Places to get plants?

BabyChamCham

Established Member
Oswin's pothos has taken a bad turn,and I took it out to try to revive it. Only problem, his cage is way to non-plant filled. Any ideas on places I can get either large fake plants or real for a good price?
I'm in the Dallas,Texas area.

Attachments

• 1491176787663-1603926481.jpg
    1491176787663-1603926481.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 120
For the most part, all of my stuff is faux (mostly due to the fact that I suck at keeping plants alive).

There's one fantastic thing that is real and also free. Got a neighbor who's trimming their trees? Take some of those branches, the sturdy thick ones, and bake them in the over for a little bit (this assures that they will be clean of pesticides and safe). Set those up, and if you'd like to help stablelize them, take some big rocks and throw them in there too.

That should fill a good portion and provide a great base. After that, head over to a local pet store and grab some fake vines and foillage. Use the branches to support the vines by wrapping them around and then letting them fall from there. Foillage can just stick out anywhere, and can also be secured with trimmed zip or twist ties.

Other places, such as craft stores like Micheal's and stuff will most likely offer a better and cheaper selection of foillage if you check there, but make sure it's safe!

Here is my setup: (note that the housed chameleon is still a baby so I've left a lot of open space not to overwhelm him and allow him to more easily hunt down feeder insects).
IMG_8107.JPG

^ cage above needs more plant cover

As for live plants, go to nurseries they're everywhere, check out home depot, lowes, etc. I got some large plants from home depot for cheap. All those stores have tons of plants though. Also maybe add a plant bulb? Don't take offense to this, but it's hard to kill a pothos,. I left a pile of them out of soil, on paper towels untouched for a couple months and they made it. I don't have a veiled so I'm not sure how picky you have to be with their plants since they tend to eat everything, but schefflera, dracaena, and pothos have been awesome for my panther. Add in a bunch of branches and you're good to go.

For the most part, all of my stuff is faux (mostly due to the fact that I suck at keeping plants alive).

There's one fantastic thing that is real and also free. Got a neighbor who's trimming their trees? Take some of those branches, the sturdy thick ones, and bake them in the over for a little bit (this assures that they will be clean of pesticides and safe). Set those up, and if you'd like to help stablelize them, take some big rocks and throw them in there too.

That should fill a good portion and provide a great base. After that, head over to a local pet store and grab some fake vines and foillage. Use the branches to support the vines by wrapping them around and then letting them fall from there. Foillage can just stick out anywhere, and can also be secured with trimmed zip or twist ties.

Other places, such as craft stores like Micheal's and stuff will most likely offer a better and cheaper selection of foillage if you check there, but make sure it's safe!

Here is my setup: (note that the housed chameleon is still a baby so I've left a lot of open space not to overwhelm him and allow him to more easily hunt down feeder insects).
View attachment 179652

The fact that it has less foliage is likely to cause him more stress than having it over planted. Babies feel desperately exposed without enough foliage and get extremely terrified. They are likely to get more dehydrated too.

The fact that it has less foliage is likely to cause him more stress than having it over planted. Babies feel desperately exposed without enough foliage and get extremely terrified. They are likely to get more dehydrated too.
He's seemed actually quite happy, and oddly likes to be in the open. Rarely has he gone down into the covering I have provided, his first night he slept there, but other than that he walks about the vines. His color stays a vibrant, nice green and hasn't shown any signs of stress. If you ask me, he's a bit of an odd ball considering that he also already loves to be handled and is relaxed with that too.

^ cage above needs more plant cover

As for live plants, go to nurseries they're everywhere, check out home depot, lowes, etc. I got some large plants from home depot for cheap. All those stores have tons of plants though. Also maybe add a plant bulb? Don't take offense to this, but it's hard to kill a pothos,. I left a pile of them out of soil, on paper towels untouched for a couple months and they made it. I don't have a veiled so I'm not sure how picky you have to be with their plants since they tend to eat everything, but schefflera, dracaena, and pothos have been awesome for my panther. Add in a bunch of branches and you're good to go.
I know, Im thinking the mister over watered it , or bugs. These little flying bugs are all over it..

I get my cheap plants at Lowes or Home Depot. My Lowes has a rack of half price indoor plants that usually just need to be watered or have finished blooming.

What andee said^ they seem to come when there is rotten stuff in the soil or roots. If the plants are dying with flies all over it's probably because of the rotten roots sitting in water, i know of this all too well :(

It can take years to get a good spider plant going tho..... I recieved a small sproutlet Spider plant from my gardener grandma and it is still surprisingly little.

He's seemed actually quite happy, and oddly likes to be in the open. Rarely has he gone down into the covering I have provided, his first night he slept there, but other than that he walks about the vines. His color stays a vibrant, nice green and hasn't shown any signs of stress. If you ask me, he's a bit of an odd ball considering that he also already loves to be handled and is relaxed with that too.
Chams like to be up at high as possible. That's why he likes being in the "open". Not because he likes it. He likes being up high. You definitely need more foliage up high for the little guy.

Pothos and umbrella would be better for a veiled... ficus can cause some upset tummies if the sap is ingested.

Chams like to be up at high as possible. That's why he likes being in the "open". Not because he likes it. He likes being up high. You definitely need more foliage up high for the little guy.
I added quite a bit more to his habitat today, lots of fitted branches that reach across the cage width for him along with some nice faux vines and foliage all over the place. The leaves definitely do help with holding water to drink, which makes life a little more easy. Seems to be having a lot of fun exploring all the new goodies :)

Back
Top Bottom