Planted Chameleon Tank

Classy

Hello! I'm not going to be setting up my chameleon tank for a little bit, but I do have some questions. If I do use live plants, what type should I use ( I'm going to be keeping a Veiled ) I've read about that pothos and hibiscus are good. If any of you have have chameleons in planted tanks, could you provide pictures? Or would it be better to use some real some fake, or all fake. Also, how would I put the plants in there, like how would they potted? Thanks!

Hello! I'm not going to be setting up my chameleon tank for a little bit, but I do have some questions. If I do use live plants, what type should I use ( I'm going to be keeping a Veiled ) I've read about that pothos and hibiscus are good. If any of you have have chameleons in planted tanks, could you provide pictures? Or would it be better to use some real some fake, or all fake. Also, how would I put the plants in there, like how would they potted? Thanks![/QUOT
I use pothos shefflera and ficus, I just put them in a pot small enough to fit in the cage but big enough to hold the plant. Also I recommend doing a layer of eco earth on top of what ever other soil you use, also I would recommend putting some non-swallowable rocks on top of the dirt. I got a shefflera from my local Home Depot and it was already big enough to fill up pretty much the entire enclosure. Also with pothos you can do a magnetic planter because it's kind of like a vine and it grows downward.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.JPG
    IMG_8185.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 117
Also with veileds I personally have some, but I would not recommend fake plants, they sometimes like to eat the plants. I'm probably going to take mine out when I'm home from vacation

Also with veileds I personally have some, but I would not recommend fake plants, they sometimes like to eat the plants. I'm probably going to take mine out when I'm home from vacation
Thank you for telling me, I'll make sure not to use fake

Thank you for telling me, I'll make sure not to use fake
When I first got him, the first time I ever saw him drink I didn't have any real plants yet, and I thought he was eating the fake plant so I flipped out lol. But I haven't seen him eating the fake plants but I've noticed a few bite marks on the live.

I use live everything and soil for my 3 chameleons. Veileds should have live imo. Pothos are okay. Schefflera, palms, dracaena are also good and easy. Hibiscus are excellent if you can provide light. You'll have to cycle them in and outside or possibly a jungle dawn spotlight might hold up.

Attachments

• 20170623_132449.jpg
    20170623_132449.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 109
I use live everything and soil for my 3 chameleons. Veileds should have live imo. Pothos are okay. Schefflera, palms, dracaena are also good and easy. Hibiscus are excellent if you can provide light. You'll have to cycle them in and outside or possibly a jungle dawn spotlight might hold up.
How did you hid the pots like that?

It depends on the substrate being used. people say no substrate because most sold over the counter are dangerous and useless. A properly set up *living* soil can help the animal thrive. Soil is safe and possibly healthy when consumed in small amounts. Bark, rocks, and random junk can cause choking and impaction. Unfortunately the substrate most people use isn't good. Im all for the *bioactive* it possible. All my panthers have it. Make sure you do you research if you go that route.

That's a good list. Thanks @etclement. With a veiled you have to be a little more picky with plants. Even pothos are high in oxalates, although I'm not sure if anyone has ever experienced an issue from it. If you're going to plant your cages from the substrate, make sure to understand how it works and what you're trying to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom