panther person, so maybe the colors shown in the pictures posted make it obviously a male. Please tell me that.

It's hard to copy and paste on my cell. Finally got it!

your care? Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I hold twice a day ,haven't held him the past two days.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? I am feeing him worms and crickets. Haven't crickets. More worms last few days ,don't want budge for crickets...every now nd then.

What amount? 9 times a day,right now its at 2

How are you gut-loading your feeders? I don't
Calcium d3 3 times a week .. I know I'm supposed to give him straight calcium.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Spray bottle him and the cage 3 times daily.

Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes ,the other day I think he had too much water and a watery saliva cane out of his mouth. Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings- his dropping look like its surrounded in a bubble and it has a too of white at the end. Last two days haven't popped.

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you- He fell off his terrarium and landed on grass. Casque also looked swollen but looks like the swelling went down( that's the day I fed him too much water).
Back of neck looks swollen ,might be from fall.

Cage Info: Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2 1/2 foot high terrium / 18 inches wide. Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Just switched to reptisun 5.0

What is your daily lighting schedule? Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Uvb 9 hrs a day with daylight basking bulb. Then at 7 pm I put red heat bulb on
At night it about 82.... ILL GET TO THE REST.. MY PHONES GONNA DIE

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relativeto yourroom floor? Location - Where are you geographically located?

Thank you for posting this.

12 hours of UVB is needed. A cham in the wild would have 12 hours of daylight to access, we are to provide exactly that.

Get rid of the red bulb.

Temps need to go lower at night. What are your day time temps at? What is the basking temp at?

In regards to the bold, is this regarding how you sprayed into your cham's mouth?

In regards to the italics... if you know you need to supplement every day with Calc w/o d3, are you? If you are not... why aren't you?

As I said before, please do not take urgency as rudeness. Please address the questions that I have asked as soon as you can....

In regards to taking your animal to a vet... they can work something out with you usually when it comes to making payments. It is crucial that you 1) get a fecal done to test for parasites 2) keep track of weight and growth of your cham as it ages 3) the mouth issue.... the falling issue... so on and so fourth.

We all understand how hard life can be sometimes, but you are responsible for the life of the cham. I appreciate your ability to come on the forums and look for help, that is the step in the right direction.... but you also have to be open to what those of us on the forum will come back with. Slow down a bit, keep your chin up, and things will go smooth.

My advice:

Stop holding your chameleon twice a day. It's not necessary and it probably isn't wanted by the chameleon.

Feed your crickets!!! Sorry, but that's basic. You'll find lots of advice on that here, but in my opinion, the most important thing is that you DO IT. I'm not going to condemn you for using a factory made food, I just want you to feed your crickets!

Get a "dripper" going so there is more continuous water available to your chameleon. STOP forcing water into his mouth.

I mention, again, the possibility that this is not a male. How sure are you and why are you so sure? I'm not a panther person, so maybe the colors shown in the pictures posted make it obviously a male. Please tell me that.

Here is an article on sexing panthers...

Credit goes to Bill Strand.

http://chameleonnews.com/02MarStrandBabyBlues.html

Back
Top Bottom