Please help, gravid issues.

8FBF4DB8-64AA-4A33-9AE2-99C64ECE0E69.jpeg

I noticed this! I didn’t know it was actually a condition. I just looked it up after reading this. What causes this? Her supplements should be good. I will start using the reptivite instead of the supplement. I was using, which was straight vitamin A instead of beta carotene. First noticed it when she was getting really big. Tounge always works good, since she laid she has missed here and there, which is unusall. Figured that was just from the stress of laying. Otherwise perfectly healthy behavior

Tongue issues can be from lack of calcium which would make sense since she just produced eggs...so just make sure she has a good diet and you dust the insects with phosphorous-free calcium a bit more than normal for a few feedings.

They often develop edema when gravid...just keep an eye on it to see if it goes away.

Tongue issues can be from lack of calcium which would make sense since she just produced eggs...so just make sure she has a good diet and you dust the insects with phosphorous-free calcium a bit more than normal for a few feedings.

They often develop edema when gravid...just keep an eye on it to see if it goes away.
What exactly is edema? Is it like the swelling of the throat, calcium deficiency that causes something? I'm thinking of breeding Gracilior, and I hear that over supplementation can cause it for them.

Gular edema is the swelling of the throat. It can be the result of over supplementing things like vitamin A or from kidney failure or a few more things...including being gravid. Usually when they are gravid and getting it it goes away after the eggs are laid. I don't think calcium would have anything to do with it...at least not directly....but phosphorous can.

Gracillor/quads are prone to it more than some species but I don't know why.

This might help...
http://chamworld.blogspot.ca/2008/01/health-section-f-gout_28.html

Last edited:
Her calcium is on point, phosphorus free. I’m happy it can be normal after being graves. She was on antbiotics for a couple weeks prior to laying. Seemed to be a little rough on her body. But she’s off and better now, should be a happy Cham. Thanks for all the help

Me to thank you. I saw her do a weird thing, it was like a gape. But I’ve seen a lung infection before and they tend to sit with the mouth open for a long time, in one spot.
This was different, she opened her mouth as far as she could, puffed up, and kinda squirmed her body. Did this a couple times.
Has anyone ever experienced this? I’ve read they are known to yawn, to me it didn’t look like that.

Interesting. Took some digging but I found some other cases of this online to. Personally I think it’s kind of a digestive thing, trying to move that food through there stomach or something.

Back
Top Bottom