please help me with Drac's cage

serenitystarlite

Established Member
My nosy be panther chameleon Drac hates his cage and I hate it too. We're having serious cage issues with it. Drac was in a wood/screen cage that was 18x12x30in. As he got bigger, he started pacing the cage and trying to get out. So I started working on a new cage and debated moving him into Kami's 2x2x5ft cage. But with Kami's past health problems, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sanitize that cage well enough for him and felt bad downgrading her from her condo. When I was at the reptile show a few weeks ago, I got a female Jackson's chameleon named Lotus along with a 15x15x30in screen/metal cage. Even though the 2 cages are almost the same size, the new one seems like it has more space since it's square, so I moved him into this cage thinking he would like it. I don't think he likes it.

So here are the problems I'm having with this current cage:

1. This new cage's screen is very tiny and I can't hang anything from the screen itself, only from the frame. The cages I built are made with 1/4th inch hardware cloth, so it's extremely easy to hang things in those cages. It's also really easy for my chameleons to hold onto. I've been trying to add more vines and things and having a really hard time hanging anything except for what's already in there. If I could hang more vines, maybe he would feel more comfortable and have more things to climb on instead of the screen.

2. Drac seems like he has trouble holding onto this screen and has fallen several times (into his plant, he doesn't fall far). His grip seems fine and he never fell in his old cage. He grips me with no problem and doesn't lose his grip. I even turned him upside down and tried to (gently) shake him off of my hand to see if he was having issues with his grip and he held on with no problem. He doesn't fall from anything in the cage except the screen. He has no problem holding onto the plants and vines that are in there now. He doesn't fall all the time, just sometimes and usually from the top of the screen when he's upside down. His nails aren't very long compared to the rest of my chams. Does anyone else have an issue with screen cages like this? Do I need to put him back in his old cage and just put my new Jackson's in this one or will that stress him out even more?

3. This screen under the basking light gets extremely hot, probably hot enough to burn him. This also might be partly why he's falling sometimes, if he's burning his feet on the screen :( I checked him all over for burns and he seems to be fine, but now I'm afraid to use the light until I can find a solution for it. I'm going to see if I can find a bulb cage of some kind or see if I can find the clamp to this lamp and clamp it to something. I tried to make something out of hardware cloth for the lamp to sit on, but it fell. My lamps sit directly on my other cages and the hardware cloth doesn't get hot at all. What can I do? Someone else has to have this same cage that has a solution to this problem.

He has a 2x2x5ft cage waiting for him, but it will take a month for the stain/poly to dry. So in the meantime, I need to try to make this cage work or I'm going to throw it out the window (not with him it in of course :rolleyes:) Otherwise I can put him back in his old cage and move Lotus into this cage, but that will be stressful on both of them, especially because she might be pregnant (not my doing, she came that way) :eek:

These pics are from yesterday, before I moved his cage onto a plastic drawer for drainage. Here's my little blue guy:

l_14a1262d12bd4f27afddcebacb222665.jpg

here's his cage (it's now sitting on a plastic drawer for drainage):

l_2f6e0b08eada4679b4ab70afb419752e.jpg

l_69df7376d62b4d2ebaf7a99a48adefcf.jpg

and here's his Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male nosy be panther chameleon. He's about 6 months old and I've had him for 3 months.
* Handling - I've been handling him more lately when he's freaking out in his cage and he seems to calm down when I let him out to crawl on me and around the room.
* Feeding - I've offered him everything and it seems like he should be eating more than he does at his age. Some days he doesn't eat much at all. I offer him hornworms, butterworms, crickets, dubias, and even waxworms everyday. He usually only eats 2 or 3 worms or crickets each day. He won't touch the dubias and only ate 1 or 2 waxworms total. I gutload them (except the worms) with kale, orange slices, bananas, pears, Zilla gutload, and Fluker's cricket quencher. I offer him 5-10 feeders per day but he only eats 2 or 3.
* Supplements - Zoomed calcium without d3 every feeding, Rep-cal with d3 twice a month, and Rep-cal Herptivite once a month.
* Watering - I was misting several times a day. I didn't have a way to drain water, so I wasn't using a dripper but now the cage is sitting on a plastic drawer with holes drilled in the top of the drawer for drainage, so now I can use a dripper. Sometimes he drinks out of the spray bottle.
* Fecal Description - Fecal/urates are normal, even without a dripper for the past week.
* History - Nothing I can think of other than I switched him to a new cage, but he was pacing the old cage too.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Currently he is in a 15x15x30in metal/screen cage. Not sure what brand, I bought it from a breeder at the reptile show and it didn't have anything on the box.
* Lighting - 18in Repti-sun 5.0 UVB and a regular 60 watt household incandescent bulb for basking. Lights are on from 8am-8pm.
* Temperature - 85F at the basking spot and 75F at the bottom of his cage. At night it only goes down to about 70F since the weather has gotten nice. I use a digital thermometer.
* Humidity - Humidity is 50-75%. I mist the cage several times a day and his digital thermometer has a humidity gauge.
* Plants - There is a Dragon Plant and a pothos
* Placement - His current cage is near the window which is only open when it gets really hot in here. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the ground. There is a small fan but it points away from him and I run it at night. It blows on me at night but I can barely feel it, so I doubt it bothers any of the chams (plus it's always really hot in here at night).
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you for getting through this super long post :D

Buy that poor guy a tree and let him come out.

Lol if I didn't have cats, I would just free-range him. I let him crawl around on my curtains earlier and he seemed to like it up there. Now he's pacing his screen again even though lights are out. He'll have an awesome cage in about a month, poor guy just needs to be patient.

That is a good idea though, I think Lowe's just got in some braided ficus that I could pick up. I used to have an umbrella plant for the shower but it died.

Lol if I didn't have cats, I would just free-range him. I let him crawl around on my curtains earlier and he seemed to like it up there. Now he's pacing his screen again even though lights are out. He'll have an awesome cage in about a month, poor guy just needs to be patient.

That is a good idea though, I think Lowe's just got in some braided ficus that I could pick up. I used to have an umbrella plant for the shower but it died.

Don't you have a room you can put him in on a tree?

I don't have a room that I can close the cats out of. The downstairs is all open and then I just have my bedroom. I can put him in a tree when I'm home, I just have to get one first.

He's beautiful! I can't wait until my Nosy Be gets his blues... About 2 months to go!

Yea, see if you can get him a big tree or something to chill in for a little while every day. Something you can do if you can't find a really tall tree (some get really expensive at nurseries) is get a big branch, stick it in a heavy base (plaster or cement) and buy a fake leaf vine at Walmart and give the branch some leaf cover. It's a cheap alternative for now if you can't/don't get a big tree.

Thanks! He's a lot bluer in person. I took a bunch of other pics of him that I'm going to post in the photo section.

I'm going to try to pick up a tree for him tomorrow or Weds. What can I do about the light for when I'm at work? I don't want to leave him with no basking light, but I don't want him to get burned either and I have to be at work all day tomorrow. I can try to lower the wattage in the morning and see how hot the screen gets.

Can you raise the light? If he can burn his feet on the cage, then that's too hot right there. If you can't hang the light, then put something on the cage (coffee cups jump to mind) for the light to sit on....

They actually prefer a cooler night. Is there any way to bring the temperature down? I know you wouldn't spring for a portable air conditioner for yourself, but maybe you would do it for your chameleon? I think I read that night temps should ideally be in the 60-65 degree fahrenheit range.

Can you raise the light? If he can burn his feet on the cage, then that's too hot right there. If you can't hang the light, then put something on the cage (coffee cups jump to mind) for the light to sit on....

They actually prefer a cooler night. Is there any way to bring the temperature down? I know you wouldn't spring for a portable air conditioner for yourself, but maybe you would do it for your chameleon? I think I read that night temps should ideally be in the 60-65 degree fahrenheit range.

Well I'm currently looking for a way to raise the light off the screen. What do you mean by coffee cups? I can try hang the light. I just have to find something to hang it from, so I'll be going to Lowe's/Home Depot tomorrow or Weds. I would love to just replace the screen on top with hardware cloth, but I want to sell this cage when Drac's big cage is ready because I doubt the guy I bought it from will take it back.

As far as the temps, we have central air but it's kind of pointless and expensive to run it just to cool off my room right now when I can just run a fan in the window. When it starts to get hot I definitely turn it on. It's just like that in-between weather right now where it's cool outside but warm enough that my room is really hot. Windows open usually keep it around 70 at night, I just don't want to cause too much of a draft.

Nosy Be has a low temperature of 71-73 this week and a friend of mine who has had panthers for a long time said not to let the temps go under 66F. Drac is cb, but wouldn't I want to mimic the temps in the wild? Maybe some other people with nosy be chams can let us know what they think?

Put 4 coffee cups on the top of the screen spaced out so the lamp can sit on them. They are designed to deal with heat, so a good choice.

I've always read that panthers and veileds like a substantial drop in temperature for night. As much as 20 degrees.

In the wild, it would get way colder at night!!! In the wild, your baby would not be in a building that retains heat.

I'm sure there are other ways to achieve "cold at night" than starting the central air early. Let's see what the more knowledgeable members (more knowledgeable than me) say before I start spewing ideas.

In the wild right now it is 71-73F at night according to several websites. The low means the lowest temp in a 24 hr period. The high there is 90s all week.

I didn't check the temps in the middle of the night, but it was 69 when I went to bed and their lights come on before I wake up, so I'm not sure how cold it is in here atm since their cages have started to heat up. I would try coffee cups, but this screen is flimsy and the ones I have would be too heavy. If I can't find something to hang the light from, I'll see if I can find anything to sit it on like smaller lighter coffee cups.

I switched to a 40 watt bulb and so far the screen isn't hot like it was under the 60, but his basking spot is only 80 right now. It seems really cold in my room though right now, but I'm always cold.

I apologize. When you said it was hot at night I was imagining something sweltering like 80-85 degrees. 69 seems a good night time temperature.

I apologize. When you said it was hot at night I was imagining something sweltering like 80-85 degrees. 69 seems a good night time temperature.

It's ok :) Actually this week has been pretty cold, so it hasn't been real hot in here and I've had the windows closed. Tomorrow it goes up to 82F. I swear only in Pittsburgh we'll have a low of 30F and then high of 82F like 3 days later. Temp fluctuations drive me nuts. I haven't had a chance to get him a tree yet but my boyfriend said he'll buy him one this weekend, so we'll have him out of his cage and maybe even out in the sun if it's sunny on Sat :cool:

Back
Top Bottom