Photographing Chameleons

ColorificChameleons

Established Member
While I love taking pictures of my boys I never am thrilled with the results. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a thread I could look to for information? My boys are stunning but their colors never come thru in pictures like I would like. Our newest family member, Savage, is an ambilobe with brilliant reds. The photos his breeder took were so vibrant. Mine photos just aren't. How do you get their colors so crisp?

Screenshot_20180115-122348~2.png
IMG_20180116_205213685~2.jpg

I absolutely agree with @JacksJill. I hate flash photography, so I use camera settings to compensate when I have to. It's way to cold to get out right now, so I'm having to adjust ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Thankfully chameleons are slow, so a slow shutter speed isn't an issue. This shot was hand-held, indoors, no flash, and not adjusted for incandescent light. His colors are a bit cooler than this, and his horns aren't this yellow, but I do like the saturation.

Attachments

• 0U2C8414 EE.JPG
    0U2C8414 EE.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 159
Sorry, I forgot most of the northern hemisphere is deep into winter. You can create good lighting indoors with two light sources. I've managed with craft lights that are meant to simulate sunlight.

There are several varieties of regular house bulbs (cool, daylight, etc.) You might try one of those in a regular lamp. I have ceiling lights that I have just removed the cover from to bump the illumination.

I got this picture with this lamp.

Attachments

454.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 4.09.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 4.09.40 PM.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 82
I love how my pictures outside in real sunshine comes out! A good time for outside pictures is a hour after sunrise and a hour before sunset on a sunny day! Your chameleon will initiall react to being outsie by changing his/her colors. I pick a nice warm day (but not too warm, close to the cage temperature he/she is used to) and the them to be out in the sun for 40 minutes to a hour before I take pictures. Works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom