Petsmart Care Guide

Read it just for fun and i'm just thinking "oh hell no". Has anybody else cared to look at it? Apparently they think you should put it in a glass exo terra and put substrate in it. Also you are supposed to supplement calcium twice a week and that's it. I know the manager and we have talked before not really sure weather to call her a friend or not, I kind of want to break it to her that she has a chameleon in a 2 gallon glass aquarium but usually that kind of stuff just does't help.

I went round and round with the manager of a Petco. Their setups are standard across the corporation, so the setup in Pittsburgh is the same as a setup in LA. Supposedly the care policies for all the animals come from a corporate veterinarian. I asked if the vet flunked out of school because every aspect of the setup is wrong. It really doesn't matter what each of us says to the local stores, they have no autonomy or authority to change the setups in the store. They have heard it enough from us but cannot do anything about it.

Read it just for fun and i'm just thinking "oh hell no". Has anybody else cared to look at it? Apparently they think you should put it in a glass exo terra and put substrate in it. Also you are supposed to supplement calcium twice a week and that's it. I know the manager and we have talked before not really sure weather to call her a friend or not, I kind of want to break it to her that she has a chameleon in a 2 gallon glass aquarium but usually that kind of stuff just does't help.

Yeah, seems kinda like they get their arms twisted on this. I know a guy at my local Petco who's great with his own reptiles, but he says they just can't change anything in the stores because corporate is more worried about uneducated customers complaining to them about why that "poor chameleon" doesn't have a water dish or dirt in his tank.

Yeah, seems kinda like they get their arms twisted on this. I know a guy at my local Petco who's great with his own reptiles, but he says they just can't change anything in the stores because corporate is more worried about uneducated customers complaining to them about why that "poor chameleon" doesn't have a water dish or dirt in his tank.

What the store ends up doing for their DISPLAYS (the water dish and dirt complaints) does NOT have to be reflected in their care guides! I know customers get bent out of shape over the missing water dish, but something as simple as showing a spray bottle and an explanation card right next to the cage could deal with that complaint pretty quickly.

What the store ends up doing for their DISPLAYS (the water dish and dirt complaints) does NOT have to be reflected in their care guides! I know customers get bent out of shape over the missing water dish, but something as simple as showing a spray bottle and an explanation card right next to the cage could deal with that complaint pretty quickly.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that at a store level, they don't seem to have much control over that, especially the pamphlets they get shipped.

I've contacted Petco corporate before and gotten some BS answer about how their care guides reflect a lot of research and whatnot. I wish there was a way to get higher up and complain, but I doubt it'd make a difference.

I actually used to work at one of these stores and can back up those stating that it's an issue of them having orders from corporate to keep everything uniform from store to store.

I even offered to buy and set up a suitable screen enclosure for the chameleons but the manager could not let me do it, though I know that she wanted to allow it.

Talked to the reptile guy at my Petco and fortunately he's able to stop them from stocking Panthers and jacksons at least. I was surprised that I saw posts about those at Petcos since I never saw a panther at mine. Now I know why.

Back
Top Bottom