PLEASE HELP CHAM INJURED ??

i woke up this morning and went over to see Miss Bean (my 6 month old female veiled) on the bottom of her habitat her color looked so off and her back legs were tucked under her stomach. I have attached photos of what she looks like right now. Called into all local vets and vet ERs none have any open appointments until later this week. I have bought liquid calcium for her which I read on here that is what most cham owner recommend I put her on a heating pad on the lowest setting and set towels on top of it and then bean and it helped her make a bowel movement i don't know what to do bean is my best friend i think she may have fell off a vine or branch i don't know what to do please IMG_5233.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5234 (1).jpg
    IMG_5234 (1).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5235 (1).jpg
    IMG_5235 (1).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 113
woah this is way beyond my level of expirience how did she get like that color? did half her body get burned?
no half of her body this morning looked grainy with green and black and now she is half black and it is almost her whole body she isn't burned i think she fell on her spine from a vine i don't know i was asleep

Poor baby.

I'm not very expirenced but the black color is probably be bruising from the fall. You said she's having trouble moving her back legs, is she moving her tail? A video might help.

In any case I'd try and find an emergency vet to take a look.

Poor baby.

I'm not very expirenced but the black color is probably be bruising from the fall. You said she's having trouble moving her back legs, is she moving her tail? A video might help.

In any case I'd try and find an emergency vet to take a look.
her tail moves but she isn't using it or moving it, it just kind stays curled up

First I would suggest getting her off of the heating pad. It could burn her too easily and add to her problems. To get the best idea of what may be going on, if you could fill this out and provide pics of her whole enclosure.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

@bigboujeechameleonlover You need an exotic animal vet. Call around find one that is and tell them you have an emergency to bring in. It is more expensive but they will see you this way. A reptile Vet though because a regular Vet will not be able to help you.

This is far beyond what we can help you with. I have never seen anything like it in the almost 2 years that I have been here.

I really wish you the best of luck. A spine injury seems the most possible. I think you did good things to help her out. Considering chams have a habit of moving through pain she may be physically incapable of grabbing things.
I am not a vet but maybe until you can get her to a vet put some fake leaves around her and a stick so she can have her front feet in the right position and feel like she's hiding while injured.

Chameleon Info:
  • Species: Veiled Chameleon
  • Sex: Female
  • Age: I got her on May 6th of 2020 when she was just a little baby
  • How long I've had her: Since May 6th of 2020
  • Handling: everyday she loves to sit on my shoulder and go outside for outside time
  • Feeding - I feel her mealworms i let her eat them until she seems to not be interested anymore i see if she is hungry everyday though
  • Supplements - fluker's liquid calcium reptile supplement , Repti Calcium without D3
  • Watering - I mist her every day and yes i see her drinking today i ordered one of those leaf water drippers for her on amazon so that should be here tomorrow
  • Fecal Description - she has had normal coloration of fecal i haven't seen a fecal in a while though she did go today it was just i guess the chameleon pee part
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage 16" L X 16" W X 30" H
  • Lighting - zoo med double uvb one is a blue light for night and the other is the day light for the day
  • Temperature - the temps during the day in her habitat is 76.6 and at night the thermometer says 113
  • Humidity - i need to get a humidity thermometer ordered that on amazon
  • Plants - all fake plants
  • Placement - the cage is on my room across from my bed
  • Location - north of dallas texas

Current Problem - she is turning black and back legs and tail won't function normally IMG_5240.png

Chameleon Info:
  • Species: Veiled Chameleon
  • Sex: Female
  • Age: I got her on May 6th of 2020 when she was just a little baby
  • How long I've had her: Since May 6th of 2020
  • Handling: everyday she loves to sit on my shoulder and go outside for outside time
  • Feeding - I feel her mealworms i let her eat them until she seems to not be interested anymore i see if she is hungry everyday though
  • Supplements - fluker's liquid calcium reptile supplement , Repti Calcium without D3
  • Watering - I mist her every day and yes i see her drinking today i ordered one of those leaf water drippers for her on amazon so that should be here tomorrow
  • Fecal Description - she has had normal coloration of fecal i haven't seen a fecal in a while though she did go today it was just i guess the chameleon pee part
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage 16" L X 16" W X 30" H
  • Lighting - zoo med double uvb one is a blue light for night and the other is the day light for the day
  • Temperature - the temps during the day in her habitat is 76.6 and at night the thermometer says 113
  • Humidity - i need to get a humidity thermometer ordered that on amazon
  • Plants - all fake plants
  • Placement - the cage is on my room across from my bed
  • Location - north of dallas texas

Current Problem - she is turning black and back legs and tail won't function normally View attachment 273838
There are multiple husbandry issues that can be addressed with you AFTER you get her Vet care. This needs to be the priority. When they turn black it is not a good thing.

More then likely she has suffered a spinal injury from a fall due to inadequate UVB lighting and supplementation making her bones more fragile from MBD, Metabolic Bone Disease. If this is the case then the outlook is not good.

You need an exotic animal vet. Call around find one that is and tell them you have an emergency to bring in. It is more expensive but they will see you this way. A reptile Vet though because a regular Vet will not be able to help you.

This is far beyond what we can help you with.

Back
Top Bottom