Picked the name Mavi... updated pics of my boy.

Cool, That’s what I was going to ask next... I’ve been searching for a provable documented case for years now with no luck. I certainly believe it’s possible, but so rare it may as well be a myth. I just can’t see it happening provided that there is anything other than the Cham in the closure. We all know crickets aren’t exactly the smartest creatures on this planet but I just cant see them being dumb enough to go attack the tree dragon that they’re trapped in a tiny box with! Not a good survival tactic!

I’m sure this post will trigger peoples love of proving other people wrong in short order. Prepare yourself for the tidal wave of stories to come!

Brody I had a dog that was fully devoured over night by a cricket.

I tend to agree it's an overblown worry. I've seen people post other reptile pictures with nasty bites they claimed were from crickets. Not sure about proof though. I think if it does happen, it's because the crickets are starving. Look at what humans are capable of doing when starving, so imagine a cricket... Another benefit of bioactive. I've had a small group of crickets, roaches, superworms, etc living in my enclosures for months and months without ever having an incident.

Brody I had a dog that was fully devoured over night by a cricket.

I tend to agree it's an overblown worry. I've seen people post other reptile pictures with nasty bites they claimed were from crickets. Not sure about proof though. I think if it does happen, it's because the crickets are starving. Look at what humans are capable of doing when starving, so imagine a cricket... Another benefit of bioactive. I've had a small group of crickets, roaches, superworms, etc living in my enclosures for months and months without ever having an incident.
Good, so you agree with me. As long as there is something else for them to eat they pose no threat.

To be honest I still can’t see it even if they were starving. If you were trapped in a tiny box with a T-Rex and you were starving would you go up to him and latch onto his ankle?

Good, so you agree with me. As long as there is something else for them to eat they pose no threat.

To be honest I still can’t see it even if they were starving. If you were trapped in a tiny box with a T-Rex and you were starving would you go up to him and latch onto his ankle?

If the t rex was sleeping and someone knew it couldn't harm them while cutting off a chunk. I think a human would do it if they had to, to survive. Heck, a few years ago in philly, a guy murdered his wife in an elevator after like a day or so(honestly can't remember) of being trapped and started cannibalizing her.

Also, I think you're giving crickets too much cognitive credit. I've seen crickets run right up to reptiles and walk on them, walk up to me on the floor, etc. Never seen one bite, but if they're oblivious enough to crawl near or over a massive predator, I doubt they'd hesitate to take a bite in close quarters while starving. And starving would kick in the flight or fight.

Anyway, I'm just messing around playing devils advocate for fun ;). I still agree with you and have argued this in old threads that I doubt it would ever happen and if someone's actually worried just leave literally anything edible in the enclosure for the crickets.

Cool, That’s what I was going to ask next... I’ve been searching for a provable documented case for years now with no luck. I certainly believe it’s possible, but so rare it may as well be a myth. I just can’t see it happening provided that there is anything other than the Cham in the closure. We all know crickets aren’t exactly the smartest creatures on this planet but I just cant see them being dumb enough to go attack the tree dragon that they’re trapped in a tiny box with! Not a good survival tactic!

I’m sure this post will trigger peoples love of proving other people wrong in short order. Prepare yourself for the tidal wave of stories to come!
There are more than 900 species of crickets are described.
Captive crickets are omnivorous; when deprived of their natural diet, they accept a wide range of organic foodstuffs. Some species are completely herbivorous, feeding on flowers, fruit, and leaves, with ground-based species consuming seedlings, grasses, pieces of leaf, and the shoots of young plants. Others are more predatory and include in their diet invertebrate eggs, larvae, pupae, moulting insects, scale insects, and aphids.
They do have relatively powerful jaws, the only research I read on them several species have been known to bite humans is on the "Journal of Horticulture and Practical Gardening, Volume 37, p.503." Not too sure how old is the data but do let me know if you find some more.

On the second note...they are the cutest thing besides a baby....we cant live without them....sometime I will sit around all day just waiting for them to speak.....not even a google translater can help...only 2 large cute eyeballs moving....dont mean to take up ur valuable time but i wish u the best of luck with Mavi.
Thank you!

Pleasure will be all mine.(y) up for Mavi.
Any way to get him more comfortable and not flare up when I try to feed him with tongs or by hand? Does it come with time? He don’t flare up if I’m just picking him up or moving something around, only if I have the tongs, could I put the tongs closer and closer into his enclosure day by day until they’re an everyday thing? Kinda let him get familiar with the sight of them?

Back
Top Bottom