Pictures descriptions of setup's

BirdieF18

Hi I am close to getting my chameleon but I need some ideas can someone please post some pictures or tell me their setup eg. Trees, vines, UV, heat, size, canopies, substrate (even though I was informed I should use wet paper towels) etc. The more ideas the better.
Thanks

Wet paper towels? Why wet? I feel as though dry paper towels are easier to clean up then wet ones. I don't think there is any reason to have soaking paper towels on the floor of your cage.

As for the rest of the setup (I wish I had pictures) I always buy a large potted plant (usualy schefflera or ficus) to place in the middle of the cage, and then accent the rest of the cage with pothos that can be fixed to the sides of the cage for some nice climbing vines. The thing I really like about pothos is that they are easy to clean and grow easily.

You are going to have to post more information about the chameleon you are getting if you want to receive more feedback on specific caging and lighting requirements. Hope this helps somewhat.

Depends on the type of cham hun.

Here is my setup for my 14month old panther cham Simba:

010-11.jpg

015-11.jpg

011-17.jpg

It's a Reptibreeze Mesh Enclosure 16"x16"x30"

I have fake foliage and 4 real Yucca plants in there, as well as the Lucky reptile vines (Problems with Exo Terra ones and they are difficult to clean coz of their rough texture) these are kind of foamy so much easier!!

Reptisun 5.0 UV tube in 18" housing.

60w house bulb for basking light, temp 90F. Controlled with habistat thermostat.
Bottom of cage about 70-75F all measured with digital thermometer.
Night time about 65F I think, maybe warmer??

Humidity around 65% by misting 3 x a day and a Little dripper. Hoping to get a MistKing System soon :) Measured with analog humidity gauge.

As for paper towels....what a pain!!! I just leave the floor uncovered and wipe up any leaves/poop/insects and wipe it over with diluted pet antibac spray.

Started with towels but they were more of a hinderance to be honest.

Hope that helps :)

Depends on the type of cham hun.

Here is my setup for my 14month old panther cham Simba:

010-11.jpg

015-11.jpg

011-17.jpg

It's a Reptibreeze Mesh Enclosure 16"x16"x30"

I have fake foliage and 4 real Yucca plants in there, as well as the Lucky reptile vines (Problems with Exo Terra ones and they are difficult to clean coz of their rough texture) these are kind of foamy so much easier!!

Reptisun 5.0 UV tube in 18" housing.

60w house bulb for basking light, temp 90F. Controlled with habistat thermostat.
Bottom of cage about 70-75F all measured with digital thermometer.
Night time about 65F I think, maybe warmer??

Humidity around 65% by misting 3 x a day and a Little dripper. Hoping to get a MistKing System soon :) Measured with analog humidity gauge.

As for paper towels....what a pain!!! I just leave the floor uncovered and wipe up any leaves/poop/insects and wipe it over with diluted pet antibac spray.

Started with towels but they were more of a hinderance to be honest.

Hope that helps :)

Wow thanks this is exactly what i am among for and beautiful chameleon.:)

Thank you :)

With veileds I think the basking temps are lower, but I have never kept veileds so I'll let the experts comment on that ;)

Also, Veileds like to eat their plants so I'd be careful on plant choice.

Like I say, will let the veiled keepers advise on the correct requirements.

Forgot to mention that for drainage, I have holes drilled in the floor panel which the water drips through into a tray. (Enclosure is stood on 4 glass bowls so there is a gap underneath for the drainage tray to go under)

Last edited:
Here is mine... I'm going to make a video but it's not all the way done yet. I'm still slowly working on the interior designe. :) just adding branches and shrubery slowly so I take no chances of freaking him out.
I used PVC Trim board to frame it. (PVC does not rot, and it is mold resistant)
And FRP (shower wall) board. I drilled holes next to the drain system under the cage and ran zip ties through them and around the drain pipe in order to help hold it in place so the silicone will not be compromised by little movements.
I also built the front part of the floor a half inch higher than the back part of the floor so it is on a small slant. You can't notice it at all and water naturally flows back toward the drains.
Then I just put an empty bucket under the cage to catch all runnoff. :)

I have also added more sticks to the cage and do not have pics of that yet.... I used an actual screen door from LOWES, cut it to size and moved the bottom board up. to where I wanted it and replaced the actual screen with the black aluminum screen.. you can see through the black better than the silver.

Also, got a raindome on top.

Here a couple of pics...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sneak-preview-cage-77506/

and I'll post a couple more

Can't get any more pics to work.... The more branches and vines, the happier your cham will be.

If you call Light Your Reptile . com.. (sight sponsor) Has a bannor under view sponsors...

He will square you away with the newest lighting on the market.

I also notised that my drain holes were in the wrong place... they should have been all the way back aginst the back wall and all the way in the corners, that way there will not be any standing water at all. I did just put another piece of trim all the way around the bottom of the cage on an angle... this filled in the gap and it was not really any trouble.

Attachments

• Drainage 2.jpg
    Drainage 2.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 107
General setup:

I really like the combo light fixture from LLL Reptiles. Have a 75w basking bulb, UVB and two 6500k plant lights all in one unit:

Last edited:
Veiled cage would be exactly the same as cages already posted. The temps are higher for veilds than panthers with abys until 6 months at 85f then 90f when adult. i would use a 10.0 uvb above the screen for a veiled aswell :D

Back
Top Bottom