phoenix worms, blue bottle fly spikes

jalli

does anyone have a recommendation on how to feed these ? was looking for a different feeder and came across these. also got sum hornwoms but seen the recent post. so didn't ask about them.

Phoenix worms have recently become one of my absolute favorite feeders. You pretty much have to cup feed/hand feed when they're still larvae. I had to put a bunch in the cup at the same time to get my panther cham to recognize them as food, but now he loves them. Honestly the best part imo is that you can also let them pupate and then they hatch into black soldier flies which chameleons go crazy for because they really get to hunt them

Blue bottle fly larvae have a thick skin that is hard to digest... they need to be allowed to pupate. Like Syreptyon said, cup feed the phoenix worms or allow them to pupate. I like to put a cup of worms in the bottom of the cage with a whole in the lid. They will pupate over the course of like 10 days or so and fly out. My chams love the hunt. This also makes a good vacation feeder. Working on getting a dorm fridge to set to 50 degrees so I can get several hundred worms at a time and keep them for months.

I pupate blue bottle flies in a cup with a small hole in the top in the cage. They can't really be gut loaded but make a nice treat or source of enrichment. Just make sure you look before you open your cage or one of the flies might end up circling your house for a day or two.

working on the cup feeding thing already, noticed she seems to prefer when crix get loose and she chases em around the cage. ty for the tip on the flies, they were part of a feeder package thought I'd give em a go too. only other feeder I've wanted to try is silkworms.

Silkworms are a great feeder but raising them can be labor intensive. They have no immune system to speak of so must be kept very clean. There are entire threads on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom