Please help, gravid issues.

Still just waiting. The girl is very dark gravid colors most of the time, besides in the morning. Kind of lazy lately. Still eating normally.

My veiled just had her first clutch of 64 eggs. She was behaving the same way yours is. She was lazy but still eating normally up until the evening she layed them. She started digging around 8pm and did not finish covering it up until 3am. I checked on her every hour with the IP Camera I told you about. She slep on top of her nest until about 8am. I had covered her cage about a month ago to give her privacy. She hadn't seen me the entire time, as soon as she saw me when I uncovered her she pretty much attacked the front door of her enclosure so I would feed her, normal behavior for her. I gave her a cup full of every kind of dusted feeders you can think of so she could pick what she wanted to eat. After she ate her fill I turned her mister on for about 30mins, she probably drank for a good 25 of those mins...

Hang in there, she knows what to do! Be sure to have her some food and water ready to go and I'm sure you will both do just fine!

This usually isn't indicative of a chameleon of your age, but I encourage you to research follicular stasis. It's a type of egg binding where the eggs aren't fully formed or are misshapen. It's caused by poor nutrition early in life (like at a stupid petco), followed by proper nutrition in the following months. Their bodies speed up abrubtly, so quickly that the follicles don't have time to become eggs. It's always good to ask for a scan at the vet. I believe it to be common amongst chameleons from places like petco. Good luck!

The Flash said..." Their bodies speed up abrubtly, so quickly that the follicles don't have time to become eggs" ...I'd like to read about this because IMHO follicular stasis comes from the progression to ovulation being slowed down, not the bodies speeding up.
Usually if it's follicular stasis the follicles show up in the xrays as round. If they are oval then the chameleon may have dystocia (egg binding) but at this point we don't have enough information.

Jason93w....is she sitting low in the cage, eyes shut during the day, etc?

You might want to look up the posts about Ophelia... I posted her xrays from both visits in May. Short version: she was from petco, showed physical signs of having eggs, vet felt for eggs and said there wasn't anything formed (still follicles). She could either continue to make eggs or could possibly re-absorb them.at that stage. I followed @kinyonga feeding schedule. She started digging and took a month to lay them. Towards the end (I had no idea how close she was to laying), I was freaking out and took her for xrays again which didn't show much change. She laid eggs that were very soft, mottled white and pale yellow, no shell. I was just so thankful she was sucessful!

@opheliaeatsbugs The eggs had no shells???? Do you have a photo?
I posted a photo at the time... I'll post the thread link when I get back to my laptop. The eggs were soft and spongey and did not have a hard shell. I remember Dr. Greek being surprised that she had eggs on the xray because you couldn't feel them. I spent weeks stressing that they weren't going to be firm enough to lay.

I hope Katacara is right, and I'm just over worried. She still hasn't dug any. She was laying on the bottom of her cage a few hours after she woke this morning. Wich I had never seen her do before. I kind of shoed her up to make sure she was alright. She returned to her branch and seemed okay. But this has been the only instance of anything like that. Never sleeping during the day. Usually laying on her favorite branch. Darker in color. Still eats like a champ. Just trying to wait it out. Cage is covered with the laying bin in there. Getting more and more worried =/

I hope Katacara is right, and I'm just over worried. She still hasn't dug any. She was laying on the bottom of her cage a few hours after she woke this morning. Wich I had never seen her do before. I kind of shoed her up to make sure she was alright. She returned to her branch and seemed okay. But this has been the only instance of anything like that. Never sleeping during the day. Usually laying on her favorite branch. Darker in color. Still eats like a champ. Just trying to wait it out. Cage is covered with the laying bin in there. Getting more and more worried =/
It is so hard to not stress... I think most of us stress. I took O to the vet which helped calm my fears.

A few months later and she finally laid! Took much long than expected, she was huge. Dug half the laying bin onto the floor and appears to have gotten them all out successfully! Took her about 24 hours for the whole thing. Spent most of the night digging. Thanks for all the help.
That pictures is afterword, looks like a rough night!

Back
Top Bottom