Please help. Mouth rot

I did have an experience where reptaid got rid of mouth rot in two of my chameleons. I had an appointment for both, and started using the reptaid in the mean time. When I brought them to the vets they didn't see any signs of mouth rot. I have also had reptaid not help even a little though. I guess it's worth a shot if you can have some shipped to you and really can't get anything else.

Probably a dumb question, but what causes mouth rot?

A wide variety of opportunistic bacteria cause mouth rot given the right environment to thrive, plus a suppressed immune system doesnt help. So I'd say a lack of nutrition/supplements/variety paired with optimum temps and moisture for the bacteria to do what they do best...wreak havoc :eek:
Hope that helps, I'm not a vet but I know what they can do to humans:)

I think mine got it from injuries to the mouth by feeders. Or that's what it looked like, but I have no idea. I've only had three that got it, and the worst one (kept coming back regardless of antibiotic, but went away with reptaid) already had it when I got her. I was told that she had had mouth rot, but that it was gone. Within 2 weeks, she had it again! And then again, and again. 3rd time the reptaid made the whole thing to away and she never got it again. I was completely surprised by it. I rinsed the infected area out with the reptaid and carefully used a dental tool I had to help get rid of the excess gunk. (Don't recommend that unless you get the okay from a vet or know what you're doing.) she also had a very very small and sad-looking clutch of eggs (unburied and in a hanging pothos pot) within a week of getting her, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Of course, reptaid is, in my opinion, still unlikely to cure/fix issues. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I think it's worth a try if there is absolutely nothing else you can do or you do it while you are waiting to see the vet.

Back
Top Bottom