Planning for summer outside in AL

wafflesmom

I have been reading on here about the chams stay outside. I've read about too much heat, humidity and etc. Seeing how I haven't seen any post from people in AL with chams outside, I'm wondering?
When the heat/humidity hits during the summer, it's BAD! I have a russian tortoise that stays out year round. She does fine during summer but when it gets really bad, she'll dig under a few inches and chill there during the hottest part of the day.

I'd love to keep Rupert outsideduring summer but I don't want the high humidity causing respiratory problems like I read can happen. Of course there's the rain too.

So, is there anyone here from AL? Is it possible to keep a chameleon outside during the summer here.

I live in dallas tx and it is possible to keep chams outside here through much of the summer. I would think the humidity would not be an issue. Intense heat is what you need to be concerned about so make sure you have plenty of shade spots for your cham to get out of the direct sunlight if he wants. I plan to build an outdoor enclosure that catches morning sun so they can get in a good basking before it gets too hot.

If I remember right, you have a Veiled so temp/humidity should not be an issue. I agree with Reptoman that cage placement is important, you would not want to put the cage in full sun all day. My cages get direct sunlight for about 4 hours of the day. I also angle the cages so the visual barrier between each of the six cages creates a 100% shade area in about 1/3 of the cage area, in addition to plant shade.:D

Nick

There are many members here who live in Florida, I also think Nicodemayo lives in AL. They can all give you tips on how to keep you cham. outside safely. A lot of keepers in Florida keep their chams. outside and your temps. and humidity are very close.

Ok, thanks!

Yes, I have a veiled.

I've made screen cages outside before for orphaned squirrels and birds to stay in until released. For Rupert, we're gonna make one lighter so when it's time to come in for winter, we'll be able to carry it in and through the doors.

I don't have many problems with wildlife out here b/c of an electric fence that surrounds my property. So, 4 legged critters stay away but there are hawks that my chickens alarm about. Because of them and my 2 outside cats, I'm thinking Rupert's enclosure will be inside a 6 ft 10x10 chain link kennel.....just have to move it out of goats yard...hahaha. It has a screen shade cover securely attached to the top.

I do have lots of shade trees and also my garage that shades a huge area during the hottest part of the day. Even with the shade cover, the way the sun moves across my back yard Rupert would have both sun and shade.

I would love to keep him on my front porch which would be perfect but I live on a dead end road with not many neighbors My house and garge has been broken into once. Then there's the unruly country bumpkin teens that wander this was and I could see someone stealing him off my porch!

I live in dallas tx and it is possible to keep chams outside here through much of the summer. I would think the humidity would not be an issue. Intense heat is what you need to be concerned about so make sure you have plenty of shade spots for your cham to get out of the direct sunlight if he wants. I plan to build an outdoor enclosure that catches morning sun so they can get in a good basking before it gets too hot.

make sure both of you protect your chams from strong storms, i know in dallas, afternoon T storms can sneak up on you pretty quickly, but at the same time a good breeze can help cool the cham down when needed

Back
Top Bottom