PLEASE HELP I think my cham is dying

Lighting - I have a orangey small heat lamp that's been on all the time, and a larger heat lamp that I switch with a UVB bulb. the UVB is on for around 5-6 hours.

Along with what everyone elses advice, make sure you start a proper lighting schedule. The chameleon will only need a basking light and a UVB light. If the basking spot is around the 85*F mark, no other heat lights are needed.

Basking light and UVB light should be on at the same time for 10-12 hours. Let the chameleon have total darkness at night with no additional heating unless your room temp goes below 55*F (some say 50*F). If your room temp does drop below the 50*F mark, use a ceramic heat emitter for additional heating at night.

Proper light schedule and temp drops are good for the chameleon and mimic its natural habitat.

Just an update. I've been giving her showers everyday. She is still not eating, she seems to be getting worse and has to lean against her plant as she can't stand fully.

One more thing, when I have to force feed her she doesn't swallow and the liquid food the vet gave me is just staying in her mouth, what shall I do?

Just an update. I've been giving her showers everyday. She is still not eating, she seems to be getting worse and has to lean against her plant as she can't stand fully.

One more thing, when I have to force feed her she doesn't swallow and the liquid food the vet gave me is just staying in her mouth, what shall I do?
Not a lot more you really can do just keep giving her your all and pray she makes a turn around how ever I was still wondering if you know if she has layed egg's b4 and does she have a laying bin I pretty positive she is not gravid as she is not showing any signs of being but she sounds egg bound (not saying she is)

Not a lot more you really can do just keep giving her your all and pray she makes a turn around how ever I was still wondering if you know if she has layed egg's b4 and does she have a laying bin I pretty positive she is not gravid as she is not showing any signs of being but she sounds egg bound (not saying she is)

She has a laying bin yes, she has had it for a couple months and was digging every so often but never laid any eggs :(

Also, because of how uncomfortable she looks, do you think it's best to take her to the vet to put her out of her misery?
It's a horrible question I know, but I want her to get better but at the same time I feel so guilty letting her suffer :(

She has a laying bin yes, she has had it for a couple months and was digging every so often but never laid any eggs :(

Also, because of how uncomfortable she looks, do you think it's best to take her to the vet to put her out of her misery?
It's a horrible question I know, but I want her to get better but at the same time I feel so guilty letting her suffer :(
Well I can't answer this for you I believe in keeping hope alive however If u believe there is no hope for her then it would be the responsible thing to do

In any case it's better to take her to the vet since he/she can better judge if there is something to save.

Sorry you're in this mess.

Yes, I think that would be the kindest thing to do. I am truly sorry you are facing this.

She took a long, long time to get this way. You don't mention how long you've had her, but it sounds as if you haven't had her long. While your husbandry isn't very good, I suspect you bought a very unhealthy chameleon.

She definitely has some sort of bone disease whether it is caused by improper lighting or diet (lack of Vitamin D3 and calcium) or it is caused by kidney failure. Kidney failure is a leading cause of death of captive chameleons and it can usually be traced to poor hydration. Twenty seconds of misting three times a day is nothing.

Turning around such an ill chameleon takes a tremendous amount of skill. Novices just don't have that knowledge. Chameleons can linger a long time... Please take her to the vet.

Again, I'm so very sorry your are going through this. If you want to get another chameleon, please read the care sheets and be set up before you buy one. You can PM me and I'll be happy to help you.

Yes, I think that would be the kindest thing to do. I am truly sorry you are facing this.

She took a long, long time to get this way. You don't mention how long you've had her, but it sounds as if you haven't had her long. While your husbandry isn't very good, I suspect you bought a very unhealthy chameleon.

She definitely has some sort of bone disease whether it is caused by improper lighting or diet (lack of Vitamin D3 and calcium) or it is caused by kidney failure. Kidney failure is a leading cause of death of captive chameleons and it can usually be traced to poor hydration. Twenty seconds of misting three times a day is nothing.

Turning around such an ill chameleon takes a tremendous amount of skill. Novices just don't have that knowledge. Chameleons can linger a long time... Please take her to the vet.

Again, I'm so very sorry your are going through this. If you want to get another chameleon, please read the care sheets and be set up before you buy one. You can PM me and I'll be happy to help you.
Take her to the vet and have her put down?
Thanks for the informative post.

She's starting to go white

Attachments

• IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 394
She is dehydrated and underweight. She needs a stool sample checked for parasites and a vet visit.
First:
No more handling except to administer care, until she improves.
Second: no more mealworms
Third: place her on a plant and place her in a shower, that is cooler than bath water, but just warmer than room temp, and aim the shower spray at the wall, so that the water bounces off the wall and splashed the plant and the chameleon. Leave her in the shower 20-60 mins, and so this daily. Get a misting system!!!
Fourth : review the caresheet on the forum and compare your supplements, lights, and temps to the caresheet. Adjust accordingly.

The good news is that she doesn't appear to have anything that can't be fixed with improved husbandry.
Everything they said mealworms are horrible for a chameleon roaches and hornworms are way better then waxworks and mealworms. hope she gets better.

And i have used a credit card to open the mouth of my chameleons but more like an insurance card like laminated paper so not a hard plastic like a credit card cause it may hurt her but put it in and wiggle it back and forth very gentle until you get past the gums then open her mouth. i hope this helps good luck.

Back
Top Bottom