Pitcher Plant in Veiled Enclosure

Hello! I’ve been silently browsing through the forums for almost a year now but have never made a post. I bought some dragon ledges and about to redo my chams enclosure today. I’ve been growing “Veiled Tested” plants before adding to the enclosure and wanted some advice on adding the pitcher plant in there. The plant is still small and hasn’t grown full pitchers yet, Im not concerned about my cham falling in since he’s around 8/9 months old but I wanted to know if it’d cause him any harm if he nibbled on it. and also if he flicked his tongue into the pitchers? Thanks!

Well welcome to the forum. Happy to have you here. So they are not considered veiled tested. Meaning people have not been actively been putting them into enclosures with Veileds because it is always a risk since they eat their plants. The veiled tested plants are basically plants that have been used for many years within the hobby and veileds have not immediately died from them. @snitz427 I believe uses them but I am not sure if she has them in with her veileds or her Panthers.

Here is the sheet we utilize when it comes to plants that have been veiled tested.

chameleon academy plants.png

@jamest0o0 has had them in his enclosures, and I have too (but I quickly killed it). The pitchers are actually edible! The foliage and pitchers are a little thicker than other plants, so probably not something they’d eat much of if they tried.

A year old veiled should be ok. It would need to be a pretty large sized pitcher to risk them getting inside. They CAN get that big over time, with great care. I’d try a smaller common species like nepanthes alata. If you start with a small plant, it will be a long time before you have to worry about pitcher size.

They need bright light and to pretty much stay consistently wet. So make sure its high enough up near your LED and under a mister.

Welcome to the forum. Did you happen to read the other recent thread?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/carnivorous-plants-in-habitat-good-or-bad.186313/

You might also peruse the archives...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1652455/?q=pitcher+plant&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1652458/?q=pitcher+plant&o=relevance

Hello! I’ve been silently browsing through the forums for almost a year now but have never made a post. I bought some dragon ledges and about to redo my chams enclosure today. I’ve been growing “Veiled Tested” plants before adding to the enclosure and wanted some advice on adding the pitcher plant in there. The plant is still small and hasn’t grown full pitchers yet, Im not concerned about my cham falling in since he’s around 8/9 months old but I wanted to know if it’d cause him any harm if he nibbled on it. and also if he flicked his tongue into the pitchers? Thanks!
No problem nibbling on them.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=carnivorous+plants+toxic+to+reptiles?

The digestive fluids in the pitchers can be acidic ... (worst case: similar to lemon juice, vinegar) 😗
The pitcher fluid of Nepenthes is acidic, generally ranging from pH 2 to 6* depending on the species [65]. The fluid contains high concentrations of digestive enzymes
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0723202015000909#bib0680
... but the way many/most pitchers are constructed—fairly opaque with a very narrow opening at the top—I think it would be difficult for a chameleon to dip/flick a tongue down into one. Why would they? Both food & water are (or should be) much more accessible elsewhere in the enclosure.

* Common examples of acids and bases (scroll down)

My panther wasn't interested in the plant at all except as another vine to climb on.

Pitcher plants are nice because they can be hung. I've tried Venus Flytraps & Sundews as well, but they don't hang well, and need to be in very wet soil. Made a mess of the enclosure floor, so they're on the plant table right next to the enclosure instead. Everyone is happier (except the bugs). :)

Last edited:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/carnivorous-plants-in-habitat-good-or-bad.186313/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1652455/?q=pitcher+plant&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=carnivorous+plants+toxic+to+reptiles?

The digestive fluids in the pitchers can be acidic ... (worst case: similar to lemon juice, vinegar) 😗

... but the way many/most pitchers are constructed—fairly opaque with a very narrow opening at the top—I think it would be difficult for a chameleon to dip/flick a tongue down into one. Why would they? Both food & water are (or should be) much more accessible elsewhere in the enclosure.

My panther wasn't interested in the plant at all except as another vine to climb on.

Pitcher plants are nice because they can be hung. I've tried Venus Flytraps & Sundews as well, but they don't hang well, and need to be in very wet soil. Made a mess of the enclosure floor, so they're on the plant table right next to the enclosure instead. Everyone is happier (except the bugs). :)
@jamest0o0 has had them in his enclosures, and I have too (but I quickly killed it). The pitchers are actually edible! The foliage and pitchers are a little thicker than other plants, so probably not something they’d eat much of if they tried.

A year old veiled should be ok. It would need to be a pretty large sized pitcher to risk them getting inside. They CAN get that big over time, with great care. I’d try a smaller common species like nepanthes alata. If you start with a small plant, it will be a long time before you have to worry about pitcher size.

They need bright light and to pretty much stay consistently wet. So make sure its high enough up near your LED and under a mister.
thank you so much! it is a nepenthes alata, i love it so much and was really hoping i could put it in there without me being paranoid 24/7. i’ve been doing a lot of research before and after i got it, i have it in front of my window that gets direct sunlight for most of the day and is doing super good so far! do you think only having it near the uvb light will be enough? i was thinking about getting the sansi grow light but just haven’t yet. if it’ll die without the grow light i’ll just hold off on putting it in there until i get it :)

thank you so much! it is a nepenthes alata, i love it so much and was really hoping i could put it in there without me being paranoid 24/7. i’ve been doing a lot of research before and after i got it, i have it in front of my window that gets direct sunlight for most of the day and is doing super good so far! do you think only having it near the uvb light will be enough? i was thinking about getting the sansi grow light but just haven’t yet. if it’ll die without the grow light i’ll just hold off on putting it in there until i get it :)
I don't think there's any reason to be paranoid about it.

Calm Down Be Cool GIF by Kev Lavery
o_O

Unfortunately, the UVB won't do much for it at all. You'll need a plant light for your other plants regardless. We have many Sansis of various configurations & wattages in 3 enclosures. Great lights. Sansi coupons

I had to split mine (looks a lot like nepenthes alata) into 2 pots. I hung one in the enclosure w/ 70W Sansi, and the other in an east-facing box window. Both are growing like gangbusters, but I still alternate/rotate them twice a year.

I don't think there's any reason to be paranoid about it.

Calm Down Be Cool GIF by Kev Lavery
o_O

Unfortunately, the UVB won't do much for it at all. You'll need a plant light for your other plants regardless. We have many Sansis of various configurations & wattages in 3 enclosures. Great lights. Sansi coupons

I had to split mine (looks a lot like nepenthes alata) into 2 pots. I hung one in the enclosure w/ 70W Sansi, and the other in an east-facing box window. Both are growing like gangbusters, but I still alternate/rotate them twice a year.
awesome! again, thank you! very helpful, i’ll definitely be getting the 70w :)

They are on the approved list, nepenthes is Latin name. My veiled tried to eat but they are too tough. He did hit inside a pitcher once so my advice is only put in dead bugs and he will ignore them. They need to drain well and as mentioned lots of light but NOT heat.

Regarding why would they flick into a pitcher-- that's what I thought until I put a BSF in one and Dino spied it swimming.

They are on the approved list, nepenthes is Latin name. My veiled tried to eat but they are too tough. He did hit inside a pitcher once so my advice is only put in dead bugs and he will ignore them. They need to drain well and as mentioned lots of light but NOT heat.
why no heat? because it’ll dry out? i wanted to put it near his basking area since i also want it close to the grow light (once i get it). i thought nepenthes did good in warmer spots :(

why no heat? because it’ll dry out? i wanted to put it near his basking area since i also want it close to the grow light (once i get it). i thought nepenthes did good in warmer spots :(
Only lowland species like heat, the one you have will take a little more but they are basically Montane plants. A big night drop will help
Sorry last response was brief. It does also dry too much when up high. I have best results with them about a third of the way down but with a spot type source of light on them..I have a Jungle Dawn across my entire cages but a Sansi plant light directed at them.

I do think they are worth the trouble, as they add a lot of beauty and the vines can be directed all over the cage, although slender they are tough and can handle the weight of an adult veiled.

The majority of my plants are currently outside, staying outside all year in SoCal. In partial shade, it is getting down to 45 degrees at night and they are very happy and putting out new growth. It is in the summer in high heat that they struggle.

Regarding why would they flick into a pitcher-- that's what I thought until I put a BSF in one and Dino spied it swimming.
Valid. Looking at mine, he'd have to be at exactly the right angle to see something like that—the pitchers are opaque (could be a special difference?)

I've also never dropped a live bug in one; they're a good way to recycle uneaten dead feeders. :)

Valid. Looking at mine, he'd have to be at exactly the right angle to see something like that—the pitchers are opaque (could be a special difference?)

I've also never dropped a live bug in one; they're a good way to recycle uneaten dead feeders. :)
Agreed! A great way to never waste a bug. This one was injured, couldn't fly but he could buzz around.

And yes this is a nep with what is called "tubby" pitcher, short and fat and have large opening sort of like a toilet bowl :)

Back
Top Bottom