Plants for hiding

Hi all, what are some recommendations for plants to have in my Chams cage? Both Real and Fake recommendations would be nice. What are plants you guys use for more hiding spots and foliage for your chams cages?

Hi all, what are some recommendations for plants to have in my Chams cage? Both Real and Fake recommendations would be nice. What are plants you guys use for more hiding spots and foliage for your chams cages?
Fake plants aren’t generally recommended, especially for veileds. They are leaf nibblers and have been known to eat fake leaves and get impacted. I use pothos (live) which gives nice vines for climbing and leafy cover for hiding, plus a quick snack. Dracaena, schefflera, wandering Jew and philodendron are also nice and safe. Many use ficus benjamina (weeping fig) too.

Fake plants aren’t generally recommended, especially for veileds. They are leaf nibblers and have been known to eat fake leaves and get impacted. I use pothos (live) which gives nice vines for climbing and leafy cover for hiding, plus a quick snack. Dracaena, schefflera, wandering Jew and philodendron are also nice and safe. Many use ficus benjamina (weeping fig) too.

I have a Panther Cham who is completely uninterested in eating the plants haha but thank you for the recommendations! I have a Schefflera that he loves to climb on. Will probably invest in a pothos soon!

With live plants, I know it’s recommended to cover the soil with larger river rocks. I don’t live in an area with any near me, just gravel. Do you guys know where I could buy some if that’s a thing ? I don’t wanna use fake rocks because I know the coating can peel off over time and be a hazard to the baby.

With live plants, I know it’s recommended to cover the soil with larger river rocks. I don’t live in an area with any near me, just gravel. Do you guys know where I could buy some if that’s a thing ? I don’t wanna use fake rocks because I know the coating can peel off over time and be a hazard to the baby.
I got mine from my local home depot. I think the ones I got are called "Mexican beach pebbles". Despite the name, they are quite large

If you get a pothos, and you trim it back when it grows back it will be much bushier. They can tend to get leggy but this solves the issue nicely. I also use spider plants in my enclosures.

Are braided hibiscus good for a enclosure or do they get too big?
You can prune them and they need a lot of light. I think eventually you would have to replace it with a smaller one if it outgrows then enclosure. I had one in my outdoor enclosure and had to trim it.

I got several bags at one of the local dollar stores (I forget which one—there are 3 chains in this area). Pay attention to size. The pebbles I got came in 2 sizes, lg & sm.; I got the larger ones, and selected those that my lizard can't swallow.

Avoid the black ones; they're pretty, but they're painted and coated with something waxy. If ya gotta have 'em all the same color, there are safer ways.
reptile safe paint

Back
Top Bottom