Please Critique my Setup

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm coming up on 3 weeks of owning Peri. He will be 5 months old tomorrow October 2nd. I'm just looking for any comments on if I'm doing something wrong or could be doing something different. As many of you know I've spend a lot of time and money getting ready for Peri. So I figure this is my next logical step to making sure he stays healthy and has a long happy life. I'm not currently having any issues with Peri and I'd like to keep it that way.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Panther, owned almost 3 weeks, will be 5 months old on October 2nd.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only the first day when I introduced him to his new home and two times the first week when I had to move him out of the way. He walked right up onto my hand without any issues.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Currently feeding 10-12 1/2" crickets and 5 1/4" Dubia, he is currently not eating the Dubia's. I also feed him 5 silk worms and 5 bsfl on alternating days. I gut load the crickets and dubias with a mixture of Arcadia Insect Fuel, Repashy bug burger, and bee pollen. He will take a silk worm from my hand after 1-2 minutes, been doing the trust building for the past two weeks.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus LoD every feeding. I'm only dusting 6 of the crickets with the supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mist King-2 nozzles. 2 1/2 minutes 15 minutes before lights go on and 2 1/2 minutes 30 minutes before lights go off. I have seen him drink a few times when I was home during the day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown fecal and white urate. Was tested by @Chameleon Mike before I received him and I have his first vet appointment scheduled for this coming Saturday October 5th. Picture of today's dropping, the plant light makes it look grey but it is brown in color.
  • Fecal.jpg
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No issues yet besides not eating the dubia's.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Bio Active Exo Terra Glass 36x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am-7pm Dual LYR fixture with Arcadia 6% and Arcadia Plant Pro bulb. UV is 2.9 at the branch level and 3.5 at Peri's back. Measured using a solarmeter 6.5R. 7am-6:30pm basking lamp is a 60 watt incandescent bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Overnight temp is 66 degrees. 78.5 degrees at the basking branch. 82.3 to 82.6 at Peri's back. Back temperature is taking using a heat gun. Temp is controlled using a herpstat 2. Sensor one for the basking light is set to 78.5 degrees. Sensor two is connected to a muffin fan that is connected to a speed switch set to low. The fan kicks on when the temp reaches the 78.5 degrees and has a 2 degree threshold to it. I have two dual digital temperature/humidity gauges also in the enclosure. First one is half way down and reads 72 degrees and between 55-60% humidity. The second one is at the bottom and reads 68 degrees and 60-65% humidity.
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OWVUJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55-65% during the day and 99% during the night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants, string of bannanas, wandering jew, pothos, monstrea, umbrella, polka dot, bromeliad, and fire star plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Downstairs mancave. I'm only down there a little bit after work each night and on the weekends. Muffin fan on top of enclosure controlled by herpstat for air flow. Room humidity is usually 55-60% and temperature is usually 66-68 degrees all year long. Enclosure sits on top of the Exo Terra stand designed for this enclosure. Top of the enclosure is 63" off of the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pennsylvania.

I think that is all the information I can think of.

Thanks for any input,

Tony

The wandering jew looks wonderful in your enclosure. I'm seriously impressed (code word for jealous) at your amazing setup. I know how much work you put into it. I have no comments other than the humidity may be a smidge high for day time but that could be just me. Mine drops to about 35-40% during the day.

The wandering jew looks wonderful in your enclosure. I'm seriously impressed (code word for jealous) at your amazing setup. I know how much work you put into it. I have no comments other than the humidity may be a smidge high for day time but that could be just me. Mine drops to about 35-40% during the day.

Thanks, I've come a long way since the start of this crazy journey.

The sensors are on the back wall between the hanging banana plant and the wandering jew plant. So I'm sure the humidity is lower more towards the top and front of the enclosure where the branches and vines are.

My room humidity is also always 55-60% so that would help keep it up. This is also one of the reasons I decided on a panther instead of a veiled chameleon.

Oh my gosh...... AMAZING!
When you said critique did you think something was wrong, because it looks awesome.
Thanks for the comments.

No, I hope nothing is wrong. But there is so much to learn all at once. Like I just found out the other day I should only be dusting 6 of my crickets since they have a lot of surface area and the supplement was sticking to them so well.

Looks great! Hope to see the plants fill in more space. I like opening my enclosure to have plants burst out at me.
I agree, the wandering jew is growing like mad. It is almost twice the size then when I put it in a month ago.

I do see new buds growing on the Umbrella and Monstrea plants, But I guess they are slow growing plants?

I agree, the wandering jew is growing like mad. It is almost twice the size then when I put it in a month ago.

I do see new buds growing on the Umbrella and Monstrea plants, But I guess they are slow growing plants?

I never had luck with a umbrella plant. I opted for braided ficus. Swear I've killed like 13 umbrella plants.

Monstera need to a chance to dry out completely every now and then. Only ever had the one tho.

What about air circulation?? I know I have read that’s important this looks like walls on all 4 sides ??
It’s an exo Terra terrarium. These have small intake vents in the front lower panel (above bioactive layer). These vents draw in cool fresh air as your heating element and/or lighting creates warm currents resulting in a chimney effect. It works incredibly well, my only complaint about these cages are the sizes. It would be great if there was a larger model, but the largest is very heavy, and difficult to transport safely as is, so I understand the constraints.

It’s an exo Terra terrarium. These have small intake vents in the front lower panel (above bioactive layer). These vents draw in cool fresh air as your heating element and/or lighting creates warm currents resulting in a chimney effect. It works incredibly well, my only complaint about these cages are the sizes. It would be great if there was a larger model, but the largest is very heavy, and difficult to transport safely as is, so I understand the constraints.

Largest glass I've found (that isn't outrageously priced) is the atasuki 48x18x48. It is a knock down and would require a little "extra" sealing of walls to the base once assembled though. But, at ~$280, it's not a bad deal for a big glass cage considering the cost of the 36x18x36 exo is about the same.

I'm coming up on 3 weeks of owning Peri. He will be 5 months old tomorrow October 2nd. I'm just looking for any comments on if I'm doing something wrong or could be doing something different. As many of you know I've spend a lot of time and money getting ready for Peri. So I figure this is my next logical step to making sure he stays healthy and has a long happy life. I'm not currently having any issues with Peri and I'd like to keep it that way.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Panther, owned almost 3 weeks, will be 5 months old on October 2nd.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only the first day when I introduced him to his new home and two times the first week when I had to move him out of the way. He walked right up onto my hand without any issues.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Currently feeding 10-12 1/2" crickets and 5 1/4" Dubia, he is currently not eating the Dubia's. I also feed him 5 silk worms and 5 bsfl on alternating days. I gut load the crickets and dubias with a mixture of Arcadia Insect Fuel, Repashy bug burger, and bee pollen. He will take a silk worm from my hand after 1-2 minutes, been doing the trust building for the past two weeks.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus LoD every feeding. I'm only dusting 6 of the crickets with the supplement.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mist King-2 nozzles. 2 1/2 minutes 15 minutes before lights go on and 2 1/2 minutes 30 minutes before lights go off. I have seen him drink a few times when I was home during the day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown fecal and white urate. Was tested by @Chameleon Mike before I received him and I have his first vet appointment scheduled for this coming Saturday October 5th. Picture of today's dropping, the plant light makes it look grey but it is brown in color.
  • View attachment 247407
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No issues yet besides not eating the dubia's.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Bio Active Exo Terra Glass 36x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am-7pm Dual LYR fixture with Arcadia 6% and Arcadia Plant Pro bulb. UV is 2.9 at the branch level and 3.5 at Peri's back. Measured using a solarmeter 6.5R. 7am-6:30pm basking lamp is a 60 watt incandescent bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Overnight temp is 66 degrees. 78.5 degrees at the basking branch. 82.3 to 82.6 at Peri's back. Back temperature is taking using a heat gun. Temp is controlled using a herpstat 2. Sensor one for the basking light is set to 78.5 degrees. Sensor two is connected to a muffin fan that is connected to a speed switch set to low. The fan kicks on when the temp reaches the 78.5 degrees and has a 2 degree threshold to it. I have two dual digital temperature/humidity gauges also in the enclosure. First one is half way down and reads 72 degrees and between 55-60% humidity. The second one is at the bottom and reads 68 degrees and 60-65% humidity.
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OWVUJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55-65% during the day and 99% during the night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants, string of bannanas, wandering jew, pothos, monstrea, umbrella, polka dot, bromeliad, and fire star plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Downstairs mancave. I'm only down there a little bit after work each night and on the weekends. Muffin fan on top of enclosure controlled by herpstat for air flow. Room humidity is usually 55-60% and temperature is usually 66-68 degrees all year long. Enclosure sits on top of the Exo Terra stand designed for this enclosure. Top of the enclosure is 63" off of the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Western Pennsylvania.
  • View attachment 247409
  • View attachment 247410
  • View attachment 247411

I think that is all the information I can think of.

Thanks for any input,

Tony

Looks awesome, like goose, I can't wait to see the end results of the plants filling in.

I think all the care, time and money that you put into your enclosure shows. You did your homework and spent the time to do it right the first time. I think Peri will grow up happy and healthy. He is lucky to have you in his life. Keep up the great work.

Largest glass I've found (that isn't outrageously priced) is the atasuki 48x18x48. It is a knock down and would require a little "extra" sealing of walls to the base once assembled though. But, at ~$280, it's not a bad deal for a big glass cage considering the cost of the 36x18x36 exo is about the same.
I bought my exo for $149. Always on sale at the shows.

Back
Top Bottom