Carnivorous plants in habitat - good or bad?

That got me to wondering about the frequency of hermaphrodites. :unsure:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1647879/?q=hermaphrodite&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Not saying I think that in this case—I have no idea. 🤷‍♂️

Just one of those...

You sure do like to confuse me, don't you!? Now I don't know if I should buy her a dress or slacks, or both? Oh.... wait......I'm showing my age.... gender doesn't really determine that anymore, does it. :rolleyes:

Dinomom has some great carnivorous plants in her habitat. Hope she chimes in with some pictures. (y)
Sorry for being late to the party!

Neps do great with veileds BUT they probably wont survive down in the sub as they need extremely high light. You can see one in the pic in the upper right and one vining across the middle. Honestly I doubt they are going to catch a lot of bugs, but they come in handy when you have a dead bug to get rid of! I have a few down midway, you have to experiment as they have varying light requirements.

The real ace is butterworts for catching the florid flies and gnats. Also needing a lot of light (up high, but not getting dried or baked) but they will attract the bugs from anywhere in the cage. Not sure if they are veiled safe as they are not on the list, but I had one with my veiled and got very annoyed as he immediately ate the flowers. So this one in with my k boehmei is very happy and doing its job.

Assuming you have a 48" cage I don't think there is any CP that will do well unless you have extremely powerful lights-even a Jungle Dawn is not enough for that distance.

VFT and American Pitcher Plants are a no-go unless you are willing to take them outside for the winter for dormancy.

Attachments

• Dino nep.jpg
    Dino nep.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 65
  • El butterworts.jpg
    El butterworts.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 62
Sorry for being late to the party!

Neps do great with veileds BUT they probably wont survive down in the sub as they need extremely high light. You can see one in the pic in the upper right and one vining across the middle. Honestly I doubt they are going to catch a lot of bugs, but they come in handy when you have a dead bug to get rid of! I have a few down midway, you have to experiment as they have varying light requirements.

The real ace is butterworts for catching the florid flies and gnats. Also needing a lot of light (up high, but not getting dried or baked) but they will attract the bugs from anywhere in the cage. Not sure if they are veiled safe as they are not on the list, but I had one with my veiled and got very annoyed as he immediately ate the flowers. So this one in with my k boehmei is very happy and doing its job.

Assuming you have a 48" cage I don't think there is any CP that will do well unless you have extremely powerful lights-even a Jungle Dawn is not enough for that distance.

VFT and American Pitcher Plants are a no-go unless you are willing to take them outside for the winter for dormancy.
PS that is also a nepenthes that Elliot the small cham is standing on.

+1. I had the Nepenthes hanging in the 48" enclosure under two 70W Sansis. It did pretty well, and we had to remove it and split it. Since then they've been hanging in the front window where Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants still climbs on them, and it's looking like we'll have to split them again.

I have no idea what we'll do with 4 of them! :eek:

I didn't know that about VFTs. Winters here are too cold to put them outside, but it seems to be bouncing back from dormancy anyway. Time will tell. Same with our Sundew.

Well then your nep is happy! Maybe you can find someone to trade varieties.

Sundews don't need dormancy with a couple of exceptions.

VFT are perfectly happy to be in freezing to 20s or brief 10's overwinter-if you have below zero they need to be buried under earth/compost etc. they can survive without dormancy for a time but will never thrive.

Well then your nep is happy! Maybe you can find someone to trade varieties.
Oddly, I never thought of that. We found all of them at a water garden specialty store that carried hundreds of species of CPs (Pre-Covid). They may have cut down—IDK. We were expecting all these to die (being our first foray into CPs) and to go back for more different varieties, BUT THEY ALL LIVED! :eek: 😆 Silly us. Looking forward to going back anyway—it was a really :cool: place with all kinds of koi & stuff.

Sundews don't need dormancy with a couple of exceptions.

VFT are perfectly happy to be in freezing to 20s or brief 10's overwinter-if you have below zero they need to be buried under earth/compost etc. they can survive without dormancy for a time but will never thrive.
Good to know—THX! 😁 They're all still alive right now, so I guess we'll see what happens as the year progresses... ⌛

Back
Top Bottom