Ophelia has laid her eggs

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
Finally.

I plan to write up a blog on her first clutch, but for now, just wanted to let you know that she has laid 54 eggs. The laybin is still in her enclosure (hopefully, she is finished but with her I just don't know for sure). She was 163g at the last vet appt. and today weighed at 140g. She is eating and drinking, but I haven't seen a poop in 1.5 days. I worry that she still looks a little eggy.
20170609_115843.jpg
20170609_120232.jpg
20170609_121604.jpg
20170609_121657.jpg
20170608_121004.jpg

Thanks everyone who got us this far!
@Nursemaia @Andee @jannb @kinyonga and everyone else!

Congrats! 54 is allot of eggs but you could still keep the laying bin in for awhile. She does look a tab big to have just laid. An x-ray would be the only way to know for sure if there's more eggs. I'm not a vet but some of the eggs look so yellow that they don't look calcified to me. Maybe we can getLynda (Kinyonga) to take a look at this thread. Eating and drinking is a very good sign. It will take her a few days to poop.

I too am worried slightly about the looks of the shells, but at least they are out now. 54 eggs is larger than preferred, but could have been much worse. I have seen veiled who have laid 80 eggs in one sitting and then gone back and laid another 30 or 40. Though of course they were being way over fed etc etc. Hopefully this is all Ophelia has and the extra egg look will disappear in a few days. At least the actual laying went smoothly ^^

The eggs look a little "old" if that makes sense...almost like she was trying to resorb them.
I'm so glad she laid them though! I hope it was all of them.

Some things I wonder about - and a few observations:

1. Do the eggs seem small on average?
2. The eggs are soft/spongey, but firm - not like one would expect an egg from a chicken/bird to be like. No shell that one could crack/peel off.
3. The eggs are yellow and white (2 colors). There is a yellow substance inside (when I open the egg, it looks like there would have been a yolk - I have a video if it would be interesting or helpful to see).
4. If the vet had not been Dr. Greek, I would be very frustrated (and possibly angry) with the vet. But I realize that, like he said, sometimes it's very difficult to know with only an xray - the only way to know definitively would be surgery (to know what is going on inside). I am considering spaying (is that the right term for reptiles?).
5. Dr. Greek said that his opinion was she was not ready to lay; she was in a state where she could be reabsorbing them. This goes along with @kinyonga thoughts above.
6. Why would she lay eggs if she was trying to reabsorb them.
7. Is it normal for a veiled to dig for 3 weeks before laying?
8. Of our experiences in the last 6 months, what can be attributed to genetics, individuality or my husbandry and how can I adjust so that next time is better for us both?

By the way, yes I am relieved that we have made it this far - but in no way do I feel like I have crossed the finish line with O. I have a feeling that there is more going on (either this clutch isn't fully expelled, or there is something wrong with her). Maybe it's just my mommy-sense in overdrive, but I am seriously concerned.

I am going to continue to listen to my vet - whom I do trust - who said, if she is eating, drinking, pooping and is active ... there is no reason for intervention. So far, as weird as she is... she seems to have this under control and does whatever she feels she needs to do.

If you have any thoughts on my wonderings above, I'd love to hear them - especially #8. She means the world to me and I want to learn and be better for her.

I do agree that after this one blows over that spaying is a perfectly fine decision as long as Dr. Greek feels she is in a good place for it. They sound like they feel normal, most reptile eggs come out leathery and they harden later on (I think chameleon eggs are similar?). The inside sounds normal to me. Since they weren't fertilized. That's all I can answer for now

IMG_4983.PNG
Wonderful news @opheliaeatsbugs my girls looked very similar to yours . As well was her first clutch . She had been on several rounds of any biotics . She also took a very long time to lay . Don't know if this help with your girl and some of your questions .

View attachment 183498 Wonderful news @opheliaeatsbugs my girls looked very similar to yours . As well was her first clutch . She had been on several rounds of any biotics . She also took a very long time to lay . Don't know if this help with your girl and some of your questions .
Thanks :) I called Dr. Greek to let him know (left a message) and he called back (left me a message). He didn't seem concerned. So I'm just going to keep my eye on her :)

Finally.

I plan to write up a blog on her first clutch, but for now, just wanted to let you know that she has laid 54 eggs. The laybin is still in her enclosure (hopefully, she is finished but with her I just don't know for sure). She was 163g at the last vet appt. and today weighed at 140g. She is eating and drinking, but I haven't seen a poop in 1.5 days. I worry that she still looks a little eggy. View attachment 183488 View attachment 183489 View attachment 183490 View attachment 183491 View attachment 183492

Thanks everyone who got us this far!
@Nursemaia @Andee @jannb @kinyonga and everyone else!

Well half the battle is over, now if she will just go back to "normal" you will be on a roll. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom