Glass or screen for middle Europe

ChameLeon_

So, I'm based in middle Europe, Slovakia.

Humidity here is on average about 40-60% if i try to keep it up by using humidifiers in rooms etc, and not using heating that much in winter. Temperature here in flats are about 20-21°C in winter with drops as low as 15°C if i go crazy on opening windows while freezing outside, which i do not do, so inside the real drop is to some 19-20 minimum. During summer it's about 24-25 during day, depends on month and hest waves these days, and drops to 22-23 during night.

My question is, as I'm going to build my own cage, would full screen be better or should i go hybrid with let's say 2 solid sides and 2 screen + top side screen as well? Or perhaps only 1 solid and rest screen, or all solid only front and top screen?

I don't want the inside to be too hot for him, and at the same time i don't want it to have too little humidity due to fully screened cage, so 2 solid 2 screen seems like a good middle ground? Thanks!

As long as you have a full screen front and a screen top, you can do what you want. I think DIY screen is a pain, so 3 sides of plexi, even if opaque, would be easier to build and clean. I think Beman had a cage made with 3 sides of uv resistant "sign" material that was precut. Though you do look a bit weird ordering 3 blank signs that are 1.5m x1m etc :p

As long as you have a full screen front and a screen top, you can do what you want. I think DIY screen is a pain, so 3 sides of plexi, even if opaque, would be easier to build and clean. I think Beman had a cage made with 3 sides of uv resistant "sign" material that was precut. Though you do look a bit weird ordering 3 blank signs that are 1.5m x1m etc :p

Most cham species are fine with 9-10c at night, as long as you provide a 30c basking area during the day.

I was mainly concerned whether he won't be too hot if i enclose it like that? Since temps here are a bit on the higher part of scale recently.. but maybe backside plywood, one side clear plexi and rest screen could work? At least it will be easier to attach branches and stuff..

I was mainly concerned whether he won't be too hot if i enclose it like that? Since temps here are a bit on the higher part of scale recently.. but maybe backside plywood, one side clear plexi and rest screen could work? At least it will be easier to attach branches and stuff..
If the entire front and top is mesh, it shouldnt get hotter than a normal full mesh cage. You basically just made a chimney, so cool air gets sucked in the front and shot out the top as warm air rising. If it does get too hot for some reason, many people just put a small pc fan either sucking hot air out the top, or blowing cool air into the bottom, just to help with convection.

If the entire front and top is mesh, it shouldnt get hotter than a normal full mesh cage. You basically just made a chimney, so cool air gets sucked in the front and shot out the top as warm air rising. If it does get too hot for some reason, many people just put a small pc fan either sucking hot air out the top, or blowing cool air into the bottom, just to help with convection.
Allright, thank you for advice! I'll go with 2 solids then i suppose, it makes misting easier as well at least! Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom