Carnivorous plants in habitat - good or bad?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
I raised some carnivorous plants several years ago just because I thought it would be fun and fascinating. Actually, it ended up to be quite boring. But now that I have a chameleon and a bioactive bottom I'm wondering if I could/should add a few to the habitat? I'm thinking it might keep any pests that I don't want under control but will it also eat the stuff that I DO want in my chammy cage? Thoughts and experiences anyone?
Sue

You have a Veiled so putting anything in there that is not Veiled tested is not recommended due to them eating their plants. Pitcher plants have been used with other species of cham but only when chams are big enough not to fall in. Most Veiled keepers will keep carnivorous plants in the room around the cage to help with the pest bugs but never in the cage due to the known risks of them eating them.

chameleon academy plants.png

You have a Veiled so putting anything in there that is not Veiled tested is not recommended due to them eating their plants. Pitcher plants have been used with other species of cham but only when chams are big enough not to fall in. Most Veiled keepers will keep carnivorous plants in the room around the cage to help with the pest bugs but never in the cage due to the known risks of them eating them.

View attachment 319983
Ahhhhhh, very good point about her trying to eat the plant. These would be in the bioactive substrate and I never ever see her down there but why risk it. Thanks for the reminder!
Sue

Carnivorous plants pose no problems for a chameleon, lest they be small enough to fall in and not be able to climb out. They are not toxic to humans, dogs & cats, or reptiles.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=carnivorous+plants+toxic+to+reptiles?

Other than that, they usually require wetter soil conditions, and most are full-sun, so make better hangers. Check individual species requirements, and caveats in the article below. I've had pitcher plants hanging in my enclosure, and their vines make for good climbing.

https://reptilesmagazine.com/carnivorous-plants-for-beginners/

Last edited:
Carnivorous plants pose no problems for a chameleon, lest they be small enough to fall in and not be able to climb out.

Other than that, they usually require wetter soil conditions, and most are full-sun, so make better hangers. Check individual species requirements and caveats in the article below. I've had pitcher plants hanging in my enclosure, and their vines make for good climbing.

https://reptilesmagazine.com/carnivorous-plants-for-beginners/
Thank you. :)
Sue

Oops.... just thought of something: since it's bioactive that means I have springtails and isopods down there. Do you think they will be attracted to the pitcher plant and it will wipe out my bioactive critters? :oops:

Oops.... just thought of something: since it's bioactive that means I have springtails and isopods down there. Do you think they will be attracted to the pitcher plant and it will wipe out my bioactive critters? :oops:

Nah, my isopods and springtails are doing just fine. 😁

Not likely. Carnivorous plants (other than Audrey II 😛) aren't active hunters, and your CUC would have to climb them to get trapped. Don't CUCs usually stay in the soil? (rhetorical) :unsure:

Ahhhhhh, very good point about her trying to eat the plant. These would be in the bioactive substrate and I never ever see her down there but why risk it. Thanks for the reminder!
Sue
If you have a female she will be laying eggs in the substrate... Which means possibly digging up plants.

If you have a female she will be laying eggs in the substrate... Which means possibly digging up plants.
Yeah, still on the fence whether he/she is a male/female. I'm 90% sure female, but every once in a while I catch a glimpse of a heel spur on one rear leg. So you're right - any of the "landscaping" I'm planning for the bottom of the habitat may all get uprooted (either by me or her) if he is a she!
Sue

Yeah, still on the fence whether he/she is a male/female. I'm 90% sure female, but every once in a while I catch a glimpse of a heel spur on one rear leg. So you're right - any of the "landscaping" I'm planning for the bottom of the habitat may all get uprooted (either by me or her) if he is a she!
Sue
If you post some pics, members can confirm a gender. It is also worth noting that sometimes, though rare, females can develop heel spurs.

If you post some pics, members can confirm a gender. It is also worth noting that sometimes, though rare, females can develop heel spurs.
Thanks, did that a while back in a separate thread, popular consensus was "female" but some saw a questionable possible spur, too. I had her out today and looked closely..... I'm now 99% female.

So.... time to rethink my landscaping. Would she prefer to use the bioactive substrate or would a bin of sand be easier for her? I think that would be easier for ME so that I could then know when she's done, examine and count the eggs, leave my plants in place, etc. Plus the bioactive substrate is covered with leaves, then spagnum moss, then some earth, soon to be followed by the barrier. I think the bin would be easier for her but if those with experience think she's going to go for the more "natural" earth bottom, I'll remove some plants and clear her an area in a few months.
Sue

Back
Top Bottom