Pictures of preg chams please!

draftgirl

Hi there, I am concerned my graceful may be pregnant. I am doing all the research I can right now. Does anyone have pictures of their chams while gravid? Or any ideas how I can tell. She was with males ( I thought they were to young) when I got her. Still eating good, no health issues. She just seems to be really checking out the bottom of her cage allot and looks very pudgy. As well as a increase in her cricket consumption. She is eating like a little happy horse. :)

Does she have a laying bin available? They don't have to breed to develop eggs so she very well may be gravid. Everything you're describing sounds consistent with being gravid. I would definitely put a lay bin in with her asap if she doesn't have one already.

I will put one in today. She is still eating allot, and I wasnt sure what type of lay bin. I did see some posts that said she just laid the eggs on the bottom of the cage. (there is nothing on the floor of her cage right now) What type of lay bin? Deep or shallow? I havent been able to find specific info on Gracefuls. :(

At least 12" deep opaque container - one of the tupperware tubs that are a few bucks from walmart or target work well. I use half organic soil and half sand and make it moist enough that if you make a little tunnel it holds its shape and doesn't collapse. Make sure there is a stick or two that goes into it so she can get in and out. My panther female doesn't drop off in appetite at all right before she lays. She eats up until she digs.

If you take a look at my picture gallery my female graceful was gravid at the time I took the picture I can put up more if you'd like.

What they said. I had a female who ate just before she started digging! She looked like a balloon but still ate. She ate a little less than normal a week before laying but still took food like she had never been fed before.

Lay bin has been in place for a few days now. I moved her to a new larger cage. ( I was going to anyway) Now she doesnt seem interested in the bottom of her cage at all. :confused: She is still a fat and happy little cham. Eating well, I have cut down on her crickets quite a bit just in case she is gravid. ( Which I'm sure I have been getting dirty looks for) She is not pooping every day like she used to . I'm curious, does everyone cham poop every day? Maybe I'm just over worring cuz I'm so attached.

If she is gravid, it is not the time to cut down food. She needs the food and nutrients to stay healthy while producing eggs. Once she lays, feed well for a few days THEN cut back on her food. She will lay when she needs to, but if she starts to act off or ill a vet appointment is needed ASAP in case she is eggbound.

If she is gravid, it is not the time to cut down food. She needs the food and nutrients to stay healthy while producing eggs. Once she lays, feed well for a few days THEN cut back on her food. She will lay when she needs to, but if she starts to act off or ill a vet appointment is needed ASAP in case she is eggbound.

This is spot on advice! Can you post a picture of her?

I have only kept her to her normal amount of crickets after reading if I let her eat too much, her clutch could be too big and she could become egg bound. I am giving her gut loaded (with flukers and fresh fruits as well as dry gutload) crickets 6-10 medium a day.

Attachments

• f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 107
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 98
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 118
I have only kept her to her normal amount of crickets after reading if I let her eat too much, her clutch could be too big and she could become egg bound. I am giving her gut loaded (with flukers and fresh fruits as well as dry gutload) crickets 6-10 medium a day.

She doesn't seem to be showing gravid colors. Buy it never hurts to have a laying bin in there.

I rescued her from terrible conditions, so perhaps she is just relaxed and eating and pooping normally. She isnt showing any intrest in the lay bin but its there if she wants.

Back
Top Bottom