pin worms in panther

Yak

:confused:Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ambilobe, panther, male, six months, in my care for 4 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? twice a week.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Mainly crickets, 7-10 daily, occasional dubia, occasional superworm, occasional silk worm
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ExoTerra calcium w/o D3; Multivitamins by zoomed with D3 3x month
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist twice a day and don't move until I see them drinking, MistKing on order, but for now just manually
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poop dark brown with white leader, seems "normal", has NOT been tested yet*
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Just about a month ago I introduced a Hibiscus plant in his cage, with small rocks covering, I've noticed he's been eating dirt from that plant, I wash his cage weekly and make sure the pebbles go back but he seems to grab them and toss them.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? all screen cage from zoo med, 18x18x36
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1 reptisun 5.0 uvb, one reptsun tropical 5500k plant light, 1 65 watt basking bulb, lights go on at 6:30am and go off at 7pm on timer
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 77º - 87º overnight is 60º thermometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 48-60 humidity measuired with a digital sensor made by Oregon Scientific
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus and Photo
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? elevation of the cage is 36", in a hallway with low traffic, no windows or fans near by
Location - Where are you geographically located? East Bay, California near Oakland

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Just yesterday I noticed the panther chameleon "Kamy" was going poo, and ouit of his rear were two small 1/16" white worm like things, I remember seen those on kittens and puppies before. Pin worms and tape worms alike. I did panic a bit, and went to the local store looking for Panacur, they were out. My vet out on his honeymoon and wont be back until middle of September. There is another vet but he charges an arm and a leg, in addition to have costed me my Jackson female a couple of months ago during a miss-diagnose. The woman at the store recommended DT, I bought it but I am concerned and waiting for some research or advice. NOTE: I have been buying crickets from one source, and they have lasted a month until they were all consumed by my four chams. Recently I bought crickets from this one store, just yesterday I got 50, today nearly all of them were dead. So I am suspecting a virus. My cham seems healthy and he is eating well, with the exception of the nasty creatures living inside of him.... HELP!!

Please refrain from sarcastic or ironic comments. Not the time for comedy as I am very stressed out about the situation.

edit: needless is to say I disposed all the crickets, because I don't want any infestation of the baby cricket colony and or dubia. they are in different rooms

What is "DT"? If they are in fact pinworms, which you don't know for sure unless they're tested, if the chameleons is asymptomatic and not having any problems they don't necessarily need to be treated for them. Pinworms in small numbers are usually not problematic and in fact there is some evidence of a symbiotic relationship of pinworms and tortoises.

I would have a fecal sample looked at to confirm what the worms are. A vet tech can do that, usually for a low fee. If it is indeed pinworms, and you are familiar with proper dosages, you can buy panacur online. for example: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113 (careful that you dont accidentally give a horse-level dosage)

Hi,
I am not familiar with proper doses, he is 6mo. "healthy" average panther
Thank you, I will order from them.

A six month old male panther? He is reaching sexual maturity, perhaps what you saw were sperm plugs which are nothing to worry about.

A six month old male panther? He is reaching sexual maturity, perhaps what you saw were sperm plugs which are nothing to worry about.

they did not move, some how this was during poo and they went back inside.

What is "DT"? If they are in fact pinworms, which you don't know for sure unless they're tested, if the chameleons is asymptomatic and not having any problems they don't necessarily need to be treated for them. Pinworms in small numbers are usually not problematic and in fact there is some evidence of a symbiotic relationship of pinworms and tortoises.

Hi FIMS, I meant to say DS (the name scapes my mind but is fossil powder) this Holistic approach to alternative medicine. I am relieved by your statements. I hope it does not affect him long term.

hibiscus vs. umbrella

Watch your panther. all of mine showed a HUGE preference for umbrella plant over the hibiscus. so did my jacksons. of course, the veils love the hibiscus. watch for wandering around the bottom. all of mine were mad and let me know it. switched them back to umbrella and they went back to hanging out.

Back
Top Bottom