Please help, male or female??

Amanda1902

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the forum!

I got my 1st Panther Chameleon in February this year. We were told that he is a male but he isn't showing any strong colours yet.

He is about 8 months old and is very tame, he loves being handled but mainly with me.

I'm a little unsure whether he is in fact male, or do I have a little girl?!

Please could you guys have a look at my pic and tell me what you think?

Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 181
at 8 months old the colors should be obvious. also the bulge is usually very apparent

Its very possible its a female and does look to be female by that photo. Can you post a whole body shot as well

I vote for female too but your chams front legs looks a little bit wavy to me :/ Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your input.

What do you mean about the front legs being wavy? I take it that's not a good sign? :(

It appears female.

However, the front arm appears to have a double joint in it.

what are you feeding and supplementing with?

He eats mainly Locust and wax worms as a treat. He has never really eaten crickets although we have tried him with them on numerous occasions. The food is always coated in nutrobal & repashy calcium plus.

We feed the locusts cabbage and other veg coated in the calcium too

I'm starting to panic now :(

There is something wrong with her front arms.

I suspect MBD.

what uvb bulb are you using?

You may want to consult a vet in your area.

The light is a UVA UVB 100w bulb. D3 Basking Lamp (Arcadia)

When he was a few months old, he was struggling with his coordination as in when he walked he would grab at his face. We spoke to the guy in the shop where we bought him from and he said it was calcium deficiency. He said that if we increase his calcium he should be fine. We did this and he did improve, in fact he walks perfectly.

I am really concerned now that you have pointed this out to me. It looks like we will be paying the vets a visit!

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Oh just realised I've said "he" all through my message, it's going to take a while to start saying "she"!

Last edited:
The light is a UVA UVB 100w bulb. D3 Basking Lamp (Arcadia)

When he was a few months old, he was struggling with his coordination as in when he walked he would grab at his face. We spoke to the guy in the shop where we bought him from and he said it was calcium deficiency. He said that if we increase his calcium he should be fine. We did this and he did improve, in fact he walks perfectly.

I am really concerned now that you have pointed this out to me. It looks like we will be paying the vets a visit!

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Oh just realised I've said "he" all through my message, it's going to take a while to start saying "she"!

the grabbing of the body is a sign of MBD.

However, it appears your efforts were not enough (not saying its your fault).

The arms appear to have breaks in them, which gives them that rounded extra joint look.

YOu will need a vet for a calcium level test, and to potentially prescribe more meds to help

the damage is done, but you can halt the progress of the disease.

I feel so bad and absolutely gutted.

I will be ringing the vets first thing in the morning.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Do not feel bad about this. You are doing the best you can with the information you have been given. It's very difficult to contradict advice from someone you feel has more authority than you when it comes to complicated things such as chameleon care.

The most important thing is to learn as much as you can, and this forum is a great place to start. There is some basic information here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/ or you can go for a rummage in the forums and see exactly how many other people have had the exact same issues.

A vet check is a good idea to do from time to time, see it as a check-up rather than an emergency call. If it's MBD, as others have said, it's not going to get better or worse overnight, so please don't panic yourself.

Thank you so much Trillian, that has made me feel better.

It makes me upset that I didn't notice sooner but like you said, I can do something about it now.

This forum is fantastic with really helpful and knowledgable people.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and thanks to camimom for all your help.

I'll let you know how my 'girl' gets on at the vets. (I'll have to think of a new name, I don't think Geoffrey now suits her!).

Sorry to see your chameleon is having problems. Are you 100% sure that your light emits UVB? Lack of uvb and calcium are the main causes for Metabolic bone disease(which your cham has unfortunately). If you were supplementing with calcium and providing uvb, your chameleon should not develop the disease. I have seen maybe one or two rare instances where a chameleon has gotten MBD and it was provided the proper uvb along with calcium. It is possible, but not common.

Thanks Carol,

Yes that's what it says on the box. It is what the guy in he shop said we needed.

I have given plenty of calcium and always gut load her food.

I will see what the vet says because I'm really concerned now.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom